weekly Late starter 52

Name
nathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided that I am going to start a 52 challenge, purely because i think its the quickest way to gain more knowledge on photography and grow more confident with interesting composition, i welcome and would like to build my quality of images by peoples honest critique so Fire away,

My first entry: Week 1

first attempt at macro/nature/close up to a degree,

IMG_6734b.jpg

I will be updating a free website I created with my images and a blog entry to follow so your welcome to follow this as well if your interested in my project/words

http://a-beginner-tog-s-blog.webnode.com/blog/

cheers
Nathan

Last edited:
If you build it they will come.

Keep going with your challenge it will help you improve your photography even if no one else seems interested :).

For the record I like your photo.

Hi Nathan

apologies for not welcoming you sooner :crying:....I'm sure the others will be along shortly (y)

So...are you following the set theme's or doing your own thing each week ?

To your shot.....some good detail in the hover fly ( think that's what it is) & lovely color on the flower & good DOF so a good start (y)

Crit.....too central for me......crop a little from the rhs to lose the stray petal , maybe even crop top & bottom to even them up ( you've just clipped the lower petal )

Look forward to seeing some more from you :)

If you build it they will come.

Keep going with your challenge it will help you improve your photography even if no one else seems interested :).

For the record I like your photo.

Thank you very much, i thought the same but you helped to keep going so i will, thanks for the comments.

Hi Nathan

apologies for not welcoming you sooner :crying:....I'm sure the others will be along shortly (y)

So...are you following the set theme's or doing your own thing each week ?

To your shot.....some good detail in the hover fly ( think that's what it is) & lovely color on the flower & good DOF so a good start (y)

Crit.....too central for me......crop a little from the rhs to lose the stray petal , maybe even crop top & bottom to even them up ( you've just clipped the lower petal )

Look forward to seeing some more from you :)

Not to worry, Doing my own thing- although this is quite hard aswell as you don't want to keep doing the same thing so... Thanks for the critique much appreciated and i will revisit the image, should be posting another image today/tonight so we shall see

Hi Nathan Cuppa tea is a great image...super detail in the swirling milk , good color in the tea like the reflection (y) Crit would be the couple of highlights to the rhs & in the centre top of the glass cup...guessing at flash ?

Unfortunately so, havent got an off camera flash which would have done the job perfectly so built in had to do, thanks for the critique

week 3

not the best but run out of time in the week so used beginning of the week shot from rallyday, c&c welcome as always

10026436345_233bc6db00_c.jpg

Hi Nathan...good to see you're still posting (y)

Cute week 5...always a winner with puppies , just missed the focus on the eye's which would have lifted the shot to perfect , maybe also crop the legs out to make more of a portrait type crop as you've clipped the paws ?

Week 4...good product type shot with even lighting (y)

Week 3...like the mono but really want to see the car coming toward the camera

Weeks going by fast without posts however I have not stopped and forgotten about photos,

Week 6
Following weeks photo comes down to the last of the summer sunsets, over a well known motorway junction in Bridgend using a graduated nd filter I managed to grab a long exposure of this long sweeping section of motorway. Probably my most thought out composition as I have had this idea for some months. Anyway here is the result:

10295682726_3ac7cd7aa5_c.jpg

Week 7
Bit of a fill for this week, seen this done before but on a minimalistic scale with just 1 drop on a blanket lit CD, for my example I flicked water all over an old CD and tipped the CD at an angle, using some process of elimination and and a carefully placed led flash of a mobile phone I managed to replicate the rainbow effect so setup my shot and took the chance with the steadiest hand possible: and the result:

10544301514_bc1eee3b40_z.jpg

Week 8

This Weeks entry is from a wonderful weekend away with my wife-to-be to Tenby for her Big 21, we stayed in a stunning hotel on a very windy weekend at the beginning of november, as part of our trip we decided to visit the beuatiful secluded Barafundle Bay, I took quite a few shots here but for me this image had the most impact with the prints in the still sand and constrasting the tranquility the choppy sea in distance along with a storm cloud looming on the horizon

10925211974_539f86121e_c.jpg

week 9

The ongoing foul weather this autumn has proved quite difficult to get out in this year being so wet and windy however I found a window in the weather this weekend and managed to squeeze a few shots in of which this was by far the best of the bunch I think capturing the very essence of autumn, the red and golden blur of leaves in the background brought clear through the maginified raindrop on bud of the branch.

