Marks 52 - Week 26 Night

I like finding tenner under cushions. :LOL:

Excellent interpretation of the theme and nicely judged - tells the story cleanly and simply.

:clap::clap::clap:

Best of luck with the house move.

Jean

great idea and really well done! Nice to see another b&w in the mix!!

Thank you both, glad you like it(y)

I like this one simply and to the point...:clap:

Ticks all the boxes for me...(y)

just makes my humble effort look even worse...:(

That would be a good suprise in the current economic climate
I like the black & white conversion - I think it really suits this shot well.

Simple, clean, clear and tells the story well :clap::clap: I really like the mono conversion. I hope the house move goes well John, and like Fabs, there's only ever cat hairs down the back of our sofa, so no commission from me either :LOL:

Simple, clean, clear and tells the story well :clap::clap: I really like the mono conversion. I hope the house move goes well John, and like Fabs, there's only ever cat hairs down the back of our sofa, so no commission from me either :LOL:

Thanks Bruja.... best not to ask about the house move.... there's always something to hold things up isn't there:(

When we moved out here, although the house sale had been agreed in April, we moved 1st November, and they knew all that time that that was the date the sale didn't complete until 3 weeks later. We were on tenterhooks for those 3 weeks so you just have to grit your teeth :D

And why the heck did I call you John?

Last edited:
When we moved out here, although the house sale had been agreed in April, we moved 1st November, and they knew all that time that that was the date the sale didn't complete until 3 weeks later. We were on tenterhooks for those 3 weeks so you just have to grit your teeth :D

And why the heck did I call you John?

Thanks Bruja... if I grit them much longer my dentist will have his work cut out for him. It's one of those things I suppose, there's one thing holding it up and I can't do anything about it as it's outside of my control.:bang:

I don't know why you called me John either, I just assumed you knew my brother and had confused us;)

Phew, made this by the skin of my teeth.

I was hoping for an Alas Smith & Jones style pose from the children, not quite sure I got it.

This was taken with my studio lights, unpacked as the house move is delayed:bang:

Things I've learnt
Don't immediately think the challenge is going to be easy, this wasn't.

Get some backgounds sorted to save an awful lot of pp.... I'm not good enough at it and don't have the time either.

Anyway enough talk, here it is.

Opposites.jpg

Thanks

Mark(y)

Good idea, good lighting and good pose :)

Looks like your lad is suppressing a big grin :D

Alas Smith and Jones was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the shot and before I read your words so I reckon you got that right Mark :D

Are they really that opposite? ;)

Sorry to hear about the delayed move :( Hope that sorts itself out good and quick (y)

Thanks for the comments John. (y)

He was surpressing a grin, he can't really help himself, but it works quite well I think.

Are they really that opposite, they have their moments!:LOL:

House moves...grrrrr:bang:

Mark

Things I've learnt
Don't immediately think the challenge is going to be easy, this wasn't.

Mmmmm, I found that too, Mark. And I'm not also coping with a delayed house move. Well done for getting this done when you're all pcked up and ready to move.

Great expressions and one the kids will love in years to come as well. :clap:

If I'm being very, very picky indeed, I'd say leave just a tad more space about you son's head - just in case they want framed prints. :)

Hope the house move gets sorted quickly.

Jean

I'm liking this one...the eye contact is spot on...:clap:

and as for opposites...girl/boy...bother/sister...older/younger...

Yes you nailed this one buddy...(y)

Mmmmm, I found that too, Mark. And I'm not also coping with a delayed house move. Well done for getting this done when you're all pcked up and ready to move.

Great expressions and one the kids will love in years to come as well. :clap:

If I'm being very, very picky indeed, I'd say leave just a tad more space about you son's head - just in case they want framed prints. :)

Hope the house move gets sorted quickly.

Jean

Thanks for the comments Jean, much appreciated. See what you mean about the space, I guess I can always add a bit if needed.

I'm liking this one...the eye contact is spot on...:clap:

and as for opposites...girl/boy...bother/sister...older/younger...

Yes you nailed this one buddy...(y)

Thank you I was pleased with the eye contact too. :)

i see what you mean about the post pp'ing mate.. more so around your daughters hair..

i like the idea would have been a belter imo had one been smiling and one been sad " maybe thats just me" :D

house move :bang: mine you that delays the decorating i'm sure you will have:LOL:

md(y)

can't argue with that, nicely done Mark (y)

Thanks Toothie(y)

Love that photo Mark. Well done for doing it in those circumstances, hope your move goes through soon.

