Lightroom 7 - "will appear later this year".

I am a relative newcomer to both DSLR Photography and Lightroom (2years) and I’m not quite sure why the mood seems to be on the negative side.

Unless I am reading wrong there are the choices of using it as it now is for the same money albeit under the “classic” name, upgrading to the new “cc” version for more money but with extra features and more storage or stripping out photoshop and getting Lightroom only.

Surely having these choices can only be a good move and let’s be honest Adobe are the market leaders of very good products so they are in the driving seat.

Personally I am happy to pay a small premium for a quality product despite being on a very modest wage.

No, it's not possible to have LR only on subscription; it never has been. LR plus PS at £10 a month could be considered a good deal, but as I never use PS (and cannot envisage ever doing so) LR only at £10 p.m. is not a good deal!

Wonder how long they will carry on selling the standalone product?

"indefinitely" - adobe-speak for "not very long."

I thought I had seen something about LR and 1TB of storage at $9.99 somewhere.

Last edited:
Just reading elsewhere that uploading images to their cloud is unavoidable. Not sure if that is true or not but that would be a strange move. Images could be of any subject matter/sensitive/security/private etc. I was on the 9 quid a month photographers LR/PS package, not worked out how I am affected yet.

AFAICT that's with 'new' Lightroom CC - it's a cloud-based product, effectively, with just some local caching.

LR Classic carries on working as it does now - it's a disk based product and you have to put images into a Collection first to push copies into the Cloud.

Updated and all seems fine. I'll just be staying with desktop version.

Don't know why, they've called it Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC :confused: They should have just kept Lightroom, for desktop version and introduced another name, for the cloud version.

No, it's not possible to have LR only on subscription; it never has been. LR plus PS at £10 a month could be considered a good deal, but as I never use PS (and cannot envisage ever doing so) LR only at £10 p.m. is not a good deal!

What would you have done in the film days and they put the price of a roll of film up? Give up photography? LR and PS cost less than a few rolls of film, then you’d have developing costs etc. Nowadays you can take as many photos as you like for free but you moan about £10/month for an excellent set of tools for developing your unlimited photos. I just don’t get people that want to do photography but won’t pay for the tools to do it. Maybe consider stamp collecting.

Yes I would agree BUT is this their answer to stop the thousands if not millions of pirated copies of photoshop etc being used ??
CC was pirated the day after its release: https://fstoppers.com/news/adobe-photoshop-cc-has-already-been-pirated-just-one-day-4789

There's no reason why subscription software should be any more secure than perpetually licensed software. It's about making more money from people who would have been content to skip versions, and others who found the upfront cost too high (even if they now end up paying more over several years). The only people who might save are those who used to buy every version as soon as it came out.

hum clear as mud - the update has appeared in my downloads, BUT can you update to lightroom classic cc (as its called) and also download lightroom CC .. i assume you can use both?!

What would you have done in the film days and they put the price of a roll of film up? Give up photography? LR and PS cost less than a few rolls of film, then you’d have developing costs etc. Nowadays you can take as many photos as you like for free but you moan about £10/month for an excellent set of tools for developing your unlimited photos. I just don’t get people that want to do photography but won’t pay for the tools to do it. Maybe consider stamp collecting.
Perhaps Canon should introduce a rental model? They could write firmware that expires unless you keep the payments coming. Nikon would probably eat them for breakfast if they tried something like this, of course, whereas Adobe's near monopoly in professional image editing allows them to do more or less what they like. Hopefully Affinity will further develop their suite and give them a run for their money...

You've answered the question yourself. Lightroom rental @ £10 pm for two years (say) = £240.

Outright purchase for same period (assuming update were available) - ?£65

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/introducing-lightroom-cc-lightroom-classic-cc-and-more.html

'Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.'
Think I'll just update v5 to v6. It supports the X-T2 and I've not missed a lot if the other stuff. I can control my own backup. Won't have Adobe possibly selling them under some obscure licence.

The words they used were "an undetermined amount of time"

You've answered the question yourself. Lightroom rental @ £10 pm for two years (say) = £240.

But for me, as someone who maintained a licence for Photoshop since v2.5 in 1993, I’d have had to add about another £230 to that for a hypothetical PS CS7, so I’m quids in with CC.

Moreover, I don’t have to find £300 in one go when PS and LR are updated at the same time and I have just bought a new camera needing the new versions and which leaves me short of cash, as happened a few years back.

I clung on to my standalone licences for home use until the Photographers Bundle arrived and then it became a no brainer.

