Motorbikes

Got a couple of weeks off work so today was the first proper bimble of the break out into the middle of nowhere (weekends don’t count - would have gone out anyway!!)
Bike gear needs a good airing ready for another escapade tomorrow :)
350A8912-E10E-4267-9B4B-5E305F0EA188.jpeg

Top tip for the day! (Use the voice of Mr Chumley Warner in your head for the best effect)

If you ever park your motorcycle on its sidestand at such an angle you can't sit on and get it upright ...

DON'T PANIC!

You don't have to request assistance from a passerby (the horror!), find an appropriately sized stone, lean on your motorcycle until you can manouver the stone under the sidestand with your foot.

Once you have caught your breath you can ride off as if nothing had happened.

Last edited:
Ahh ok so the seat height is adjustable. Very useful. Did yours come with that tank colour. Like it a lot but don’t see many of them. What year is it please?

It has 2 seat heights. Mine is a white bike, the colour you see on it is vinyl. Mine was bought new last September.

I had a new helmet delivered yesterday. I fancied adding a flip up to the options. I was yearning for a Neotec 2, but just couldn’t justify spending so much. So I bought a Caberg.

B5CA74A2-DDD6-4700-ACE2-EB97BE52F866.jpegED792D98-0D87-4994-9351-FE276BB649C8.jpeg8556B09D-7E18-4D08-B9C0-0EE6993D508B.jpeg

Last edited:
Never been tempted to have my phone clamped anywhere on the bike to make this a problem but given the number of mounts available I guess people do........
Apple iPhone risk from powerful motorbike vibrations https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58507764

Never been tempted to have my phone clamped anywhere on the bike to make this a problem but given the number of mounts available I guess people do........
Apple iPhone risk from powerful motorbike vibrations https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58507764
Luckily I really don't use the camera on my iPhone for anything worthwhile. That said, in many years, I've always had my iPhone attached to the Harley via a RAM mount and here is one of the reasons I like it and that my iPhone has probably not been damaged as per the article:

This is the RAM mount I use with my iPhone 11 and all previous iPhones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-B-149Z-UN10-Handlebar-Universal-X-Grip®-Phablet/dp/B00JUWB6SO

51WGUG7yZ6S._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Note that in each corner it has rubber grommets. The X is also flexible to allow several sizes of phones to be clamped. That combination of flex plus the rubber grommets dampen the vibrations so the phone is not taking everything through it. In fact, on the bike I don't see any noticeable vibration. Most these days recommend Quad-Locks and I do use those on my bicycle but never for the motorbike.

On the bike the iPhone is used for two things: I have the TomTom app giving identical SatNav to the TomTom Urban or other bike orientated SatNavs, so my Urban has now been sold. Secondly, I have a digital speedometer app which gives me an accurate digital speed readout on an old Harley that only has an analogue speedo.

I don't use helmet bluetooth. If I see a call coming in I'll pull over and answer it. If I don't see it it'll get called back later.

i had a quick 3 days up in Scotland last week, had a glorious day round the mull of kintyre spotting the coast of northern Ireland from the lighthouse...a definite must do again...on the way up i was heading along the A70 and just on the outskirts of Murkirk came across some standing traffic...soon scooted down the outside and found the cause of the holdup... a rider down on the floor and surrounded by police..im a nurse so offered my assistance as they had already been waiting for an hour for an ambulance..poor lad had a compound fracture of his tib and the fib was probably gone too looking at the shape , thumb on one hand had been injured and so had the right hand, hip was sore but i was unable to ascertain in it was broken due to the aforementioned compound fracture ( thats where the bone breaks through the skin)..to be honest there wasnt much i could do but monitor him and try to keep him ( and his girlfriend calm)...i could monitor his pulse and that was strong and steady a good sign when you have someone who has lost blood, throughout, did some basic neuro obs on him and they were fine and i couldnt detect any issues with his breathing so again i was happy...another hour and a half we waited for the helicopter and trauma team to arrive from Glasgow and they were brilliant when they got there...i thought i did ok considering but i afterwards ruminated and reflected on my actions and felt i could have done more so im looking at doing a bikerdown course with cheshire fire service soon as i can...has anyone else done one and did you find it useful?

I don't use helmet bluetooth. If I see a call coming in I'll pull over and answer it. If I don't see it it'll get called back later.
My phone normally lives in a pannier while I’m riding. If someone calls while I’m riding then - I’m riding - they can wait :D

Gotta say that I’m well impressed with the new Caberg helmet I bought. It’s noticeable quieter than my other lids and very comfortable.
Like the Shoei I was yearning for, it’s also dual homologated, and came with a Pinlock insert. All for a third of the price!

Gotta say that I’m well impressed with the new Caberg helmet I bought. It’s noticeable quieter than my other lids and very comfortable.
Like the Shoei I was yearning for, it’s also dual homologated, and came with a Pinlock insert. All for a third of the price!

Does it have a D ring or a ratchet strap? It looks like a ratchet. I'm tempted by the Tourmax version, I miss having a peek for the low sun and sportsbikeshop have a good deal atm.

Does it have a D ring or a ratchet strap? It looks like a ratchet. I'm tempted by the Tourmax version, I miss having a peek for the low sun and sportsbikeshop have a good deal atm.

