weekly Major's 52 - 2018 - week 20 - musical

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

Here is my another attempt at 52. Hopefully this year it will go better than in 2017 :)

Since I have a bit to catch up again, I took the liberty of choosing the topic for first shot. It was a while since I took last photo and shared it, but it feels good to be back in the game :)

For convenient access to all photos, I'll make list with links which will be updated when new photos are added.

Week 0 Your area
Week 1 Gate(d)
Week 2 People
Week 3 stark
Week 4 Over
Week 5 Age/ageing
Week 6 Sharp
Week 7 guard(ed)
Week 8 Thick
Week 9 Abundance
Week 10 Heavy
Week 11 wet
Week 12 Juxtaposition + re-shoot
Week 13 Oval
Week 14 Straight
Week 15 Unattractive
Week 16 shadow
Week 17 Beautiful
Week 18 Low
Week 19 Match
Week 20 Music/musical
Week 21
Week 22
Week 23
Week 24
Week 25
Week 26
Week 27
Week 28
Week 29
Week 30
Week 31
Week 32
Week 33
Week 34
Week 35
Week 36
Week 37
Week 38
Week 39
Week 40
Week 41
Week 42
Week 43
Week 44
Week 45
Week 46
Week 47
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

Ok, let's get it started. Here is my take of "Ageing" - subject for week 5.

Ageing

by Tom Major, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :).

Best regards
Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tomasz,

Ageing - Cool portrait with the tight crop, it has a Hurleyesque look to it perhaps.
Juxtaposition - Lost on me I'm afraid. I don't know that Dan Brown book and can't make out what the other one is. I'm sure there's something there that others will get. I love the lighting you've used though :)

Thank you for popping in Tim :).

Portrait was intended to be redone every year, but it got lost and I only found the second pic today, after few hours of checking file by file all my HDDs :). But it turned out quite evenly as they were taken roughly every 4 years - birth, 4 and now nearly 8 years old :).

Juxtaposition - I must admit I didn't even know this word before, but according to google it means things close to each other creating contrast. Following this definition I went for books and laptop, however it's only one of the contrasting elements here.

Book on top is called WORSHIP OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY CONTRARY TO HOLY SCRIPTURE, by ENDELL TYLER. It was printed in 1844. So to summarise all contrasts here

1844, with leather cover and marbled edges vs "Origin" from 2017 and typical modern mass production
Books vs laptop
Book about church and it's teachings vs Brown's book - after all church was not too fond of him after release of "The Da Vinci Code". While this might not be perfectly spot on, the choice of books was to reflect just one more contradicting thing.
Laptop vs non-modern (can't say old or antique :D) table. In my opinion it just wouldn't look right if I placed all items on modern glass table :)

Thank you for remark about light on this photo. It was actually taken in blazing sun (through the window), in the corner of my living room, close to mentioned window. I measured light for the brightest spots on the top book as they were blown out and then refocused on the title on its spine. I can't blame you for not being able to read the title, at this size I struggle too :).

Cheers
Tom

Reactions: LC2
Nice pair of shots. Like the portrait one, even if the crop is very tight, though would be nice to have the top of his head, and the edges of the tablet.

Juxtaposition works on lots of levels and is quite a clever shot.

Ps. good selection of KING books in the background ;)

Week 2 - People

People

by
Tom Major, on Flickr

@ross.anderson.58 thank you for taking the time to comment :).

I need to learn to shoot portraits a bit wider... Crop was not really big, it was framed very tightly. I also need a bit wider lens as 50 on crop - as much as I like it - is not ideal for everything :).
I don't do portraits really but 50mm on a crop sensor is a decent set up. Just take a few steps back.

Oh I'm not saying it's not, it's great all round kit, just in this particular case wall got in my way ;)

PS I love King's books ;)

ageing - Clever idea, I like it!
juxtaposition - I didn't see the laptop under the books, I thought the juxtaposition was Dan Brown vs a real book :exit:Great lighting!

shadow and wet are excellent animal portraits

people (and horses) - I actually like the crop, if at all I'd shoot it a bit tighter, not wider.

Thank you for popping in and commenting @brrnd :).

Dan Brown vs real book :D :D :D :D - that had me laughing :D.