I must also say that, with my work hat on, CC licensing is so much easier to manage than 15 or 20 individual licenses or even the old VLA system.

Last edited:

I haven’t answered anything myself. I see it as a cost of £10/month for a hobby I enjoy. It’s peanuts compared to some hobbies but as I said, stamp collecting is cheap.

hum clear as mud - the update has appeared in my downloads, BUT can you update to lightroom classic cc (as its called) and also download lightroom CC .. i assume you can use both?!
Lightroom Classic CC is the same Lightroom (apparently rewritten) that you’ve always used.
Lightroom CC is akin to Lightroom in your tablet but on a laptop/desktop.

Just wondering how to work the new workflow.

Currently I use both the desktop and mobile versions and although LRM is good, I miss the things like masking for sharpening and NR etc. Because of this, although having the full res file available is good the “New” CC isn’t for me, however will “Classic” still integrate with LRM?. This has been the only thing keeping me with Adobe, if this isn’t the case I could be off to C1

Currently I use both the desktop and mobile versions and although LRM is good, I miss the things like masking for sharpening and NR etc. Because of this, although having the full res file available is good the “New” CC isn’t for me, however will “Classic” still integrate with LRM?. This has been the only thing keeping me with Adobe, if this isn’t the case I could be off to C1

Does C1 have a mobile solution?

I've just upgraded LR and it does seem considerably snappier. For once it seems Adobe's programmers have delivered.

I’ve not done anything in depth. But I upgraded to Lightroom Classic CC, imported as I would before (including adding to a collection / album which was set to sync). The photos appeared in Lightroom Mobile as before. I can also access them in “New” Lightroom CC.

As I understand it in terms of importing the difference is that Lightroom Classic CC uploads a compressed DNG smart preview to the cloud, while Lightroom CC will upload the original RAW file.

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/introducing-lightroom-cc-lightroom-classic-cc-and-more.html

'Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.'

Hmm! So as I read it LR Classic CC is a functional subset of LR CC and in effect the CC version subscription model replacement for the perpetual license. I am happy to stick with LR6 but the CC model has been getting the new toys that was hoping for in LR7

Will have to keep an eye on developments as to whether I will need or can justify going CC Classic???

Last edited:
Perhaps Canon should introduce a rental model? They could write firmware that expires unless you keep the payments coming. Nikon would probably eat them for breakfast if they tried something like this, of course, whereas Adobe's near monopoly in professional image editing allows them to do more or less what they like. Hopefully Affinity will further develop their suite and give them a run for their money...
some cinema cameras do have similar licensing models to this for high speed, raw etc options. You can even buy short-term licenses for one off projects. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility....

CC photography bundle is great value though imo

Hmm! So as I read it LR Classic CC is a functional subset of LR CC and in effect the CC version subscription model replacement for the perpetual license. I am happy to stick with LR6 but the CC model has been getting the new toys that was hoping for in LR7

Will have to keep an eye on developments as to whether I will need or can justify going CC Classic???
LR Classic CC is the *full* product (and fully functional replacement for LR 6/2015CC).
LR CC is a “cut down” version, as I’ve found it so far it’s like a desktop/laptop version of LR Mobile.

I am a relative newcomer to both DSLR Photography and Lightroom (2years) and I’m not quite sure why the mood seems to be on the negative side.

Unless I am reading wrong there are the choices of using it as it now is for the same money albeit under the “classic” name, upgrading to the new “cc” version for more money but with extra features and more storage or stripping out photoshop and getting Lightroom only.

Surely having these choices can only be a good move and let’s be honest Adobe are the market leaders of very good products so they are in the driving seat.

Personally I am happy to pay a small premium for a quality product despite being on a very modest wage.

On the subscription basis, my copy of LR would have cost me £600 instead of the £110 I paid.

That's personally my issue with it.

CC photography bundle is great value though imo

I would agree - if you use PS then it is.

If you don't use PS then it's marginal.

Personally I'm a bit jaded with Lightroom CC. And it's not the subscription but the rather that I don't trust it to startup reliably. I've had the CC app refuse to start a couple of times and it's required a reinstall and re-login. Fortunately it's happened when I've had an internet connection. Judging by the number of hits I've had looking for a solution I'm mnot the only customer to experience this problem.

I was thinking about switching to the standalone version - looks like that option is disappearing.