Ratchet. I almost got a Tourmax, but wasn’t swayed by the colour options.

That's generally my view too but I've got a young son and full time wife and sometimes you just need to answer. :oops: :$
I don’t have either - so get to ride (and ignore my phone) a lot!! :D

Can I ask what your opinion is of the Broozer? Noise, comfort etc. Does it feel safe with the detachable chin? Sorry for the questions, its kind of caught my eye but I've never seen one in the real world.

It is not quiet, but I love it. It is comfortable. I never ride it with the chin removed because it just doesn’t look right, too much of a bobble head shape. Changing the visor is a doddle. Looks great with a leather jacket!

It is not quiet, but I love it. It is comfortable. I never ride it with the chin removed because it just doesn’t look right, too much of a bobble head shape. Changing the visor is a doddle. Looks great with a leather jacket!
Thanks. Good to know about the visor change. I had shortlisted the Broozer and the Boxer but now I find myself looking at the Duke2 as well, seems like a lot of lid for not a lot of cash!!!!!

Thanks. Good to know about the visor change. I had shortlisted the Broozer and the Boxer but now I find myself looking at the Duke2 as well, seems like a lot of lid for not a lot of cash!!!!!

I am well impressed with the Duke 2. If, like me, you ride all year round, it would definitely serve you better in the winter than the Broozer.

i had a quick 3 days up in Scotland last week, had a glorious day round the mull of kintyre spotting the coast of northern Ireland from the lighthouse...a definite must do again...on the way up i was heading along the A70 and just on the outskirts of Murkirk came across some standing traffic...soon scooted down the outside and found the cause of the holdup... a rider down on the floor and surrounded by police..im a nurse so offered my assistance as they had already been waiting for an hour for an ambulance..poor lad had a compound fracture of his tib and the fib was probably gone too looking at the shape , thumb on one hand had been injured and so had the right hand, hip was sore but i was unable to ascertain in it was broken due to the aforementioned compound fracture ( thats where the bone breaks through the skin)..to be honest there wasnt much i could do but monitor him and try to keep him ( and his girlfriend calm)...i could monitor his pulse and that was strong and steady a good sign when you have someone who has lost blood, throughout, did some basic neuro obs on him and they were fine and i couldnt detect any issues with his breathing so again i was happy...another hour and a half we waited for the helicopter and trauma team to arrive from Glasgow and they were brilliant when they got there...i thought i did ok considering but i afterwards ruminated and reflected on my actions and felt i could have done more so im looking at doing a bikerdown course with cheshire fire service soon as i can...has anyone else done one and did you find it useful?
When I had my big smash (compound tib and fib, ribs etc) the relief at seeing someone who could help and reassure was utterly immense. I am sure your guy felt the same, and I'd like to thank you on his behalf for doing what you did. Reassurance is so so important in that sort of situation as adrenalin will be numbing the pain, its just fear that hurts right then.
I can still picture the guy who helped me despite it being 35 years ago, sadly I have no idea who he was.
These things stick with you.

I took a chance this morning!

View attachment 328856

To reduce range anxiety (I thought only EV (and Triumph Bobber!) drivers/riders were the only sufferers!!!), bung a gallon can in a pannier and see how far you can get from a range = 0 situation. Check how easy it is to prime the FI system first though!!!
I had a new helmet delivered yesterday. I fancied adding a flip up to the options. I was yearning for a Neotec 2, but just couldn’t justify spending so much. So I bought a Caberg.

View attachment 329855View attachment 329856View attachment 329857

My LS2 flip front lid's chin flips right back so it doesn't act like an air brake at any sort of speed. Dual homologated too.

I am well impressed with the Duke 2. If, like me, you ride all year round, it would definitely serve you better in the winter than the Broozer.
The Duke 2 certainly ticks all the boxes for practicality (Pinlock visor, drop down sunshade, flip front), style and economy but I just love the look of the Broozer and the Boxer. Trouble is, now I've been looking at Cabergs, the Droids caught my eye too:runaway:

Since I last had a bike I’ve started wearing glasses; tried on a good few helmets and settled on an Arai renegade as the best fit with no interference from the side arms on the glasses.
I’m picking the bike up on Monday, just wondering if anyone has recommendations for anti fog for the glasses?
Pinlock not much use if I can’t see as far as it!

Since I last had a bike I’ve started wearing glasses; tried on a good few helmets and settled on an Arai renegade as the best fit with no interference from the side arms on the glasses.
I’m picking the bike up on Monday, just wondering if anyone has recommendations for anti fog for the glasses?

I literally just read a positive review of something called FoggyWipe.

The only specs I wear when riding are shades and that's pretty much only when fogging is unlikely to be an issue. For correcting my vision on a day to day basis, I wear contact lenses (daily disposable) which don't fog.

I've tried all sorts of anti fog products on the inside of my snorkelling mask and haven't found anything that works as well as I'd like.

Can't comment on glasses but for years I've smeared a small amount of fairy liquid on the inside of my visor and buffed it with a soft cloth or toilet tissue until the smears have gone. This stops my visor from steaming.

Fabulous for mental health too!

Back