Lightroom 6

I've just bought the upgrade edition of LR6 downloaded and installed it and it seems to be working fine but in the title in the top left it is showing Lightroom 5-2. The help file shows LR6. Is this the same with you other uses that have installed LR6 already?

I've just bought the upgrade edition of LR6 downloaded and installed it and it seems to be working fine but in the title in the top left it is showing Lightroom 5-2. The help file shows LR6. Is this the same with you other uses that have installed LR6 already?

Is your catalogue called Lightroom 5?

LRCC will make a new catalogue out of the old one with a -2 after it so it could be that the 'title' you can see is that of the new catalogue

Just right click the title bar and under "Edit Identity Plate" you can make it read anything you want...

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it is referring to the catalogue number and syas lightoom 6 in the identity plate.

Anyone had problem with photos being under exposed?

I took around 120 photos on Friday and when looking on camera screen the photos seemed exposed correctly, when loaded to LR6 the photos were under exposed by upto 2 stops. All photos in RAW and using a D750.

Also, it only copied three folders over from LR5, so took it upon myself to have a good cull and back up to external and start fresh with LR6.

Upgrade to LR6 would be £59. Student version of LR5 £54. Extra £5 is probably worth it?
I'm disappointed Adobe don't do a "Lightroom Only" CC package. I have PS Elements 9 that I use about once a year if that and object to forking out for a plan that forces me to have a newer version I won't use [emoji35]
Id definitely agree that for an extra £5 it would be worth it, but my current version is also a student version which unfortunately you can't upgrade.

I do like the speed increase in LR CC or 6 & the new added feature for producing 32 bit HDR RAW images is magic.

Sadly, the update hasn't proved very overwhelming for me.

It crashed 5 times while editing only 25 images. Admittedly my ageing computer has always got a bit bogged down with LR, but I hoped things would improve a bit after Adobe's much touted speed improvements.

A quick play after delivering the pics to the client, seems to point to things improving markedly after switching off the preference to use the GPU.

Hey-ho, it's early days. Hopefully things will improve before I get round to buying a new computer.

Sadly, the update hasn't proved very overwhelming for me.

It crashed 5 times while editing only 25 images. Admittedly my ageing computer has always got a bit bogged down with LR, but I hoped things would improve a bit after Adobe's much touted speed improvements.

A quick play after delivering the pics to the client, seems to point to things improving markedly after switching off the preference to use the GPU.

Hey-ho, it's early days. Hopefully things will improve before I get round to buying a new computer.
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU then try the GPU acceleration again.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU then try the GPU acceleration again.
Many thanks for the recommendation.

I'm using a Mac so this option isn't open to me.
(I guess I should've mentioned it, but I avoid stating which system I use for fear of prodding the Mac v PC trolls).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and trying to help tho', it's appreciated.

Erm, i am being very lazy here and not wanting to try and find the answer in the last 7 pages, please feel free to tell me to p*** off.

does this release mean that there will never be a stand alone version available ever again and this is the last chance to buy one?
as a hobbyist user, i dont really want to the subscription model, but i wont be able to upgrade to a new version until i get a new PC (am on 32bit xp), which probably wont be until at least the end of the year, or might be when windows 10 is out.
Would it be better to buy lightroom 6, standalone copy now, ready for when i get a new pc, so i at least have some kind of working version when i get a new PC so i am not forced to do the subscription? I'm not fussed about immediate updates

Erm, i am being very lazy here and not wanting to try and find the answer in the last 7 pages, please feel free to tell me to p*** off.

does this release mean that there will never be a stand alone version available ever again

I'm not sure why you might possibly think that. Adobe have said that their future plans include stand-alone LR for the foreseeable future.

....or rather they said that during LR 5 currency.

Kelby wouldn't be drawn on the question during LR6 launch, so its anybody's guess, but I would think that now they have bitten the bullet and probably cut down on the massive piracy that existed before for their products, so it will only be a matter of time until everyone gets used to 'renting/subscribing to' their software.

Microsoft do it, Capture One quietly have slipped in a subscription model to their hitherto boxed/download only Capture One Raw processing software and there are lots of other examples. Makes sense to do download subscriptions from the business perspective, when you have something as in demand and market leading as Photoshop/Lightroom.

Saves paying PC World/Amazon a huge cut of your profits with the associated distribution costs.

It might not be the final edition, but the end is surely in sight for the traditional model of purchasing software. It is after all only a licence when you get the boxed version don't forget, anyway.

Let me guess - the Intel video cards found in lower end Apple devices aren't much good for this, are they?

That would be a no from me then. There is a chance Canon will bundle LR6 with 5D4 or whatever as Christmas promotion or something like that. LR5 came with mine.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

I'm using a Mac so this option isn't open to me.
(I guess I should've mentioned it, but I avoid stating which system I use for fear of prodding the Mac v PC trolls).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and trying to help tho', it's appreciated.
Ah, snookered then! And you're welcome :)

Well my 6 year old iMac has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB graphics card, the current 21.5 inch 2.9GHz has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory. Is that a major advance?

I'm not sure why you might possibly think that. Adobe have said that their future plans include stand-alone LR for the foreseeable future.

i think that because almost every major program is now in the subscription for them, why is this one different for their plans? it irks me thinking id have to pay monthly for something i dont use sometimes for a few months - same reason i dont join gyms! :p

You can buy Lightroom 6 as a standalone module, either as a full system or as an upgrade. Not easy to find but possible.

