weekly Minx 52 for 2017

Bent works for the theme and I really like the dtails int he fading paint for wood...

I'm not too sure about the line running from the top to the bottom, under the arch.

I believe it is a cable and is probably a very important part of the roller coasters structure.

Hey Alison

Bent - Works really well, especially like the use you've made of the setting sun.

Wooden - Really good clear sharp shot of that distressed signage on the building.
I'm torn between agreeing with the comments about a closer crop emphasising the wood, vs keeping it how you have it to provide the context.

Hi Alison

Display - Welly Doggy is a thing of beauty.
Almost no evidence of reflections from the shop window and just so much to look at.
:clap:

Colourful - Didn't turn out quite so well I'm afraid.
The closest Poppy is too close to the edge really, and OOF whereas the rest of the shot is in focus and thus it doesn't look like a deliberate shallow DoF shot. There is also some weird fringing which makes it look superimposed.

Last edited:
Clever idea for the colourful Alison. I agree it didn't quite come off - but who am I to speak!! ;) I find the second poppy very distracting caught in the shadow and yes, that first one dominates in an OOF, overbright way.

The wellies are wonderful:) They obviously had a few to spare. Well spotted and well taken

Display ... most unusual.

Colourful ... nice idea, think you should have focused on the nearest poppy.

Display - Here, Welly Doggy! Well observed and reflections controlled. Made me laugh too.

Clever idea for the colourful Alison. I agree it didn't quite come off - but who am I to speak!! ;) I find the second poppy very distracting caught in the shadow and yes, that first one dominates in an OOF, overbright way.

The wellies are wonderful:) They obviously had a few to spare. Well spotted and well taken

Display is very cool, like that who ever thought of it :)

Colourful, to be honest not too sure what to make of it, some of the poppies look very false and one very dark, guessing some PP has been missed on one or one was in the shade ??

Display ... most unusual.

Colourful ... nice idea, think you should have focused on the nearest poppy.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Colourful did not come out as hoped, the darker poppy is darker in the original, but I should have brought it up a bit to match the others. I had hoped to get a better photo for a redo but they were taken down before I had the chance.

Thank you.
The building this is on the side of used to be a ceramics cafe, local groups designed their own tiles for the wall. Saddly the ceramics cafe is no longer there but its a great celebration of their community.

got a few to catch up still must try harder next year

got a few to catch up still must try harder next year
Me too!

I guessed it was 'broadband' for the theme, so not too much of a shoehorn :) Build fits the theme. It looks a little blurry to me, but maybe I've had too much of the festive spirits! Rustic could also do for festive! Exposure must have been tricky.

Hi Alison,

Broad - I agree with @Bebop, not too much of a shoehorn. Quite artistic to go for almost a silhouette against the grey sky.
Build - I agree, it's not quite sharp. Maybe the ISO that was needed? Definitely on theme though :)
Rustic - Again I agree with the other comments, this is the shot of the three. I really like that. Nicely exposed and well shot.

Good catch up, doesn't more Christmas-y than your festive shot and nice use of a close crop.

Build fits the theme. It looks a little blurry to me,

I agree, it's not quite sharp.

I agree it is not quite sharp a bit grainy, I think I zoomed in too much and then cropping brings you in closer so it highlights it if you look at the original on flicker it doesn't seem so bad till you get in closer

Hi minx. Broad is an excellent image. A single bold upright and the lines radiating off. Well composed (y) festive is too busy for me but it's fitting for the theme

Back