weekly mdpF2's 52 2019

Time
I do prefer your second edit.
I was going to say 'a typical British summer' but last year's summer was a scorcher.

That summertime shot could of been taken here wet wet and wet.
Like the second one Mark - that really does sum up our recent Summer weather. Thanks for cheering me up :)
They both certainly sum up what an English summertime is!
I think the second image has benefited from adding contrast....definitely more punchy!
Nice work Mark!(y)
Time
I do prefer your second edit.
I was going to say 'a typical British summer' but last year's summer was a scorcher.
Made me chuckle Mark for sure. Typical British Summertime!
As ever, many thanks for the feedback, it definitely helps!

Hi Mark,

Full - Very moody. I don't see an issue with photographing in graveyards as long as you're not being disrespectful.
I remember a furore a year or so back regarding an art nude shot in a graveyard (not on here, can't remember where I read it), but simply depicting the beauty (or whatever) of the gravestones / buildings isn't going to upset anyone.

Time - The edit definitely improves it to my eye. But then I like to see punch, especially in b&w.

Nothing wrong with taking photos in a graveyard and it’s a really good idea for the theme

Full works great, especially in mono. And that is a full cemetery. Really well taken and processed

I like your take on full, the mono processing suits it and as other have said, don't worry about photographing in graveyards/churches as there are some really interesting and characterful compositions to be found.

Full
As long as the photos are respectfully done then there's no issue for me.
I would like to see a bit more contrast, take the shadows down a bit. Composition wise it good.

Goes well in b&w Mark, I love old churches and graves as it`s all full of history.
Hi Mark,

Full - Very moody. I don't see an issue with photographing in graveyards as long as you're not being disrespectful.
I remember a furore a year or so back regarding an art nude shot in a graveyard (not on here, can't remember where I read it), but simply depicting the beauty (or whatever) of the gravestones / buildings isn't going to upset anyone.

Time - The edit definitely improves it to my eye. But then I like to see punch, especially in b&w.
Nothing wrong with taking photos in a graveyard and it’s a really good idea for the theme
If tastefully/sensitively/respectfully photographed, then I have no problem, and yours is all these.
Very nice mono treatment, and a great, moody feel.
Excellent work Mark!(y)
Full works great, especially in mono. And that is a full cemetery. Really well taken and processed
I like your take on full, the mono processing suits it and as other have said, don't worry about photographing in graveyards/churches as there are some really interesting and characterful compositions to be found.
Full
As long as the photos are respectfully done then there's no issue for me.
I would like to see a bit more contrast, take the shadows down a bit. Composition wise it good.
Many thanks for the feedback all...

Week 26 Drink.
Back to digital this week, although this feels like a feeble effort compared to the other Drink's pictures...

L1000017 a.jpg

I quite like the composition with the coffee pot and the kettle in the BG

Drink

I wouldn't say it's a feeble effort at all.
It does what it says on the tin (as they say).
The black and white is good, the contrast is good and the composition is good, my only gripe is the white bit at the bottom.

I like that - proper owd kettle too :)

Nothing feeble about this image Mark!(y)
First class mono treatment, good contrast and composition, and nice use of DoF for separation, but with enough background details for context.
Must be nice and toasty in your kitchen during the summer with the Aga on all the time!!;)

I quite like the composition with the coffee pot and the kettle in the BG
Drink

I wouldn't say it's a feeble effort at all.
It does what it says on the tin (as they say).
The black and white is good, the contrast is good and the composition is good, my only gripe is the white bit at the bottom.
I like that - proper owd kettle too :)
Nothing feeble about this image Mark!(y)
First class mono treatment, good contrast and composition, and nice use of DoF for separation, but with enough background details for context.
Must be nice and toasty in your kitchen during the summer with the Aga on all the time!!;)
B+w works well, I like the traditional kettle in the image too, shame about the white part and I'm not sure on the inclusion of the plate.
Many thanks for the feedback, point taken on the white part at the bottom, I tried to darken it but I'm changing from Capture One to Affinity & couldn't work out how to!

Nice shadow study going on there.

Week 28 - 35mm's WIDE - plus colour pop technique.
First attempt at a 'colour pop' although its not really my cup of tea! Back to digital this week, which is quite a bit quicker!

L1000126j.jpg

I like the shot of the spade nice and contrasty, I agree about the colour pop thing it’s not something to be proud of but I think this works as well as a thing else I have seen nice idea for wide too

Nice simple image and the black and white really suits it.
Nice shadow study going on there.
Very effective b+w conversion, simple but effective composition.
Great use of shadows, and the light is hitting the spade just perfectly.
Nice work Mark!(y)
I like the shot of the spade nice and contrasty, I agree about the colour pop thing it’s not something to be proud of but I think this works as well as a thing else I have seen nice idea for wide too
Many thanks for the feedback

Hi Mark,

I really like your last few shots. You take a very nice mono image. I especially like Full. The processing has a nice mysterious feel to it which suits the setting and the theme.
Wide is another good shot. I'm not a fan of colour pop either but you have made it nice and subtle which works really well.

Dirty
Nice Spade shot, i like the light and dark effect.

Wide
I'll have to take your word for it, as I know very little about film. A good little composition and the colour pop thing works quite well, I think because the blue is a pale blue.

Nice job on Wide, great use of the props and the colour pop works well.

Great choice of subject ffor the colour pop technique, it contrasts nicely with the black and white.
Hi Mark,

I really like your last few shots. You take a very nice mono image. I especially like Full. The processing has a nice mysterious feel to it which suits the setting and the theme.
Wide is another good shot. I'm not a fan of colour pop either but you have made it nice and subtle which works really well.
Great image for the theme Mark!
The colour pop technique works well for this image - juxtaposing a b&w film with the colour pop method....clever!
Good composition and lighting too.
(y)
Dirty
Nice Spade shot, i like the light and dark effect.

Wide
I'll have to take your word for it, as I know very little about film. A good little composition and the colour pop thing works quite well, I think because the blue is a pale blue.
Nice job on Wide, great use of the props and the colour pop works well.
Thank you for the feedback, appreciated

Closed: what a lovely image, really nice colour and DoF, and a great take on the theme.

Back