weekly Marsha's 2015 photo 52! Still catching up!

Many thanks for dropping in Hazel.

Good WB, a very strong (but not over saturated) blue sky and an interested shaped tree on the third. My only crit would be to ask why did you walk all over that lovely snow :p
When it's blue the sky is AMAZING here, and a polariser makes it look surreal! And as for the snow, how did you know? I took this exact same shot as soon as I got there, and surprisingly the snow was virginal, literally a few meters around it had been stomped to death. But the lighting was pants and the shot was quite dull, so I finished and got up close to the tree stomping everywhere in my snow boots! Then this scene changed and looked great, doh!

Week 4, Companion.

My son and his Blankie, how many of the old 52 sweats remember these two appearing together in 2012?

Week 4: Companion

I actually took this the day after the themes were announced! But I've had a busy two weeks buying (secondhand) a full set of studio gear, lights, modifiers, back drops the works! I've also started down the road of business doing portraits, newborns and maternity shots! Busy times.

And his sad little face after a snack when Blankie is left in the car. He's fine without him until he bangs his head on the tree and needs a cuddle!

No Blankie!

I will get some commenting sorted over the next few days! I promise.

Week 5: Elegant
My husband bought me this, it's like Baileys crossed with my favourite Austrian Chocolate of the same name!

I was in a bit of a rush as I had my lights up playing, so I decided to try a low key shot with lights either side thus keeping the background black. Only a few minor tweaks in Photoshop. I couldn't figure out how to light the front without light spilling on to the creamy/ white wall behind! I shall await a reshoot and research how to do it properly!

Lovely light in companion #1, although a wonderful place, I'd like a closer crop.

Elegant, is elegant indeed. Nice muted greens. I'd like a little more light on the lid (add in the dark area).

Cheers.

Cheers Andy. I did crop the shot of Jack but I didn't want to chop the bench up! Ideally the swine would have looked the other way as well!

As for the bottle, it's not meant to be green! Note to self, check WB! Although I only spotted that at the last minute!
Monitor re-calibrated and I shall check it tomorrow!

I had no idea what colour the bottle was meant to be...but imo it's a cracking image :)

Thanks Ruth, it's meant to be like this:

I've left them both on Flickr as it's quite noticeable! I struggled to see the green on my PC )the light in this room is pants) So in LR I went to the HSL slider, put the thingywotsits over the bottle and dragged left to see what colour changed, before the WB tweak it was the green and aqua. After the tweak it's only the yellow and orange that move!

Marsha ... love the OTT shape, package design and the way you portray it certainly spells Elegant. (y)

Hi Hun

Companions......yup , got it nailed...lovey light, fab focus & DOF......I need some lessons when you're over (y)

Elegant....ummm, that looks like it might be quite pleasant to drink:D Like the lighting on it & the subtle reflection (y)

I've got to admit that "Mozart" sounds pretty sickly to me,
But that doesn't stop it being a nice theme fitting image (y)

Marsha ... love the OTT shape, package design and the way you portray it certainly spells Elegant. (y)
Thank you David, the bottle and gold wrapping just oozes elegance, glad I managed to portray that :)

Thank you Lorraine

Hi Hun

Companions......yup , got it nailed...lovey light, fab focus & DOF......I need some lessons when you're over (y)

Elegant....ummm, that looks like it might be quite pleasant to drink:D Like the lighting on it & the subtle reflection (y)
Cheers Lynne, I am sure we will talk a lot about lighting when I am over! I've had good tips here on metering in typically Cypriot conditions, I finally discovered what the custom settings on my camera are good for!

I've got to admit that "Mozart" sounds pretty sickly to me,
But that doesn't stop it being a nice theme fitting image (y)
Thank you, it is rather sickly actually. Very thick and chocolatey, so best enjoyed in small amounts! It's been declared to sickly for the husband so the rest is all mine!

Thanks Mandy.

Love companions, can never separate a child and his trusty soft companion. bang on theme and lovely shot all round.

The elegant is making me look for the product, where can I get it:beer:, it sounds delightful?!?! Great shot, very elegantly placed/composed and lovely lighting. nicely done!

Love companions, can never separate a child and his trusty soft companion. bang on theme and lovely shot all round.
Thanks, he does go a bit mad if Blankie is left at home!

The elegant is making me look for the product, where can I get it:beer:, it sounds delightful?!?! Great shot, very elegantly placed/composed and lovely lighting. nicely done!
Lol, my hubby got it in Vienna airport while he was passing through there. Apparently there's a white chocolate version as well! I'm disgusted he didn't buy a bottle!

I remember my kids having a Blankie and what a hassle it was trying to separate them from it (it was disgusting by the time I got to wash it :eek:) so this shot is a great fit for the theme. I love the muted colours too.

The Elegant edit is a great shot for the theme (although I'm not sure I could drink it :whistle:) I like the subtle reflection you've got there.

