Most overrated band?

Edit My Images
Yes
Just for a lighthearted discussion.

I don't know if this has been discussed already but it came from a post I made in another thread where I stated the Rolling Stones have probably made more money from the same 4 chords than even Status Quo. I opined that Mick Jagger spun the band's image cleverly and is more of a businessman than a musician hence their success. IHMO they've done nothing of interest since 1972 and should've quit after Exile on Main Street.

Anyone agree? Or if you know of another band less deserving of their stature I'd like to hear who they are.

Last edited:
u two.

Or if you know of another band less deserving of their stature
Just about every single modern manufactured boy and girl band of recent years...

But if we are talking 60's the I agree with @gjhill the Beatles were grossly over rated.

Just about every single modern manufactured boy and girl band of recent years...

But if we are talking 60's the I agree with @gjhill the Beatles were grossly over rated.

Happy to discuss any era but I would say most boy/girl bands are taken with a pinch of salt and tend to avoid the critical adulation that the Stones, U2 etc attract

The Beatles though IMO were fantastic songwriters.
I'll concede that Lennon had his "moments"
But out of all the Beatles songs, I'd personally say there was less than a handful that were truly "any good"

The stones were good in their hay day, but generally once the 70's came along, I feel their songs didn't translate that well into that era

Coldplay and Genesis from the more modern era

Genesis? Modern era?

Never liked The Beatles, U2, Coldplay, nor solo performers Amy Winehouse and Adele.
Can't think of anymore at the moment

Genesis? Modern era?

Never liked The Beatles, U2, Coldplay, nor solo performers Amy Winehouse and Adele.
Can't think of anymore at the moment

More modern than the Beatles which were being discussed at the time.

Agree about Adele, just sounds like she is screaming to me and yes very overrated
Not so sure that can be said about Amy Winehouse

Anyway its not a who you don't like thread
Going back to overrated, honourable mention for Metallica

Last edited:
I’d agree with the Beatles, Coldplay and U2. I think it’s fair to say just because a band is popular it doesn’t mean they are good. Marketing and hype are what sells tracks not the quality of the music. Though of all things, good music is probably the most subjective thing.

Going back to overrated, honourable mention for Metallica
To be overrated they would have to have been highly rated and I Don't think they have ever been that highly rated. Going to see them in a few months but have to say I am really just looking forward to seeing the support act Ghost.

The Beatles only predate Genesis by 7yrs.

Ok you are right, happy now, never known anyone want to argue so much over every little point.
Do you agree its not a who you don't like thread?

As for Metallica, what about the Black album, so that wasn't rated then?

Last edited:
Just been looking through my music collection and another band has sprung to mind

Quite like some of their tracks, but The Jam or more particularly Paul Weller fits the criteria
Ok, but going by all the hype would have expected a lot more

Cliff Richard if we can include solo artists

I agree with U2 completely. Never understood it. .....
Then I suggest you listen to some of their earlier stuff, especially The Joshua Tree.
I get it when bands go on well past their sell by date and the haters come out but they were an excellent band with some classic anthemic songs that still play well today.

The list is rather long, but whilst many of the above have a few redeeming songs, I will never understand the popularity of Amy Winehouse.
Dreadful voice, derivative songs and frankly, given her proclivities, I'm amazed she made it to 27.

Aqua :banghead:
The musical equivalent of stepping on a Lego.

Then I suggest you listen to some of their earlier stuff, especially The Joshua Tree.
I get it when bands go on well past their sell by date and the haters come out but they were an excellent band with some classic anthemic songs that still play well today.
Didn't rate them before Joshua tree let alone after.

I liked Under A Blood Red Sky, but again it's not about personal preference.
They are definitely overrated if you judge them on all their work.

A lot of the hype is just marketing, I remember all the nonsense before Born To Run was released here.
All the "is the world ready" nonsense, turned out to be a superb album with classic like Jungleland and Thunder Road

Last edited:
Obviously if you like that sort of thing. Is it not possible that what you think is good another person thinks is total dross??

Cold Play and Adele

Obviously if you like that sort of thing. Is it not possible that what you think is good another person thinks is total dross??
Absolutely, but I thought this was about overrated bands rather than likes or dislikes. I'm just saying that some of U2's early stuff was very good and not an overrated band and seeing as pretty much everyone hates them now, you can kinda say they're not overrated now either ;)

Last edited:

I like The Joshua Tree, but I certainly wouldn't call it early stuff.

Same goes for Bowie.
Personally I like the early 90's stuff, but having seen him live at the time, I can't even get on board with that.

Clapton too, seen live in 2006....dire.

Queen
Started out as a poor mans Led Zeppelin, ended up being a panto act.

Queen
Started out as a poor mans Led Zeppelin, ended up being a panto act.

Ditto The Darkness, started out being a poor mans Queen and just ended up.

Rainbow another good example, after the classic Rising and Onstage became not much more than a pop band once Dio left
Saw them at the Rainbow (coincidentally) with the Rising line up and they were superb, definitely overrated taken as a whole.

Last edited:
Just for a lighthearted discussion.

I don't know if this has been discussed already but it came from a post I made in another thread where I stated the Rolling Stones have probably made more money from the same 4 chords than even Status Quo. I opined that Mick Jagger spun the band's image cleverly and is more of a businessman than a musician hence their success. IHMO they've done nothing of interest since 1972 and should've quit after Exile on Main Street.

Anyone agree? Or if you know of another band less deserving of their stature I'd like to hear who they are.

The bigger bang tour was fantastic. I loved their earlier RnB stuff but even the later stuff is top notch. Long may they reign. Keefs the ultimate riff machine! :beer:

For overated, play the same song relentlessly it's gotta be Coldplay.

Ditto The Darkness, started out being a poor mans Queen and just ended up.

Rainbow another good example, after the classic Rising and Onstage became not much more than a pop band once Dio left
Saw them at the Rainbow (coincidentally) with the Rising line up and they were superb, definitely overrated taken as a whole.
The Darkness are one of those bands not to be taken seriously, they take the p*** out of themselves and are a great band to see live.
Never rated Zeppelin a lot of their songs are very same and tedious.
Rainbow certainly weren't a pop band with Graham Bonnet on vocals, not as good a singer as Dio, but still rocking, it was just at a time that rock music was moving away from prog rock. Things turned sour with the arrival of Jo Lyn Turner and their music became way to soft.

Back