My Indoor Project & Journey into Off Camera Flash

Just arrived now the counter weight, but I want a NEW ONE as this thing is rusty as hell. Just on chat with them now :mad:

Wow! Sorry to hear that Dave. You'd think they were deliberately trying to discourage repeat business. :facepalm:

That looks like one that fell out of a broken box, then sat in a damp corner for a few weeks...

The images don't really show, but it is dirty so like you say it looks like it was left out side. Staff on chat are trying to help so will give an update on what happens.
I've said I want a NEW one delivered and the driver can take this rusty one back.

I could say it is off putting, but yet again LenCarta staff have been fantastic. Charlotte said that batch had been a bad one so she showed a photo of a new one just out of the box and it's been dispatched now, so at the end of the day it was the lot who sent them to LenCarta in the first place. She said keep the old one, will I shop there again... YES.

Better I think, especially the second one. Next time you're allowed a break, you may want to try getting it even further behind . . .

Personally, I think that the last one, in particular, is a big improvement - but what do you think?

Personally, I think that the last one, in particular, is a big improvement - but what do you think?

Thank you Garry, my favourite is the second one but only because of the edit, the best of the three is the last one though. For me I got it just right after so many shots, as I used my big round reflector on the RHS to get the light to come back and lite his face. Plus I'm well chuffed how the lite has made his head gear really stand out more.

That looks like the trickiest of subjects Dave.

I tried the Godox Canon trigger on the Olympus yesterday and it works fine in my limited tests so far [emoji4] I’m chuffed about that.

Your Native American model is a great subject for your lighting journey isn’t he?

I tried the Godox Canon trigger on the Olympus yesterday and it works fine in my limited tests so far [emoji4] I’m chuffed about that.

Your Native American model is a great subject for your lighting journey isn’t he?

Got to say I do love taking images of my American Chief.

Of some of my Egyptian pieces I have had the pleasure of getting over the years, three will be very hard to light as two are a gift my father got from a London auction many years ago and they are just as heavy if not more than the counter weight two hands just to pick them up as some is Gold, and another one is a King Tut 15inch statue.

Of some of my Egyptian pieces I have had the pleasure of getting over the years, three will be very hard to light as two are a gift my father got from a London auction many years ago and they are just as heavy if not more than the counter weight two hands just to pick them up as some is Gold, and another one is a King Tut 15inch statue.

Lovely to capture something you’re so strongly connected to. You could make a photo book of them all.

Lovely to capture something you’re so strongly connected to. You could make a photo book of them all.
That is what my plan is, as I have quite a few favourites put aside for a book.
I think it may be worth mentioning that, for a book (which is basically a collection of record photos) it's normal to use flat lighting. Of course, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't use much more creative lighting as well, for your own photos.

My comments - which are based entirely on my own preferences, which may be very different to yours - are these.
1. Chief. I would like to see a light skimming right to left, to show the texture better, plus a backlight on the hair, to lift it from the background, which could then be made jet black.

2. Middle Eastern. I think the lighting is fine, but perhaps straighten the verticles in PP and make the background jet black.

3. Tiger Head. I really like this one, but again a black background would add both consistency and drama, and maybe a light from the right to show the texture better and also put a strong catchlight in the eye.

4. King Tut. I like the drama, but perhaps a light from the left to avoid the left side merging into the background?

My comments - which are based entirely on my own preferences, which may be very different to yours - are these.
1. Chief. I would like to see a light skimming right to left, to show the texture better, plus a backlight on the hair, to lift it from the background, which could then be made jet black.

2. Middle Eastern. I think the lighting is fine, but perhaps straighten the verticles in PP and make the background jet black.

3. Tiger Head. I really like this one, but again a black background would add both consistency and drama, and maybe a light from the right to show the texture better and also put a strong catchlight in the eye.

4. King Tut. I like the drama, but perhaps a light from the left to avoid the left side merging into the background?

Thank you Gary, I will be having a go again today as it really is enjoyable trying this all again after so long. It's just a shame I only have a small amount of room to do it in, but I will keep on practicing.

Wish I had more rechargeable batteries, so will get some more. Black bit of cloth over my little tabletop then place the tiger bust right on the edge so it was about 3ft away from the cloth, then used the TTLf on the right hand side then used the X-T5 + XF18mm f1.4 R.

SS 1/200 AP f7.1 ISO 125

TIGER HEAD by Rohan, on Flickr

Tiger Head Bust by Rohan, on Flickr

Massive improvement!

Yes, once more a massive improvement.
Do you actually understand the correct process, which applies to every shot? I ask the question because I have a suspicion that, like most people, your earlier efforts involved setting up the lighting first, not last.

1. Think about what you want to show in the photo - which parts of it are important.
2. Position the camera, that's distance and height. Always much easier if it's on a tripod.
3. Deal with the technical elements, i.e. focus, depth of field, lens aperture.
4. Arrange the lighting to produce the desired result.

The lighting is always arranged last, because the position and the choice of lighting modifiers is affected by everything else.

Yes, once more a massive improvement.
Do you actually understand the correct process, which applies to every shot? I ask the question because I have a suspicion that, like most people, your earlier efforts involved setting up the lighting first, not last.

1. Think about what you want to show in the photo - which parts of it are important.
2. Position the camera, that's distance and height. Always much easier if it's on a tripod.
3. Deal with the technical elements, i.e. focus, depth of field, lens aperture.
4. Arrange the lighting to produce the desired result.

The lighting is always arranged last, because the position and the choice of lighting modifiers is affected by everything else.

Thank you Garry, as you might well know I did not follow what I have in the past as I totally forgot to use my tripod plus I moved the flash around first off. Will learn from that.

The light is both too high and too soft. Try again, but don't bounce the light.

Back