Motorway average speed cameras

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Do some people know something I don't? On the M6 today and had loads of car go past at well over the 50mph limit (I have a set limit of 52mph). Don't these system just calculate the time it takes you to go from one camera to another and that should be at or below a set period.

They may be watching their satnavs, which show a truer speed than speedos, which usually overestimate by 10% or so.

I find that too ie cars go above the speed limit, sometimes by quite a lot.

Never sure what drivers are thinking...

dunno, but some folk are knobbers and speed and get caught.
if folk didn't spped and get caught there wouldn't be camers.

half the average speed cameras in the uk are not on they nicked so many drivers they had to be turned off LOL the police could not keep up

We had 15 miles worth on the M5 for about a year whilst they converted the hard shoulder to a fourth lane. During commuting hours pretty much everyone stuck to 50 mph or thereabouts, but I do know a few people who got nicked in the early hours when the motorway was empty.

The lack of a hard shoulder is a worrying thing. Since they've competed this work I've seen two vehicles broken down in the inside lane and the chaos that ensues when approaching drivers suddenly realise that the vehicle ahead is not actually moving is scary.

There will be some variability between cars. If you drove all of them at an indicated 50mph, they would all travel at slightly different speeds but none would be above the actual 50mph.

I wonder what Average lookls like on a sign for Rumanians, Poles, Lithuiana etc.

may translates to Go Faster !

Maybe not all of us, but some certainly do understand English and live their lives by the law of the host country. I believe that speed limits are, in vast majority, set for a valid reason.

Speaking of speeds of other road users - can anyone explain to me how lorries were able to overtake me while I was riding at 60mph??

Maybe not all of us, but some certainly do understand English and live their lives by the law of the host country. I believe that speed limits are, in vast majority, set for a valid reason.

Speaking of speeds of other road users - can anyone explain to me how lorries were able to overtake me while I was riding at 60mph??
That one is a mystery for sure, considering they are supposed to be limit.

Speed cameras don't work on uninsured, untaxed & unregistered cars....

If you were riding at spot on an indicated 60, you could have been doing only 54 so if the lorries were doing a true 60, they could easily pass you. That reminds me, I must check my bike speedos against the tw@nav to see what indicated speeds are the actual limits.

We had 15 miles worth on the M5 for about a year whilst they converted the hard shoulder to a fourth lane. During commuting hours pretty much everyone stuck to 50 mph or thereabouts, but I do know a few people who got nicked in the early hours when the motorway was empty.

The lack of a hard shoulder is a worrying thing. Since they've competed this work I've seen two vehicles broken down in the inside lane and the chaos that ensues when approaching drivers suddenly realise that the vehicle ahead is not actually moving is scary.
They've done the same on the m3 north of Fleet services. Got emergency refuges periodically but useless if you can't limp to one.

A few people said they go at 54mph, because they get away with it. I never tested that nor intend to do so.

Presuming you actually go at 48, the speed difference of 6mph is quite visible.

I used to set my cruise control at 54 in my Citroën c3 as the sat nav used to say it was 52 mph which is good enough for me. I don't speed but that extra 2mph seemed to keep me ahead of the pace.

I average between 50-55 on the average speed cameras but often get passed by others going much faster. The thread mentioned earlier was mine as i had wondered the same as the op. I did look into it and apparently you dont know which two cameras on a stretch are actually checking your speed, could be the first and last or any two inbetween.

the amount of cars that are doing 45mph through 50mph roadworks is really annoying, but as most car speedos are not very accurate it's to be expected.

My lorry tacho is calibrated every 2 years and is dead on with many gps devices I've tried.
So when you are doing 55 and I pass you, you aren't actually doing 55.
I'm doing 56 which I'm limited to and you are probably doing 48.

Oh and don't be a dick and speed up as I get halfway past. That's a sure fire way to p*** someone off. Back off, let me in and overtake if you want to go by so badly.

the amount of cars that are doing 45mph through 50mph roadworks is really annoying, but as most car speedos are not very accurate it's to be expected.

My lorry tacho is calibrated every 2 years and is dead on with many gps devices I've tried.
So when you are doing 55 and I pass you, you aren't actually doing 55.
I'm doing 56 which I'm limited to and you are probably doing 48.

Oh and don't be a dick and speed up as I get halfway past. That's a sure fire way to p*** someone off. Back off, let me in and overtake if you want to go by so badly.

Taking an age to overtake me at 56 when I'm doing 50, and you're in a massive lorry weaving over the narrow middle lane is also a sure fire way to p*** someone off. :)

Taking an age to overtake me at 56 when I'm doing 50, and you're in a massive lorry weaving over the narrow middle lane is also a sure fire way to p*** someone off. :)

So lift your foot off the gas for 2 seconds.

Or does the competitive gene kick in?

:)

Takes about 10 seconds to overtake you if I'm doing 56 and you are doing 50. And I don't weave.

Speeding up when being overtaking seems like a common pass time of some people.

