weekly Liz's 52's for 2018 - Week 52 and Finished

Nice use of the purple against the green. Possibly a bit on the soft side, is it a crop?
I quite like the lighting you've caught too.

Hi Tim

Thanks you for that. No it wasn't a crop actually. I took several others with a group of these flowers included, but thought this one came out on top. This is the first time we have had them in the garden and they took us by surprise as all summer there had been just a load of big leaves and we weren't sure what they were and then suddenly one day these appeared.

Liz

Autumn, I too like the purple against the green background leaves and the focus does appear to be out a bit on that front flower, those behind are better.

Pete

Week 41 - Hollow (rock face)

I'm afraid this is not a new one, but I have given up on thinking of anything else! Perhaps slightly on the dark side, but that's what it's like where it is. Had to change the image size to 500 before I was allowed to upload. Don't know if anyone knows about this sort of thing, ie Why?

RIMG0023Edited_edited-4.jpg

Liz

Hollow, quite a flat looking image, but fits the theme.

Model, a pair of colourful characters, background could do with more thought. Camera angle could have sorted that so only the table covering is in the picture.

Pete

Hi Liz,

• Hollow - As you say, quite a dark image. Any chance of the light changing at different times of the day, to allow the shadows to be lifted?. Re the 500pixels resize. The forum has a 2mb upload limit I think, could the image have been larger than that due to the different colours and hues? Seems a bit strange, but worth checking?
  • Model - I'm finding the background a bit distracting. As Pete says, maybe a different angle? Or maybe a paper / card backdrop?

I don't know about the resizing issue. I've had the same problem before once or twice. I always follow missycat's original instruction about this and it usually works. I'm sure the light does change at different times, but it is a dark corner of the wood.
I know that model's background would have been better not there, but couldn't seem to get rid of it. I tried it with a white backdrop as well, but the model seemed to be drained of colour by it whereas the orange tablecloth seemed to highlight it.
Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, I guess.

Hi Liz,

Corner - Not sure that I would have set the focus quite so close, I *think* convention is you set the focal point to 1/3rd of the way into the image for landscape shots (which this is really), unless you're focusing specifically on something.
But what do I know, as I don't do landscapes particularly.

Mark - I do like a bit or architecture / industry and this nicely ticks those boxes :)

Filthy - Yup, it certainly is - you wouldn't want to sit in that! This is nicely sharp in the right places :)

Lost - Lol, yes, lost behind the hedge. Nice contrast of the green and reds, and nice to get a bit of sky too.

Hi Liz,

Corner - Not sure that I would have set the focus quite so close, I *think* convention is you set the focal point to 1/3rd of the way into the image for landscape shots (which this is really), unless you're focusing specifically on something.
But what do I know, as I don't do landscapes particularly.

Mark - I do like a bit or architecture / industry and this nicely ticks those boxes :)

Filthy - Yup, it certainly is - you wouldn't want to sit in that! This is nicely sharp in the right places :)

Lost - Lol, yes, lost behind the hedge. Nice contrast of the green and reds, and nice to get a bit of sky too.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the comments. No idea about focal points such as you describe, but you may well be right when I think about it. To be honest, this was taken ages ago when I was waiting for the cyclists of the Tour de Yorkshire coming round the hairpin bend. I wondered about using it for Mark, but in the end thought the bridge sign was better for that. Filthy was more recent, but I should have waited. You should see the lane where I live now. More like a quagmire!! Lost was my great grandfather's cottage which I found when we went looking up family history in Scotland. It wasn't actually a hedge, it was plants growing all over it.

I'm struggling with the last few this year as we're going away and I haven't had time to take photos. However, I'm still hoping - though I may have to ask Missycat to put on any I find whilst away!

Thank you Gareth.

You're welcome Liz, I hit the like first, but I wanted to look more closely before writing a comment! :)

Monstrous: great composition, I like the use of the track as a leading line into the huge statue thing....a monstrous statue indeed!

Balanced: another cool composition, works well in portrait - accentuates the precarious predicament!!
People who go on those rides are braver than me!....scary!!

(y)

Week 49 - (Looking) Crushed

Clutching at straws a bit at the moment - going away and needing to get something finished, so this is an old photo of my husband when we arrived back from holiday after the flood in 2007 - and this is only the back yard, imagine what it was like inside!

DSCF0973edited_edited-1.jpg

Liz

Corner, I would like to see a bit more of the outer edge, or shot from higher up or even round the bend as I feel that would show the corner up better, but it is a corner no doubt about it. Also the colours are a bit flat looking. try adding contrast.

Mark, Nice find, looks nice and solid in the picture. you might want to try different crops to improve the Image. I can see there is more Metal work disappearing at the top, how about a square crop, does cropping out the right hand side help?

Filthy, I hate mud, again to me it could do with a bit more contrast, make the leaves pop.

Lost, my wife would love that place, she is a quirky gardener, I leave her to it.

Monstrous, where did you find that, so I don't have to go there.

