weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

Deffinately with the boat for me. It adds interest, gives a hint where the house is, ties the composition together, and, with the girl looking at the house as if she's dreaming about such a lifestyle, is bang on theme.

Three good shots for money, I like the simplicity of the hm treasury shot. As for the house it definitely fits the theme. I like the addition of the boat but I think it would benefit having more on the right hand side. Having the whole boat and more space to the side of the house would improve the shot IMO.

fear - I like that, it's kind of depressing.

industry - that is a beautiful object, why do they bother painting it.

root - nice picture, has a 70's vibe to it.

handmade - portraying interesting shapes of a basic object.

money - that's a beautiful house.

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Handmade....what a beautiful chair....love both shots but prefer the close up...great angle , good use of DOF...you've bought the textures & colors out beautifully :clap:

Money....for me #1 takes top spot...simple , sharp & on theme...:clap: might have cropped the black bit to the right though :thinking:

MAny thanks for all the comments...

Well nothing says money more than HM treasury! Nice clean shot too.

As for the house, it totally screams money to me and a lot of it too! Living where I do my hubby & I drive through some villages going 'mmmmm, smell the money' so yes it's definitely on theme!

I'm torn though, with or without the boat? The boat and gently rippling water add foreground interest but does it distract from the house:thinking:

Liking you money shot, like the pov and it's crisp and clear.

Deffinately with the boat for me. It adds interest, gives a hint where the house is, ties the composition together, and, with the girl looking at the house as if she's dreaming about such a lifestyle, is bang on theme.

Yes, I'm thinking the one with the boat too...
Despite The Goblin's comments - which I agree with. It distracts from the theme - but makes the picture better.

Three good shots for money, I like the simplicity of the hm treasury shot. As for the house it definitely fits the theme. I like the addition of the boat but I think it would benefit having more on the right hand side. Having the whole boat and more space to the side of the house would improve the shot IMO.

Yes - agree - but unfortunately it isn't a crop!

fear - I like that, it's kind of depressing.

industry - that is a beautiful object, why do they bother painting it.

root - nice picture, has a 70's vibe to it.

handmade - portraying interesting shapes of a basic object.

money - that's a beautiful house.

I would love to own a beautiful chair like that! Great treasury shot with thoughtful composition on both. Thanks Mandy
Yes, treasury is my favourite - but not 'legal' unfortunately.

I prefer the house with the boot on the river, really nice take on the theme :)
Good! another vote for the boat...

Hi Mike
Handmade....what a beautiful chair....love both shots but prefer the close up...great angle , good use of DOF...you've bought the textures & colors out beautifully :clap:

Money....for me #1 takes top spot...simple , sharp & on theme...:clap: might have cropped the black bit to the right though :thinking:
Many thanks for all the kind comments

I like the Treasury pic (y) , I'm not really taken with the house as 'on theme'.

I do like the strong lines of The Treasury - shame our economy isn't as defined. The house is also a good take on the theme but I prefer the former (y)

Treasury building for me. Clean, sharp and original. (y)

Great shots for money this week. The Treasury shot the winner of the three, nice clean and crispy. Very nice shot of the house too.....what have I told you about taking pics of my country retreat....that was my hideout from the filth :D:D:D;);)

Many thanks for all the positive comments.
I am persuaded that HM Treasury is my pic for this week.
Kind of breaking my 'photo must be taken during the week' rule. I am claiming that I am not breaking the 'spirit' of the rule. The reason for imposing that rule was to force me out taking photos every week. I achieved that this week with a couple of reasonable shots.
It's just that HM Treasury is the better photo...

I like this pic - clean simple lines just my sort of thing!:)

Some weeks are harder than others especially with other comitments, I don't think it matters if you use an archive (I've not been far off recently and prob will have to soon) especially when its for such a great shot!:)

Industry - For me I like the simplicity of #3.

Root - Looks like you've handled the exposure well. Snow can often hamper get it right.

Handmade - I liking the detail in #2 but #1 is the winner for me. The composition and angle is spot on.

Money - #1 is nice and clean and is spot on theme as well

you have a really good series of photos look forward to seeing the rest

'Win' great image and well caught I was hoping to see a few sports pics this week. Like it a lot. I also think a 'close crop' of the ball-holder would work very well with the other two cropped out as it's a great position (y)

That's a great shot for win :) I'd maybe have liked a slightly faster shutter speed to completely freeze the action, though it's a matter of taste whether or not action shots should have motion, and you've frozen the key bits anyway. See my attempt for an example of freezing high speed action ;)

A crop on the guy with the ball would have been great too, but it's a fantastic shot anyway :)

That's a great shot for win :) I'd maybe have liked a slightly faster shutter speed to completely freeze the action, though it's a matter of taste whether or not action shots should have motion, and you've frozen the key bits anyway. See my attempt for an example of freezing high speed action ;)

A crop on the guy with the ball would have been great too, but it's a fantastic shot anyway :)

Thanks for the kind comments.
- Just looked at yours - super fast exposure - 4 secs - he he
- Joking aside, I deliberately used as slow a shutter speed as possible to try and introduce blurr to try and give the impression of motion. Actually I started the afternoon at much slower speeds but that didn't work out well.
-Shutter speed was 1/200th

nice to see a shot with someone doing something, well caught Mike and the tighter crop works better

oh nice shot, I prefer no.1 with the 'beaten' guy on the ground. Well done :clap: (I like blur in action shots, shows movement :p)

great photo, I prefer #1 again the spectators don't bother me! I like that you have left a bit of movement in there as o often thses shots can look too static. Well done!!:)

Back