Hi Marsha, What a wonderful place for your scenic, I just love old gnarly windswept trees, that's a fantastic image, :clap:
Your companions reminds me of my own children at that age, Wonderful images !!
Elegant certainly fits the theme very well, I like both edits, but don't think I'd like the contents, lol, but my wife likes that sort of thing.
Excellent work !! :)

I remember my kids having a Blankie and what a hassle it was trying to separate them from it (it was disgusting by the time I got to wash it :eek:) so this shot is a great fit for the theme.
Lol Jill, this is Blankie one of four ;) As soon as he got attached I went and stocked up! They're still for sale as well, but they are very different colours now!

I really like your companion shot, excellent processing, composition and depth of field. Lovely lighting in your elegant theme too.
Thanks Steven.

Cheers Barney, I just wish that tree was nearer!

Companions - takes me back for sure. Love the expression on his face on the 2nd version.
Elegant - l really like the lighting on this, kind of emphasises for me the darkness of it as a calorific sin!
:)

Hiya Marsha - sorry it took me so long to get to your thread... and after you'd managed up Troodos as well! Well done you :)

Lovely shot for scenic and well done on getting the right WB - looks super white too! Lovely detail on that tree trunk (I'd love to get some medium format goodness to capture that detail!) and I love the light glinting off the edge of that trunk. Only thoughts are to lose the further away tree on the left and some of the sky so you get even closer in to that gorgeous tree! Easy to do with a bit of a crop though...

Companions - that is lovely light you've captured on his face and hair in the first shot. Don't always need eye contact! Second shot is a bit blown for me so let's just stick with the first!

Elegant works for me - a good product shot which could maybe do with a bit of a shadow lift (or, better, a larger light source) and I do like the reflection.

Some great images there, especially the first!!

Companion - A nice couple of images and I feel #1 is the stronger of the two.

Elegant - Nice lighting helped by the reflection. I feel a touch more exposure would have helped lift the subject away from the background.

Companions - takes me back for sure. Love the expression on his face on the 2nd version.
Elegant - l really like the lighting on this, kind of emphasises for me the darkness of it as a calorific sin!
:)
Thanks Hazel, it is VERY sickly and sweet, I love it!

Lovely shot for scenic and well done on getting the right WB - looks super white too! Lovely detail on that tree trunk (I'd love to get some medium format goodness to capture that detail!) and I love the light glinting off the edge of that trunk. Only thoughts are to lose the further away tree on the left and some of the sky so you get even closer in to that gorgeous tree! Easy to do with a bit of a crop though...

Companions - that is lovely light you've captured on his face and hair in the first shot. Don't always need eye contact! Second shot is a bit blown for me so let's just stick with the first!

Elegant works for me - a good product shot which could maybe do with a bit of a shadow lift (or, better, a larger light source) and I do like the reflection.

Some great images there, especially the first!!

Hi Paul, thanks for the comments.
I looked at my scenic shot and yes I could crop the tree out on the left but it also chops out half the swirly shadow on the floor :thinking: It's very difficult at any angle to get a clean background!

I do rather like portraits where the subject isn't looking at the camera! I also have to like the slightly blown areas, or it would be a dam nightmare doing any photography out here!

My elegant shot was rushed, I didn't have time to get the mahoosive soft box out or I would have tried it! I intend on keeping the bottle for future practice.

Companion - A nice couple of images and I feel #1 is the stronger of the two.

Elegant - Nice lighting helped by the reflection. I feel a touch more exposure would have helped lift the subject away from the background.

Cheers Peter.
For elegant I wanted it darker, also I couldn't figure out how to add more light without any of it spilling on to the white wall behind? Like I have said, I will keep the bottle for future practice :)

So I have had the busiest month going, but finally got some time to focus in the 52's. I am not sweating it this year, just chilling out and going with the flow!

And talking of all things flowing, here's a slightly late Watery! Annoyingly these were taken the week the theme was out but I took over 240 photos that day and it's taken me a while to sort through them!

To me this image lacks anything to give it scale! All I can say is we very rarely get waves this big here and to try and help you appreciate how big this wave is, this area is where they practice certain SAR drills with a Griffin Helicopter! I took this shot here last year looking down! There's no way they would have tried landing here with these waves crashing in!

Cape Gata about to be battered.

Cape Gata under the waves.

There are two other photos on Flickr, but I think these are the most dramatic!

Any C&C appreciated.

Last edited:
Two very nice images there Marsha, I prefer the first, with "more rocks" showing (y)

Relax, there's a lemur in charge!!!

Relax, the Lemur's in charge!

Ok, pass the shoehorn!! But flying care of her majesty's airways gives us the opportunity to take the kids up to the cockpit! So we took my daughters class cuddly toy (that she had for half term) and asked the pilot nicely if he didn't mind letting the lemur pose for some photos! It's a lot more 'relaxed' flying than on civvy flights!

Watery - I got to agree with you there they are very dramatic looking, I think they are stunning no crit at all on these two.

Relax - I think it is a nice fun take on the theme, and again it is a stunning image and one that not all of us would be lucky enough to get.

Watery. First image is a WOW for me. Lovely scene.

Relax. I was on a flight once and I swear we had the same co-pilot!! :LOL:

Hi Marsha -I like the first image of your watery pics too - I like the more contrast of the water & rocks. Thinking I wouldn't relax if a Lemur was in charge! Great shot - very sharp and like his reflection above him.

Back