Balanced, another image on theme.

Crushed, Fits the theme, your husband looked crushed at the amount of devastation.

Pete

Crushed: I didn't think it was appropriate to 'like' the image....it must have been heartbreaking for you.
It certainly fits the theme....your hubby looks devastated....hope everything got sorted out in the end.

Yes it did eventually but we had to move out and it took mainly rubbish tradesmen 18 months to set two rooms to rights again.

Liz

Corner, I would like to see a bit more of the outer edge, or shot from higher up or even round the bend as I feel that would show the corner up better, but it is a corner no doubt about it. Also the colours are a bit flat looking. try adding contrast.

Mark, Nice find, looks nice and solid in the picture. you might want to try different crops to improve the Image. I can see there is more Metal work disappearing at the top, how about a square crop, does cropping out the right hand side help?

Filthy, I hate mud, again to me it could do with a bit more contrast, make the leaves pop.

Lost, my wife would love that place, she is a quirky gardener, I leave her to it.

Monstrous, where did you find that, so I don't have to go there.

Balanced, another image on theme.

Crushed, Fits the theme, your husband looked crushed at the amount of devastation.

Pete

Thanks for your comments Pete. I know what you mean a our corner and filthy and agree. Mark was a bit more difficult as if I used a wider shot you wouldn't have been able to see the maker's sign. Perhaps I'll put a wider shot on just to see what you think if I get time. monstrous and balanced were at Alton Towers just so you know. Crushed - well we both were, but even more by the lack of common sense and skills of those being paid to put it right.

Hi Liz,

Monstrous - As in large or as in the character that the ride enters? Sorry, I'm not really sure on the story here.
On a technical perspective, there is something impinging on the rhs of the image, which should probably be cropped out.
Balanced - It certainly is on a knife edge there, possibly would also have worked for Monstrous as it's a terrifying drop !
Where were these 1 taken I wonder.

Crushed - Eek, yes, sadly spot on for the theme. I hope it didn't take too much clearing.

Across the three images, you usually post larger shots so detail can be seen, these are a little small. Possibly they need to be, but I think larger would be better if at all possible.

Hi Liz,

Monstrous - As in large or as in the character that the ride enters? Sorry, I'm not really sure on the story here.
On a technical perspective, there is something impinging on the rhs of the image, which should probably be cropped out.
Balanced - It certainly is on a knife edge there, possibly would also have worked for Monstrous as it's a terrifying drop !
Where were these 1 taken I wonder.

Crushed - Eek, yes, sadly spot on for the theme. I hope it didn't take too much clearing.

Across the three images, you usually post larger shots so detail can be seen, these are a little small. Possibly they need to be, but I think larger would be better if at all possible.

Hi Tim, thanks for your comments. I think monstrous could have both interpretations; whichever it is a bit of a monstrosity! I think the bit on the rhs is another part of the ride. They are at Alton Towers in Staffordshire, a massively popular theme park where we even had to queue for ages just to get in, never mind for the rides. Crushed - as I said to Gareth above, we were out for 18 months.

I was interested in your comment about size. Balanced was cropped quite a bit, but the other two became small during re-sizing. I normally do 1024, as instructed by Missycat, but they weren't accepted when I tried to post them, so I had to keep reducing until they were. I've had this problem before but don't know the reason. If anyone can tell me the reason, I would be interested to know.

Week 51 - Party - Not the sort of party you're likely to be invited to, but these Cormorants certainly had something going at Ria in Portugal when hundreds of them all arrived at the same time

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hi Liz,

Motion - I like the colours. The turquoise / green gradient is nice and contrast well with the orange of the boat.
The wake provides a decent leading line to the boat too :)

Party - Without seeing the exif it's hard so be certain, but I've a feeling this is a big crop into the photo, as the birds are not as sharp as they could be (and rather silhouetted).
Works for the theme though, a theme which has somehow been challenging despite the time of year.

One to go (until we start all over again ;) )

Loving those strong colours.
I'm feeling a longish exposure? Enough to smooth the water and clouds a little, but quick enough to still have definition. Works well.
An excellent finish to your 52 Liz :)
Hoping to see more in '19 (y)

Hi all, how amazing that you've all bothered to take the time to comment. I do appreciate it. Regarding 'Party', it wasn't really a crop, I just some of the water out of the foreground. I took a few but the weather wasn't at its best and when I looked at them this was the one with most birds on, swimming, flying and perching. They were moving about so fast too, but I do agree it's not the sharpest shot. The sunrise was amazing and looking at all the shots I took,the light changed so much from moment to moment one would hardly know it was the same time and place.

Motion: Perfect for the theme, lovely colours, a well composed image.

Party: Great shot....I feel fortunate if I see one cormorant! Wow, what a gathering....great interpretation for the theme.

Showcase: Incredible image! What a way to finish....quite simply superb!

Congratulations Liz for completing the 52....see you in next years 52.:)

Good stuff - and congrats on the finish :D

Back