Tutorial My advice for aspiring photographers

Sorry to necro this but wow, what an amazing post. Used the beauty part to help encourage someone today which was really amazing. She was talking about how she loved lights at night and if it was weird, just thought it was amazing I could encourage her to be comfortable with her own sense of beauty. Have I said amazing yet?

Gimmicks and merchandise will come and go, but honest photography is never outdated.

So true

Thank you, wasn't sure that I needed to be buying loads of equipment to take a picture, but reading this all I need is the camera I have and a passion to excel myself and nobody else.

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Good to see this thread coming to life again. I read this when I first joined the forum and thought it was great. Although, after reading through everything again I can't get Baz Lurman's 'Everybodys free to wear sunscreen' out my bloody head.

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

thankyou...thought provoking and true

I'm a newbie to photography and it males a lot of sense .... thank you very much cjnicolai ... a full bow

Some good advice but in terms of "u cant specialize in everything" i reckon you can with lots of experience.

i Also disagree how you should turn down jobs you may not be able to do. Why? Because if u say yes, you could do well and gain some great experience doing the unknown but of course tell your client that and offer a cheap rate.

How else are you going to get experience shooting for a client?

Yes u can practise taking portraits of your friends/family and yes u can take product placements on your own at home but what about whilst doing it for a client? for someone you dont know? for money? its a different kettle of fish and you just wont get that experience practising at home

Last edited:
Charging clients for you (u) to practice is an ethos not widely respected throughout the professional photography industry, or some of it;s clients.

Some News media are all for pictures from those still practicing their photography skills, however, there are not many who would expect to pay, not even cheap, they all want it for free.

Because if u say yes, you could do well and gain some great experience doing the unknown but of course tell your client that and offer a cheap rate.
You could also do badly and the experience may not be that great. The client knowing of your in=experience would probably not offer you work anyway and therefore not be a client.

Charging clients for you (u) to practice is an ethos not widely respected throughout the professional photography industry, or some of it;s clients.

Some News media are all for pictures from those still practicing their photography skills, however, there are not many who would expect to pay, not even cheap, they all want it for free.

You could also do badly and the experience may not be that great. The client knowing of your in=experience would probably not offer you work anyway and therefore not be a client.

true but some clients may be up for it. their is a thread in the business section that asks same question and most togs said to go for it but let the person know of lack of experience.

The thing is, its the age old argument ie how can you gain experience if you dont land a job?

thank you for this post. As a starting photographer, i get frustrated n sad alot when i cant get i cant exactly whats in my head out in photos and i tend to compare my poor photos with other peeps' . But thanks to your post, ill look on the brighter side and possibly get my styling out.

Thanks for that wonderful post! I just posted on the general forum that next week I'm starting a little camera club for some ladies "of a certain age" and asked for some advice. I can really use your very thoughtful advice.

+1

Back