Lightroom 7 - "will appear later this year".

It's funny (and this isn't aimed at you) but some people will happily spend hundreds and thousands on cameras and lenses that will make very little difference to their final output but baulk at paying a relatively small amount on a tool that genuinely could improve their output quite significantly.
Yes that's exactly what I think cc costs less than the price of a pub dinner per month

Reactions: nog
if they carry on with the dumb pay-by-month thing they can shove it. I'll keep using 5.7, milking my money's worth out of that till it can't handle files no more :ROFLMAO:

No surprise that Adobe operates as a business, rather than a charity. I happily pay my subscription for the LR and PS CC software. It works out less than I was forking out for standalone previously, and in the scheme of things is a small cost for my hobby. It's a bit of a myth that a conventional software purchase is "forever" anyway. Software is a "throwaway", like digital camera bodies. Makes more sense to lease it.

It's funny (and this isn't aimed at you) but some people will happily spend hundreds and thousands on cameras and lenses that will make very little difference to their final output but baulk at paying a relatively small amount on a tool that genuinely could improve their output quite significantly.
Personally I don't have a problem paying the full price for standalone LR software or any other good software, it's the tying myself into a subscription for more software than I currently need. I'm happy using Lightroom, it meets all of my current needs and whilst photoshop may be better I don't feel Lightroom is limiting for my use. CC currently feels like I would be paying for a lot of stuff I don't really need. Another part of me feels subscription software is a little like buying the newest camera on every release because it has new features that give a slight advantage. One of the reasons I upgraded to LR6 was because my new camera wasn't supported, the added functionality from LR4 to LR6 was good too but the main push was camera compatibility. If adobe do go down the subscription only route then I may in the future go with it but at present I don't feel a need a subscription to get what I already have and use. I'm absolutely fine that I don't get any new upgrades like CC subscribers do. I bought the software as it was at the time of purchase and don't expect any upgrades to functionality. I do wonder if the likes of Nikon and Canon are looking into subscription based camera leasing as a way forward if adobes profits soar. Imagine if in the future you rent the camera body and its upgraded on new releases (probably more difficult because cameras wear but new car leasing seems to work for some), would there be the same discussion then?

It's good that adobe currently give users the option, to me neither option is right or wrong, its best to go with whichever suits your needs and situation best.

No surprise that Adobe operates as a business, rather than a charity. I happily pay my subscription for the LR and PS CC software. It works out less than I was forking out for standalone previously, and in the scheme of things is a small cost for my hobby. It's a bit of a myth that a conventional software purchase is "forever" anyway. Software is a "throwaway", like digital camera bodies. Makes more sense to lease it.

Good for you .... doesn't mean we all have to fall for it. I paid good money for 5.7, the CC version does nothing extra for me, why the hell would I want to give them money every month for nothing extra?

Good for you .... doesn't mean we all have to fall for it. I paid good money for 5.7, the CC version does nothing extra for me, why the hell would I want to give them money every month for nothing extra?
Good for you too. You wouldn't want to give them your money for no reason. (I had V2.2. It was time for an upgrade. I also wanted to update PS from CS4.)

The subscription based model, has been very lucrative for Adobe, so I can see them do away with the perpetual licence model. Not everyone will be happy, about that, but Adobe will be laughing all the way to the bank. :eek:

So what is the fundamental objection to paying monthly subscription model vs a one off download. Is it that most that download would do so once every three or so years so the one of download at about 100 is more cost effective than the 300 for 36 monthly payments.

But if you download a one off are you still expecting new camera support modules for free when camera manufacturers bring out new products?

So what is the fundamental objection to paying monthly subscription model vs a one off download. Is it that most that download would do so once every three or so years so the one of download at about 100 is more cost effective than the 300 for 36 monthly payments.

But if you download a one off are you still expecting new camera support modules for free when camera manufacturers bring out new products?

New camera support has always been part of the Adobe model free of charge.....afteral they would not want users of LR6 to leave the ship if new models were not supported ;) FWIW it is feature updates that in the perpetual license that do not get updated until the next full release, bug fixes not withstanding. The CC model is on a rolling update by comparison! NB however one part such as the De-Haze engine are present in the PL version and can be legitimately accessed but without enhanced controls.

I'll only buy this if it's stand alone, and works with the Nik suite.

I'm still running 4.6 (I think) so that shows how long you can run the stand alone version for. And how much money you save!

New camera support has always been part of the Adobe model free of charge.....afteral they would not want users of LR6 to leave the ship if new models were not supported
Are you sure?
I thought it was well known that new models frequently required an upgrade to the latest Adobe product. On subscription that's not too bad, but on standalone it means buying the next version/upgrade.
I have to use DNG convertor because my new camera files are not updated on LR5. Bit of PIA but works well.