10757435866_23cc8bfb9b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Nathan

The droplet shot is superb , great colors , focus & placement in the frame :clap:

Week 8.....almost working but not quite for me simply because the footprints don't lead to the solitary figure

Week 6....I love light trails & this one goes a step above due to the sky plus it looks like you caught some blues n twos in there as well (y)

ps.....you'll get more feedback if you visit other 52er's threads & leave feedback for them.....people will know you're taking part then :)

Hi Nathan

The droplet shot is superb , great colors , focus & placement in the frame :clap:

Week 8.....almost working but not quite for me simply because the footprints don't lead to the solitary figure

Week 6....I love light trails & this one goes a step above due to the sky plus it looks like you caught some blues n twos in there as well (y)

ps.....you'll get more feedback if you visit other 52er's threads & leave feedback for them.....people will know you're taking part then :)

Thanks for your critique, I was gutted about the footprints, it would have been perfect if she had noticable enough footprints instead of the rampant dog running around. Oh well live and learn, i thouroughly enjoyed my 'autumn' day out shooting, and this shot I was really happy with, the light trail as always was great fun for me, i have always loved the effects so was chuffed with the location i had in mind coming through quite well, Thank you I will start to do that.

They must be going at some speed, as there is definitely no blue lights captured in there :LOL:

ha ha be nice Jake, lol possibly a chav with slightly 'bluer' headlights maybe :thinking:

delayed again due to work commitment but i still got out with the camera

week 10

With the weather being foul and me getting caught up in the usual Manflu outbreak of south wales, I only managed to grab shots in my church during a break from our practice with the youth band. Shot with a sigma 10-20mm at 10mm I really struggled to get the light I desired but eventually all things considered and handheld i think it came out ok

this is another passion of mine but sadly I haven't had a drum kit in around 3 years so this beautiful number is my brother in laws that I use regularly in the church

11324047565_f3ce10f147_c.jpg

Week 11

Weather drawing in but the night was clear and I spotted something on the way home from work one night, a large white glow which I suspected was down to a floodlit football pitch or similar somewhere... but it did some really impressive stuff to the sky so I headed to a church I knew was floodlit in the coutryside, seriously dark and creapy but scene was pretty cool, attempted to frame the church with the fast moving cloud and the creepy wind swept trees with a long exposure managed to get the following result:

11324204723_3348990ddf_c.jpg

Week 12

Cold December evening, nothing to do so took a very slight detour home via Cardiff Bay, plenty to shoot but lots of people to ruin the shot and awful light and sky to backplane the final image. However I did my best with what I had and a tripod. not to bad, captured the essence of the christmas lights and superb architecture of the millenium centre. long exposure and f22 to capture the detail and colour with minimal camera intervention and false enhancements in light through ISO, final image below:

11324194463_fc1ab8f14c_c.jpg

Hi Nathan, I've just found your thread. I like your style! The perfect cuppa and the church are my favourites so far.

I have subscribed now so hopefully I will be able to give more meaningful critique from time to time.

Well done on making it to week 12. (y)

Hi Nathan, I've just found your thread. I like your style! The perfect cuppa and the church are my favourites so far.

I have subscribed now so hopefully I will be able to give more meaningful critique from time to time.

Well done on making it to week 12. (y)

thanks brian, thats great thats what we all here for I guess, to get better from other peoples experience and input, thanks again for looking :)

Hi, just a couple of comments,
Light trails are nice not to overexposed, bit dark on the left though would have liked a little more detail
Really like the autumn pic of the bud very nice BG
There is some nice colour in the last two, prefer the Cardiff bay pic though I am not a fan of sloping images, but the writing on the building really stands out

Hi, just a couple of comments,
Light trails are nice not to overexposed, bit dark on the left though would have liked a little more detail
Really like the autumn pic of the bud very nice BG
There is some nice colour in the last two, prefer the Cardiff bay pic though I am not a fan of sloping images, but the writing on the building really stands out

thanks for your comments, I struggle to gain detail in shadow areas without a lot of noise with my body, apparently an unfortunate trate of the eos xxxd range?

it wasn't intentional to have it 'on the wonk' it was dark and the spirit level of my cheap tripod wasn't visible. It was also bloody cold he he. I did try levelling in PP but found it was cropping off the lovely lit tree on the left and the star of the first spotlight on the LHS on image killing the composition

thanks again for taking a look always appreciate comments good and bad to help improve my shots

Back