I'm not a current CC subscriber but trying to work what the changes mean and at what cost. Am I right in thinking there are three main options at £9.99 (both LR CC and photography plan with 20GB cloud storage) and photography plan with extra 1TB cloud storage at £19.99. What if you want/need more than 1TB cloud storage if you went LR CC? What are the benefits of only LR CC over the photography plan classic LR and photoshop?

I've contemplated moving to CC in the past but never really thought I would make use of the photoshop element. Now it looks to be moving more towards cloud based my poor internet speed makes that nearly impossible.

I'm not a current CC subscriber but trying to work what the changes mean and at what cost. Am I right in thinking there are three main options at £9.99 (both LR CC and photography plan with 20GB cloud storage) and photography plan with extra 1TB cloud storage at £19.99. What if you want/need more than 1TB cloud storage if you went LR CC? What are the benefits of only LR CC over the photography plan classic LR and photoshop?

I've contemplated moving to CC in the past but never really thought I would make use of the photoshop element. Now it looks to be moving more towards cloud based my poor internet speed makes that nearly impossible.
The Lightroom CC only plan at £9.99 includes 1TB cloud storage (vs 20GB for the Photography plan)
Additional cloud storage is available but at around £10 per month per TB.

LR Classic CC is the *full* product (and fully functional replacement for LR 6/2015CC).
LR CC is a “cut down” version, as I’ve found it so far it’s like a desktop/laptop version of LR Mobile.

Ah!, so I have misread it and the CC is the subset of Classic???

I have read of CC in the past as far as I could tell if you cancel the subscription it defaults to much more limited program with no develop module, was that correct? If so what will happen with Classic CC if at any stage you cancel the subscription?

Such a bad news to me. I hate everything cloud related, I do not use a tablet or a smartphone. I have only one computer and a few backup hard drive. I hate paying monthly and I hate direct debit. Adobe are a bunch of idiots, I've been using LR since version 3. And I happily paid for a standalone version 6 which i am happy with but in a few years time when i'll have a new laptop, a new camera... I will have to find something else. This subscription only business is a lot of rubbish. I would have happily paid for a version 8 in a few years time...

Ah!, so I have misread it and the CC is the subset of Classic???

I have read of CC in the past as far as I could tell if you cancel the subscription it defaults to much more limited program with no develop module, was that correct? If so what will happen with Classic CC if at any stage you cancel the subscription?
The same. You can use the catalogue, but not the Develop or Maps modules (and no Cloud / Mobile applications). Anything stored in the cloud is accessible for a period (can’t remember how long) to allow you to download then to local storage.

Though be aware alothough you pay monthly, you commit to 12 months with automatic renewal.

I would agree - if you use PS then it is.

If you don't use PS then it's marginal.

Personally I'm a bit jaded with Lightroom CC. And it's not the subscription but the rather that I don't trust it to startup reliably. I've had the CC app refuse to start a couple of times and it's required a reinstall and re-login. Fortunately it's happened when I've had an internet connection. Judging by the number of hits I've had looking for a solution I'm mnot the only customer to experience this problem.

I was thinking about switching to the standalone version - looks like that option is disappearing.

This has been my thinking for a while, I don't think I would make anywhere near enough use of photoshop to make CC cost effective for me. Like others I started with LR4 and have since upgraded to LR6. The problem for adobe is I'm the kind of person that doesn't make them enough profit having paid them around £160-170 in those 5 years. If had been subscription that would be £600 for 5 years. This changes seems to be around making more profit, they are a business after all, and not so much based around the user. I feel they have have done their sums and worked they potentially only need to turn only a small percentage of existing users to CC to break even, even if they lost half of users prior to CC introduction they would still make more profit than from the standalone only era. Since moving to Lightroom I've liked the workflow, much better than I used to have. I like only keeping the raws and Lightroom catalogue, and only exporting when I have a need to.

Sounds like to me if you use both photoshop and Lightroom the subscription is a great deal. If you use only Lightroom like me it's a lot harder to justify. The one thing I don't like about scription based deal is that they are partly tying you in because you lose that ability to edit images once you end the subscription. The other aspect is over time you are going to build up more and more data storage, something they can double your scription with once you hit a certain storage level. What's to say in the future adobe see their profits plateau and they decide to end Lightroom classic and then LR CC is the only option with your subscription cost depending on the size of your image library, and adding photoshop is £x more as an addition.

If so what will happen with Classic CC if at any stage you cancel the subscription?
My question would be if you went LR CC, what would happen to your cloud storage with all of your images stored there if you ended your subscription? I can't see adobe letting you keep cloud storage indefinitely for free.

Back