week 46-
week 47-
week 48-
week 49-
week 50-
week 51-
week 52-

i went with the sin PRIDE.
my fiancie is goin to make me the proudest man alive in march by giving me my first child which i will spoil to death and be oh so very proud of!

bump.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mathew...welcome aboard :wave:

Congrats on the impending addition....can sense your pride in the event through your writing so the idea for the theme was a great choice (y)

Do you host your images on flickr at all ? Makes it much simpler to upload on to here I find .

Like the focus & appears well exposed so for that (y)
I'd maybe have rolled the shirt up evenly & been tempted to clone/darken the BG to lose the grey pattern bit towards the right ? The icing might have been a hand on the tummy...your maybe?

Good start to your project & good luck with the new arrival (y)

I like the idea, but the lighting could be used to emphasize the belly, not just using a tight crop. I hope all is happy and healthy in 2013.

Hi Mathew and welcome to TP and this challenge and hope all goes well in March

Your picture looks well focused and lit but I wonder if just showing the "bump" would have more effect than including the bits of clothing and arm on the far side which all distract a little. Either that or drape a sheet, curtain, netting around it to give a more cohesive feel.

great start.. looks like you are going to have a fab 2013, definitely something to be proud of!

ok second week...

im goin to go back a few months to start of autum (before all the snow shots come flooding in).

here are 2 photos i took at elvaston castle in derbyshire

photo1

photo2

(im having really annoying problems with inserting a pic onto this post. i click the "add image" icon and insert the URL but the image doesnt apear. HELP!!!)

Last edited:
Matt, I think no.2 is the better of the two although the red is just a tad bit too heavy. The colours are lovely though and makes a fine shot. Well done

You need to select a bbcode link from the flickr site then paste that into your post on this site.

Have reviewed these on Flickr, nice pictures, I like second better but the reds are a little full on. Not sure if you did this in post processing or not. Nice simple photo, spot on with the theme. Good luck with he next theme.

Last edited:
'Ello, Sin, seems strange calling it Sin, but I guess Pride is a sin...:D on theme and I rather like the ink (y)

Season #2 for me. Really rich reds. I'd loose the small LH tree and maybe get closer to the red leaves with a very shallow DOF, focus on the leaves and throw the BG out of focus.

Cheers.

im privilaged to ride/photo alot of friends/people in bmx.

heres one of the guys ridin a skatepark i usually ride.

the trick is a flair (180 backflip)
as they say......

what goes up must come down! (he landed the trick fine lol)

8400477690_fa0a31fb04_c.jpg

also had a second idea and being as i had the spare time decided to have a go at it. turned out to be harder than i expected lol

my best effort
8401337915_9b7c2aaf2a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Good capture. Sure I would have tried this hundreds of times and never quite got it right!
I find the shadows and the busy background a tad distracting though.

Am only looking in my ipad but where there people in the background that you darkened or something?

Cracking frozen action.

What flash set up did you have? BG gives context but I'd like to see it a tad darker. Also, a bit more light on the rear wheel.

Cheers.

Great shot Matthew, keeps us looking to see if it's trick shot (eg turned upside down). As said, timing excellent. Some oddness about the dark and light areas, but nevertheless I love it!

Hi Mathew :)

Gravity 1 - Good idea that, caught the action well, and not a bad result for a flash gun, as Andy said if the background was darkened a bit would help the chap stand out more (y)

Gravity 2 - The angle of the tap end bugs me a bit, but again really well caught and the drip is well caught

Loving the sharpness of the drip, but as mentioned, the angle of the tap does look a bit odd.

Cheers

Love the BMX shot, and I think the lighting adds to the "attitude" of it, it's not a portrait after all! - the shadow of the spectators and the BG add good atmosphere, a real winner in my opinion. :clap:

As for the drip, well, theres some good stuff going on there, but I think you can agree that you have some stuff to learn, and that's why we are here right? think through what you do and don't like about it and how you could repeat/overcome them for next time. Good on you for having a go.

Love the BMX shot , nice work

Hi Mathew

Can't see your images for Season on here but took a peek on flickr...photo 2 has brilliant color to & a nice frame of leaves :)

Gravity...thats a corker of a shot on the BMX....no crit to add (y)

The water drip shot I quite like but find the bright patch's down the rhs a tad distracting

Gravity - first one - I find everything going on in the background very distracting - you have caught the action well and there is good distance to show his height but I do prefer a simpler shot such as your lovely water drop which would be my choice with the bright bit cloned out. Your watermark does overpower it (and does nothing to stop anyone copying the image as too easy to crop out)

Scary stuff Matthew, certainly on point with the theme (y)

Number 1 for me; looks properly wild! Nie and sharp around the head, and I think the body position works (not that you probably had much choice!).

Nice beardy. Great focus, sharpness and colours. I think both shots would be stronger if they were either a full crop to the head/focus or just framed with all limbs in view.

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Wild #1 for me. Liking the pose. Bit more pop for me and perhaps a bit closer.

Cheers.

not really what i was aiming for but unfortunatly i cannot get a good pic of the night sky with my set up tonight so i improvised and used photoshop (is that classed as cheating?)

i will be redoing this weeks theme

IMG_5324 by matcoates-photography, on Flickr

camera was set on 4 sec exposure and all letters where done seperate using the light on my iphone. stars where done the same but on a 2 sec exposure (only did one and pasted the hell out of it lol)

Well I quite like it; creative given the circumstances!

I don't think PS is cheating - you don;t realise how useful (vital) it is until you try to post something up without using it (or similar photo editing software).

It's on theme, I'm sure you've learned lots, and it's fun. So (y) from me.

How about reducing the size of the "star", and it's opacity, and throwing a few of those in to give a bit of depth to the shot?? And maybe rotate a couple for variety??

Nice idea. One ive never tried before so cant offer anything useful, agree about maybe making some stars different sizes/ brightness for depth.

Back