Lens Comparison

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 600D and am wanting a lens for wildlife photography.
I am looking at the Tamron SP300 f2.8 (complete with two extenders and a variety of filters) for £500 second-hand (on a website adaptall-2.com) and a Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM at £399 second-hand (on mpb.com)
As I'm new to this forum I cannot post links to the websites.
Any advice/review would be appreciated (I need to act quickly if I want the Tamron)

Sorry i don't have any experience with those lenses. Hopefully someone can help you!

The Tamron SP series are quite old manual focus lenses which won't be very easy to use on your Canon 600D and personally I would advise against it.

The Sigma could be your best bet, but check with mpb to ensure that it is fully compatible with your camera model because some Sigma lenses do have compatibility problems with some camera models.

I'm guessing by wildlife you mean skittish birdies and mammals? If that's the case I'd also skip on manual focus lenses.

If you can run closer to £600 then these are all worth a look in addition to the 150-500:
Sigma 150-600 C
Tamron 150-600
Sigma 50-500
Canon 100-400
Canon 400mm f5.6

If you don't need the reach Canon 300mm f4 and an older Sigma 120-300 would also be in budget.

I have the Tamron and the 300mm. Both produce decent images for reasonable 2nd hand money. I haven't personally used the others.

Many thanks.
I abandoned the SP300, as I wanted a more general-purpose lens, and have ordered the Tamron 150-500 from mpb. I didn't know about the compatibility issues so I'll have to check when it arrives. What problems might I encounter, I wonder?
I assume you've bought the Sigma 150-500,this will be fine with your 600D,the compatibility issues were with much older Sigma lenses,I used mine with a 550D when I first bought it,still use it with a 70D.

Back