Thanks Marc, hopefully will have some better news about the house move next week.

i see what you mean about the post pp'ing mate.. more so around your daughters hair..

i like the idea would have been a belter imo had one been smiling and one been sad " maybe thats just me" :D

house move :bang: mine you that delays the decorating i'm sure you will have:LOL:

md(y)

I like that idea, may that try next time, thanks Dave(y)

Decorating....mmm got a new puppy on the way in three weeks, think the decorating can wait until he's house trained.....and yes expect to see lots of pictures of him soon:)

I haven't read all the comments, but I like the image. My thought would have been it may have been nice to have had one of the children smiling and jolly and one miserable and moody looking. Just a thought.

Just seen the quote above, oh well great minds think alike.

Nice image. I like the pose and expressions and it's nicely lit. :clap:

Another great shot Mark and fits the theme really well. :clap::clap: and well done for getting the kids to pose too (y), boy/girl, older/younger, and obvious evidence of a difference of opinion - so yet another opposite. 3 for the price of 1. Well done and hope you get moved soon (y)

:agree: great shot Mark... I can't add anything not already said... I like it, it works.

Another great shot Mark and fits the theme really well. :clap::clap: and well done for getting the kids to pose too (y), boy/girl, older/younger, and obvious evidence of a difference of opinion - so yet another opposite. 3 for the price of 1. Well done and hope you get moved soon (y)

:agree: great shot Mark... I can't add anything not already said... I like it, it works.

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated and glad you like it(y)

Ok so this isn't the shot I was planning on taking this week, but I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by.
Today was a special day for Melton Constable. Steam returned to the village for the first time in a very long time. OK so the tracks are long gone, but the engine sheds now serve as an Industrial Estate. This engine never actually ran on the lines running out of Melton, but many like it did. The engine was on it's way to Sheringham to take part in "Thats yer Lot" a gala to commerate 50 years since the line was scrapped. According to the press over a 100 people turned out to see it, not sure it was that many, but there were a good many there, including some who used to work on the line.

This was truly a special day for Melton Constable.

More information will undoubtedly be forthcoming if one of our newer members pewtu sees this thread.

What have I learnt, composing pictures in the freezing cold isn't easy, I'm annoyed that I've cut some to the engine off. You can guarantee that when these things happen the light goes, so apologies for the poor sky.

Again enough chatter from me, here's the shot

There's another shot on my flickr if you're interested.

Thanks

Mark(y)

Last edited:
I like it Mark, the detail on the engine is really good, and the image is punchy. It looks almost like the man standing next to it, is greeting an old friend. It's a good interpretation. As you said, shame about the buffer, but I don't think it detracts much from the image.

I like it Mark, the detail on the engine is really good, and the image is punchy. It looks almost like the man standing next to it, is greeting an old friend. It's a good interpretation. As you said, shame about the buffer, but I don't think it detracts much from the image.

I agree with John, the guy in the pic really add to it showing that its special to him (y)

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated(y) The guy in the shot is from the North Norfolk Railway and as you say this was clearly a special day for him:)

Lazy reply but John has summed my thoughts up to the tee!

Its a beautiful beast though isn't it :)

Good shot and once again the brief is met :)

Well didn't exspect that...but it's a great photo...pity about the slight cropped front, but it's a cracking shot with real impact from the man next to it... and the colour tone fits in fantastic...:clap:

Lazy reply but John has summed my thoughts up to the tee!

Its a beautiful beast though isn't it :)

Good shot and once again the brief is met :)

Thanks John, I'm looking forward to seeing on the rails in next couple of weeks.

Well didn't exspect that...but it's a great photo...pity about the slight cropped front, but it's a cracking shot with real impact from the man next to it... and the colour tone fits in fantastic...:clap:

Pleased I suprised you, oh no hold on that was last week wasn't it:naughty:. Thanks for the comments, I've e-mailed to the NNR, not had a reply yet though:|

Mark(y)

Thanks Simon(y), how can I improve the colour tone?:shrug::)

Mark, I could see this on the cover of a steam train enthusiasts' magazine. It says it all - beautiful old engine in a good state of preservation and a fan admiring it.

I like the subdued lighting - it suits the subject and I for one didn't spot the slight crop at the front until someone mentioned it.

It's great to get something special 'for real' like this - perfect timing.

:clap::clap:

Jean

Wow, thanks Jean, maybe I'll submit it to some, see what happens.

ok so I have a shot, well a snap shot really, for week 7,still in camera as the computer isn't set up yet. Will be a while before I can upload it but hey I have the shot.

Last edited:
Good shot for Week 6, it's a shame abotu the buffer but I don't think it detracts too much

Lovely shot Mark (y) and I love the sense of perspective the man gives standing next to it. Lots of detail and a good B&W conversion too.

I too think it would make a really good cover. Brief definitely met :clap::clap:

Back