I tried to shoot the horse (and rider) a bit closer to fill the frame, but this particular horse was kind of nervous and I didn't want to keep the rider for too long. I think it was actually first time I ever asked stranger if I could take photo of them - originally set off to local airfield to capture little Cessna on very short final, to complete "Over" - but there was nothing flying when I arrived :D.

I don't mind close portraits or tightly cropped ones, but I find I shoot them far too often and my framing needs some training :).

Cheers

Last edited:
Good start Tomasz, I particularly like Juxtaposition, Wet and Ageing.

Thank you very much @Dave70D :).

Here is something more recent - Week 19 - Match.
This photo was taken on black glass table, using built in flash, bounced with the back of white iPhone :). My SB is long gone and I really needed light and am glad it worked. Yellowish glow comes from walls in my living room. To make this shot, I had to take 3 photo frames off the wall, including one A1 size, move the table a bit so I didn't get reflection of a corner and kick the rabbit off the sideboard - that huge cage didn't fit into my desired composition. I'm still not entirely happy with final result as I found out my table is scratched badly and I had some 'fun' removing the lot. Hope you like the effect.

Match

by
Tom Major, on Flickr

You are getting through these well done for that some interesting images for the themes all quite different than we have had before look forward to seeing the rest (y)

Thank you Allan :). Just trying to get a bit more current and having fun along the way :)

Last edited:
Yep - match works a treat :)

Tom, I love,love the tones in your Juxta shot, the whole thing works really well.

I like that photo, something completely different, and very well executed!

Welcome back to the Challenge great to see you back here, and a nice strong start with those images my favourites are naturally the horse shots. I look forward to following the rest of your thread and see how you progress in the rest of the challenge.

Welcome back Tom

Ageing ... nice but a bit tight in the frame, would be good to include fingers on the other side.

juxtaposition ... not sure I get it but I like it! Dark & moody.

wet ... liking the droplets.

match ... nice idea & layout.

shadow ... hmmmm

People ..... fits the frame nicely.

(y)

Hi Tom,
Quite a catch up and I've only been away a few days ;)

Shadow - The mono processing suits the shot. Nicely framed with eye contact.
Wet - Cool action shot. Very nicely done. I like the water frozen in the air and the general vibrance of the shot.
People - Not for me I'm afraid. Lots of colour, but no real action and her face is in too much shade.
Match - I really like this one. The use of shallow DoF, the contrast of the organised 2 matching pieces against the jumbled pile of pieces, the plain, but strong, background. (y)

Once again thank you all for your time and comments.

I must admit I am not happy with People shot. It was taken under full sun, horse was nervous and I didn't (couldn't) ask a stranger I spoke with for few seconds to pose while she tried to calm the animal. I am thinking of another ideas using less humane 'people' :) - Fallout bobbleheads or trails/marks associated with humans but not as direct as a portrait. I should have it ready after I get this week's theme sorted - I find it very simple, yet so difficult :)

Match - photo of the week for me, I love it, really a very good take on the theme, well composed and the eye is really drawn to the subject.

Music is a really powerful image and another great take on the theme, well done

Last edited:
Nice musical shot - I have some very similar :)

Great take on musical, something very different and very powerful!

Top idea, very nicely done. Perfect dof I think, the headphones are easily recognizable yet nicely oof. (y)

Hi Tom

Better Late than never.

Ageing, I feel this is cropped too tight around the phone, would be better to see the right hand side of it as well. The Boy is well exposed and very sharp, he has striking eyes, so much that i did'nt see his hearing aids for quite a while.

Juxapostion, nice image, I like the moody lighting, plenty of detail showing.

Shadow, nice tones in this Image.

Wet, Dog is focused just right, as is the water, background is a little bit distracting with the OOF lines, but a very good Image.

People, Everything that needs to be in focus is, lots of details in the horse and rider, can only mumble a bit about the road, if you had more image on the left it may have helped.

Match, what a good idea, not sure about the pile not being more in focus and again the tight crop is not helping, a little more space around the image may improve it.

Music, well setup image, right on theme. Crop to me appears to be correct in this image.

Pete

Match: Excellent picture, advertising standard.

Music: Very evocative, makes one appreciate ones own hearing.

Hi Tom, well done on getting involved and attempting a catch-up too. It's my first visit to your thread and of the images you've posted so far my favourite are Juxtaposition and Music(al) - two original ideas, and well planned and executed images. I'll look forward to more of your images (y)

Back