Are you sure?
I thought it was well known that new models frequently required an upgrade to the latest Adobe product. On subscription that's not too bad, but on standalone it means buying the next version/upgrade.
I have to use DNG convertor because my new camera files are not updated on LR5. Bit of PIA but works well.
As far as I'm aware the camera support for a new camera is applied only to the current version when that camera was released but not to earlier versions. Example would be the D850 will be made compatible with the current version (LR6) but not earlier versions (LR5 or LR4 etc). That's how older cameras work with older lightroom versions.if LR7 is released new camera releases from that point on will be compatible with LR7 but not LR6. You can't expect retrospective compatibility upgrades to apply to previous 'archived' versions.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

Well here https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html when state "New Camera Support in Lightroom CC 2015.12/6.12" it is for both CC and PL versions. Yes, Adobe may be slow but AFAIK they do add in new models but I think in one regard you are correct the newest support is not backwards compatible to before LR6, afterall LR5 and before are much older versions ;)

PS also note on the linked page they add new lens profiles as well.

Are you sure?

You can update the standalone. However, after a few years they stop producing updates for older versions.

For me the objection is simple. I never use Photoshop, and cannot see a reason for ever using it. But the subscription model combines LR and PS; therefore i would be paying for something I will never use. If LR only was made available at a "pro rata" rate, say for £3 per month, I would be happy to subscribe.

Let's say LR is updated every two years/24 months. At £10 p.m. that would cost me £240. For a number of years now an upgrade to the latest version has been about £60 (IIRC)

You understand the economics of it now?

I think Adobe really would be shooting themselves in the foot if they stopped the outright purchase version; nothing would surprise me, though......:(

This looks like it(from the Adobe website) -

Wednesday, October 18, 9–11am PDT
Accelerating Your Creativity
Adobe is passionate about empowering the creative community to push boundaries through technology. We are constantly looking around the corner — to stay on top of the latest innovations and to build them into our tools — all of which helps kick-start the creative process so you can spend your time doing great work. In this keynote, we’ll unveil major innovation across the world’s best creative system including a new generation of Creative Cloud apps, services and assets.

I've been using LR4 since release, that's 5 years now, and it's still supported new cameras I've purchased through updates. It would have cost me a LOT more if I'd been doing it through subscription.

This looks like it(from the Adobe website) -

Wednesday, October 18, 9–11am PDT
Accelerating Your Creativity
Adobe is passionate about empowering the creative community to push boundaries through technology. We are constantly looking around the corner — to stay on top of the latest innovations and to build them into our tools — all of which helps kick-start the creative process so you can spend your time doing great work. In this keynote, we’ll unveil major innovation across the world’s best creative system including a new generation of Creative Cloud apps, services and assets.

Oh well, watch that/this space and let us see just what they are going to do???

I've been using LR4 since release, that's 5 years now, and it's still supported new cameras I've purchased through updates.

I am still somewhat unconvinced you have circumvented Adobe's requirements for new cameras released since LR v5 shipped.

Lightroom 4.4 was the last version of 4.x released in April 2013.

If your TP profile is up to date you have, here is a list of the cameras you own, with the minimum version of Lightroom needed to support the camera in brackets

Canon 6D [4.3]
Canon 50D [2.1]
Fuji X100 [3.4.1]
Sony RX100 [4.2]

Data from https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

There are ways to skirt round the limitation by converting your Canon RAW files to DNG using Adobe DNG Converter before importing into the DNGs into Lightroom.

However, if you are using, say, a 6D Mk2 and its native RAW files with Lightroom 4.x, I will be surprised; that requires Lightroom 6.12.

Yes it's 4.4 I have not .6 (the last 4 update), and it works with all the above, one of the reasons I've never updated it (and the fact it does everything I want from it).

Oddly though it seems to have stopped reading my 50d raws [emoji848]

Well it was coming.
That reads as though there won't be a separate LR, just the latest version bundled up with CC.

If you really don't want a subscription and want to stick two fingers up to Adobe... A perpetual license for Capture One Pro is a good investment.

All sitting there, in my CC program, waiting to be updated. Press update now or wait for a while? :eek:

All sitting there, in my CC program, waiting to be updated. Press update now or wait for a while? :eek:
Update... but make sure you uncheck the 'Remove Old Versions' in the Advance Options of the updater... so you still have the old version to fall back on if the new one breaks something.

Lightroom, as we know it, becomes Lightroom Classic CC?

WHAT? Why not just name the new toytown version differently?

any quicker ? see the new lightroom CC is only giving 1TB cloud storage for £20 a month ?! if you want 10tb its over £100 - they are having a laugh?!

£10 a month though I'm inclined to think it will be £15 month in a years time due to currency fluctuations.

Back