Go to the main Adobe site ( not Lightroom ). At the very bottom of the page in the the dark grey area , next to Change region, you'll find PRODUCTS. Click on this and you'll be taken to a product range page. Near the bottom you'll find Photoshop Lightroom, with a BUY option. Click on this and you'll be offered the option to buy outright a FULL version of LR6.Click on this and select UPGRADE from the drop down. You will need also to select the version of LR you currently own from the "I OWN" tab. You are then presented with the price of £59.09. It's a download only, so no CD. Also stand alone copies don't get upgrades, however as it is normally only new camera file formats it's not a problem if you are not looking to update your camera within the next product cycle. Also there is the DNG converter you could use if you do.

I must say that this is the first version of Lightroom that I've not found that one killer addition that I want. so I doubt if I'll be upgrading . Yes what they have added is very good but I really don't need those features. Maybe LR7 in 18 months time ?

Tried the HD and Panorama features last evening after upgrading to LR6 and was slightly surprised and certainly pleased with the results. Also being able to brush in modifications to the graduated filter is going to prove useful too. My graphics card is too old to allow the use of GPU but perhaps this not as important at this stage of LR development as we might have hoped. Haven't tried face recognition yet, but I am not sure how well it works and how much I would use it anyway.

Anthony

Rendering is very slow. I imported my first lot of photos yesterday, since upgrading, I had been using the Fuji 55-200 lens for the 1st time and was staring to panic when I clicked on them to enlarge as they were horribly out of focus. The I realised that I had to wait as much as 4 or 5 seconds! It also crashed on me a couple of times.

Now I'm using a 6 year old iMac but can LRCC be THAT resource hungry compared to LR5? Fortunately I still have LR5.

LR5 is like that for me in an i7 with 16Gb RAM. Mind you, it used to be quite a bit slower (say 10 sec) on my old Macbook for 20MP RAW files.

Ok, the speed issues I was having originally seem to have magically disappeared. Or it could be that I updated my drivers - no idea how a driver for the newest grand theft auto has any impact, but it seems to have done the trick. Performance issues swept aside, Lightroom cc is well worth the upgrade - the "raw" panorama feature is very sweet.

Just had an update for LRCC. Seemed to suggest is was just to do with loading the programme, and accessing online help. So probably not much use if you've already got it up and running.

On another note, I finally did some proper processing with it yesterday. It's in another league compared to LR5 - using gradients and other local adjustments is something I'll actually do now. No need to wait 10 seconds to adjust the angle of a gradient as I did in LR5. (y)

People view driving me crazy. It is so slow :eek:

Once I confirm faces, it takes forever to let me use the programme again :mad:

Just upgraded from LR3 to LR6 (standalone for £59.09) and although it says there are no updates with the standalone version I have already had an update and the Help>About menu now says "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.01"

Lightroom 6.01

This collection of revised plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop 6.0.1 resolves problems for all Windows systems, and offers enhanced performance on Intelᆴ Pentiumᆴ 4 processor-based systems.

This update includes four separate files:

- MMXCore.8bx contains new performance enhancements for Pentium 4 systems and all existing enhancements for other Pentium-class systems that use MMX technology.

- LightingEffects.8bf includes all of the functionality of the existing Lighting Effects plug-in, as well as additional enhancements for Pentium 4 systems.

- Shear.8bf resolves an out-of-memory condition.

- Plugin.dll resolves problems with plug-ins that do not use multiple processors.

These plug-ins replace the existing plug-ins of the same names installed with Photoshop 6.0.1.

Whoops - this one.

Today we released an update to Lightroom, Lightroom CC 2015.0.1 (Also, Lightroom 6.0.1) is now available.
This bug fix addresses issues related to launching Lightroom and accessing online help.

To Update:
Choose "Help > Updates" within Lightroom, or click Update from the Creative Cloud desktop application.
(If you're an early downloader, you may need to restart the CC Desktop application for update to show)

Having real issue with LR CC and the People module :(

When I confirm a person, or move a person into a named stack, LR is un-useable for about 30 seconds. Doesn't seem to matter, if it's 1 person or 100, the same delay applies. If I click on something, whilst this is happening, the program reports the not responding message then eventually comes back to life. I've also noticed, when I launch the program, it takes about 30 seconds to load the catalog.

I've tried uninstalling, logging out of cc widget, logging back in and reinstalling but it makes no difference.

Anyone else having this issue?

Quick question on naming people. I have a set of a dozen pictures with the same 3 people. Lightroom is not picking up the faces as they are not square onto the camera. Is there a quick way of adding the names to the set of 12 pictures?

Quick question on naming people. I have a set of a dozen pictures with the same 3 people. Lightroom is not picking up the faces as they are not square onto the camera. Is there a quick way of adding the names to the set of 12 pictures?

Just click on the name and enter the correct name. If multiple images, of the same person, just multi-select, then alter name of one to affect the rest.

Few things i'm seeing. Rendering seems to be way slower than LR5. Switching between "before" and "after" is painful, often the screen goes black and takes a while to reload.

Mid 2011 27" imac - i5 12gb ram etc..

Just upgraded from LR3 to LR6 (standalone for £59.09) and although it says there are no updates with the standalone version I have already had an update and the Help>About menu now says "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.01"
I'm pretty sure that was discussed on one of earlier pages - they're saying that there won't be any feature updates, its not referring to patches.
So if, for instance, they added the use of layers then anyone with Lightroom CC would be able to install the update to get the new feature, whereas anyone using the standalone LR6 would need to wait until LR7 is released and then upgrade to it.

trying to download LR6 again without paying again is turning into a bit of a ballache

Back