Mozthecat’s 52 for 2023 Week 3 Artificial and Week 4 transparent

Great pictures! They are both worthy to be submitted, they both have qualities that make the picture stand out, such as the reflection of the moon in the river.

Two nice shots. I think I prefer the second although it's a touch choice - some lovely points on the lights. Appreciate this is SOOC, but I might be tempted to crop our the post on the bottom right of the second shot

No2 for me too - although they're very small on my screen.

Where is that?

Thanks for the comments so far, they are taken on the wharf on the side of the Thames in Abingdon.

Another vote for the second. Like the starbursts, reflection, and the blue hour sky!

The post in the lower right should either be fully in, or out, in my opinion.

That's a very well balanced shot, light-wise, as you've managed to get Orion's Belt to show in the picture without totally burning out the lights on the bank.

Two super shots with colour in the sky, stars, reflections and starbursts. The second is my favourite as it just looks more "balanced" with the leading lines from the path, the buildings and lights on the left and the moon and its reflection on the right. I would get rid of the post at the bottom right but appreciate these are SOOC. Good luck with your 52!

Week 2: Incomplete

Struggled a bit for inspiration this week, had two immediate thoughts and @AlanDorset and @Punkawallah had them nailed already :)

Then found myself passing Minster Lovell today, which is a favourite site, and am still enjoying the use of a Tokina 11-16mm on loan from a relative so here it is.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2ockiYn

The white clouds feel overly bright to me, but it was around 1pm and the sun was behind the building and have edited out a bright red life ring and cropped another (both were 3 feet out into the overflowing river!)

Sky is bright but not to much so, more important that you have detail in the wall in the shadow I feel. Nicely composed too

Your area - both theme worthy photos, I do prefer the composition of the second one, I might have considered either cropping or cloning the light in the bottom lower right, I don't think it adds anything beneficial.
Incomplete - the distant wall is doing well to still be standing, a nice pleasing scene.

It's a good image Jon. Yes the clouds are blown out but, in my opinion, that just adds some drama to the shadows and adds contextual information about the conditions when the shot was taken.

Week 4: Transparent

View: https://flic.kr/p/2ogctMc

So for this one I was trying a technique I half remember from a talk at The Photography Show around 5 years so. It was taken with a long exposure and a manual triggered off camera flash in few positions to try and avoid reflections. I had a few attempts with an LEB batten before resorting to the flash and this was the best one before I had to admit defeat and head up to work.

I ended up having to clone a few areas, which is not something I have done often either so every days a school day…which is partly what I want from the 52 this year.

edit, just spotted the labels cloning issues on the ipad that I didn’t notice on the desktop…ah well posted now…

Last edited:
I like the whisky, light looks nice and even and brings out the colour. I guess multiple lights could confuse but you have the main highlight on the neck matching the shadow on the base so looks natural.

I think I see the cloning issue you mention, tbh if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have seen it.

Back