weekly Minx 52 for 2017

Great catch up Alison and well finished for the year. I do like the height:) Is that tower conical or is that foreshortening? Worn out must be how you feel after that:D

Have a good new Year and look forward to seeing your shots in 2018

Alison..... now.... I have to ask.. viewing on phone btw but is there an artistic reason for cutting off the juicy edges ? I think u could have really emphasised the juicy if u had gone in close to the edge of the fruit.. the flesh hanging down... torn and shredded by the juicer?

You have some good, slightly wacky, ideas, Symmetrical being one of them. Would be even wackier if submitted for Weather. :D

Hi Ali,

You - Hmmm, maybe crop in a bit to remove your toes and the floating leaves?
Symmetrical - Cool idea. Works for me in lieu of the real white cold stuff. being really picky, I think the whites could do with being boosted a little (as auto exposure has a tendency to turn white into grey).
Worn - Poor chap. Looks like you've made him march for hours. :)
Height - Knowing hte location and number of trees surrounding this shot tower, that's a good capture of the tower, better than the one on wikipedia.
Remote - It certainly does look like it's in the middle of wilderness, nothing manmade to be seen.
Juicy - I agree with the other comments about this being the pick of your catch-up. The detail, the vibrancy of the colours and the background all work really well (y)
Weather - Nothing like a fully extended flag to demonstrate a windy day. Fast shutter speed working well freezing the motion and good use of DoF to blur out the background a little.

Gratz on getting to the end :)

Great catch up Alison and well finished for the year. I do like the height:) Is that tower conical or is that foreshortening? Worn out must be how you feel after that:D

Have a good new Year and look forward to seeing your shots in 2018

Height - Knowing hte location and number of trees surrounding this shot tower, that's a good capture of the tower, better than the one on wikipedia.

Yes the tower is Conical and has always been referred to as the shot tower, however there has been some debate to whether it was a shot tower, research apparently shows it is not tall enough for the lead to form a perfectly spherical ball, and was probably a windmill used to draw up water to supply the gunpowder mills that were nearby. It has been relabeled as the brick tower.

I have to ask.. viewing on phone btw but is there an artistic reason for cutting off the juicy edges ? I think u could have really emphasised the juicy if u had gone in close to the edge of the fruit.. the flesh hanging down... torn and shredded by the juicer?

no no artistic reason just my bad. I had originally gone in for a closer shot and this one was an after thought. But the close in shots were not as good as this one as the ?Juice is down at the bottom of the Juicer, I am glad I moved the juicer to be more central in the bowl for this shot.

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Nice rustic candle holder.

Wk 51 - Festive - Quite a menagerie in that tree - lots of interesting detail.

Wk 52 - Weather - Got it - windy! Wonder if flag still there after today.

Back