Just this afternoon on M4, I set my cruise control to be 75mph, sat-nav says 71-70mph (the CC setting goes in 5mph steps). Slowly come up to a car that's doing roughly similar speed to me, so I didn't overtake and let the adaptive cruise take care of things. But after a while I noticed we've dropped to 65mph on the speedo, no car in front! I changed lanes to overtake. But as soon as I change lane, he speeds up and drives faster than my set speed. So I pull back and same thing happens a couple more times! :grumpy:

On a relatively empty motorway, use cruise control! Or you are the cause of traffic jams:
View: https://youtu.be/7wm-pZp_mi0

I also came across this. So modern lorries and those who use ACC are helping to reduce congestion:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...car-has-a-huge-impact-on-alleviating-traffic/

You have to use the wide lane and prevent the lorry from pulling in because..... ? In that case, better speed up when you see the lorry is trying to overtake you! :banghead:

Last edited:
Speeding up when being overtaking seems like a common pass time of some people.

Just this afternoon on M4, I set my cruise control to be 75mph, sat-nav says 71-70mph (the CC setting goes in 5mph steps). Slowly come up to a car that's doing roughly similar speed to me, so I didn't overtake and let the adaptive cruise take care of things. But after a while I noticed we've dropped to 65mph on the speedo, no car in front! I changed lanes to overtake. But as soon as I change lane, he speeds up and drives faster than my set speed. So I pull back and same thing happens a couple more times! :grumpy:

On a relatively empty motorway, use cruise control! Or you are the cause of traffic jams:
View: https://youtu.be/7wm-pZp_mi0

I also came across this. So modern lorries and those who use ACC are helping to reduce congestion:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...car-has-a-huge-impact-on-alleviating-traffic/

You have to use the wide lane and prevent the lorry from pulling in because..... ? In that case, better speed up when you see the lorry is trying to overtake you! :banghead:

Smiley face people!

Given the amount of fatals my Mrs has observed I've a extremely defensive driver and the last thing I'd get into is a slow race with a massive HGV.

If you want to overtake me, I'll make sure you do so quickly and get myself out from beside you as a priority. No shame in slowing down to make that happen.

That said, I've seen more than a few HGV bouncing between lanes on the narrow sections, not to mention driving right up my backside if I choose to stick to 50.

Takes about 10 seconds to overtake you if I'm doing 56 and you are doing 50. And I don't weave.

It'll take you less as I'll slow to get out of the way, but why are you doing a genuine 56 in a 50?

So lift your foot off the gas for 2 seconds.

Or does the competitive gene kick in?

:)

Defiantly lift. What I don't get is the ego that says they're going to drive their very heavy lorry faster than the speed limit and do so inches from me.

It'll take you less as I'll slow to get out of the way, but why are you doing a genuine 56 in a 50?

Where did I say that? It was two different statements. One about cars doing well under 50mph in speed camera zones and another statement about how cars often sit at what they think is 55 but actually isn't and then moan about lorries overtaking them at "60mph".
If it's a 50 zone, I'll be doing a maximum of 50

Where did I say that? It was two different statements. One about cars doing well under 50mph in speed camera zones and another statement about how cars often sit at what they think is 55 but actually isn't and then moan about lorries overtaking them at "60mph".
If it's a 50 zone, I'll be doing a maximum of 50

To be fair the distinction wasn't clear, but that being the case, my comments are moot. Actually I'd go further and say I'd agree.

On the A64 around York (dual carriageway), people seem to like matching the speed of any vehicle coming onto the road and not moving over. Thus the joining vehicle has to almost stop at times to wait for a gap in traffic rather than merging gently.

Don't know what that's all about...

Apparently (according to a chauffeur I sometimes use with work), a lot of the people speeding are Romanian (I think) as we don't have an agreement with their government to collect the fines so there isn't much that can be done.

Another chauffeur said he'd been though the ones on the M3 at 58mph and hadn't been ticketed so reckons that's where they are calibrated.

Apparently (according to a chauffeur I sometimes use with work), a lot of the people speeding are Romanian (I think) as we don't have an agreement with their government to collect the fines so there isn't much that can be done.

Another chauffeur said he'd been though the ones on the M3 at 58mph and hadn't been ticketed so reckons that's where they are calibrated.
Guy I work with got a ticket there for doing 56.

How do these work for Morotbikes as they don't have a front number plate?

How do these work for Morotbikes as they don't have a front number plate?
I'm guessing they don't, largely, but I have come a cross a few that "Get you from behind" I guess that someone figured out that to many bikes were getting away with it.
:D

Yepp I got one

Attachments

• 18620212_1448363601852106_4393412731649631532_n.jpg
    18620212_1448363601852106_4393412731649631532_n.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 31
Do some people know something I don't? On the M6 today and had loads of car go past at well over the 50mph limit (I have a set limit of 52mph). Don't these system just calculate the time it takes you to go from one camera to another and that should be at or below a set period.

They think the average speed cameras works same as normal street speed camera. They speed up, slow down just before the camera, go past the camera, then speed up, like they would if they were in a 30mph zone and coming up to a normal speed camera. But average speed cameras don't work the same way. Camera A clock you, then Camera B at the other end clock you. Computer knows how long it took for you to get from Camera A to Camera B. So computer will work out how fast you were going, based on how long it took you to cover how far is it between A and B.

In theory, something like (as a very rough example): Slow down to 50mph, speed up to 90mph, slow down to 50mph for another camera, speed up to 90mph, slow down again for yet another camera, then speed up. Stuff like that, the computer works out the an average speed, and says something like 70mph. Then they get a fine posted in their letterbox telling them they were going at something like 70mph in a 50mph zone.

Now you know something they don't know. Enjoy having a good laugh, knowing you obeyed the speed limit, and they get a nasty stock in the post. :)

Back