New Old Film Challenge discussion thread

The entries for #191 Dancing closes tomorrow so remember to get your Photographs uploaded.(y)

The poll has now closed for #191 Dancing and the joint winners are excalibur2 and Mrs Snap, so congratulations to you both and I am sure you can decide on who chooses the next topic.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Our challenge "New old film challenge # 192 Something a child is wearing that makes them look amusing" might be difficult?
This one is open for entries for three weeks.
Plenty of time to search those archives.

Our challenge "New old film challenge # 192 Something a child is wearing that makes them look amusing" might be difficult?
This one is open for entries for three weeks.
Plenty of time to search those archives.
Is there any particular reason why it’s open for 3 weeks?

Is there any particular reason why it’s open for 3 weeks?

No reason, I just guessed a suitable date thinking of stragglers.... I can shorten the finish date if the subject is too difficult? If two people says "yes" I'll reduce it by a week. or more.

I've altered it to "something a person is wearing that makes them look amusing"...How do I edit the challenge title?

Last edited:
No reason, I just guessed a suitable date thinking of stragglers.... I can shorten the finish date if the subject is too difficult? If two people says "yes" I'll reduce it by a week. or more.
The original post, setting up the comp suggests that entries are open "generally" for a week. I had no idea that we could just choose a random duration, although the number of images in my back catalogue is pretty low, so finding images is fairly quick for me.

The original post, setting up the comp suggests that entries are open "generally" for a week. I had no idea that we could just choose a random duration, although the number of images in my back catalogue is pretty low, so finding images is fairly quick for me.

Well I can't remember when I won last to set a date :rolleyes: anyway ends on the 22nd Oct now folks, and don't forget anyone wearing something that makes them look amusing from e.g. men dressed up as women (erm for fun not serious) to a funfair where you put your head in a hole and the board shows you dressed as a monkey etc etc

Well I can't remember when I won last to set a date :rolleyes: anyway ends on the 22nd Oct now folks, and don't forget anyone wearing something that makes them look amusing from e.g. men dressed up as women (erm for fun not serious) to a funfair where you put your head in a hole and the board shows you dressed as a monkey etc etc
Thanks for clarifying Brian, I'll go and have another look shortly. (y)

I've altered it to "something a person is wearing that makes them look amusing"...How do I edit the challenge title?

There should be a little menu at the top-right of the first post in your thread like this:

1665828419523.png

Click the elipsis (three dots) and there should be an option to edit the topic where you can change the thread title.

3 days to go folks, so dig out your old shots...you must have something even if it's someone wearing a silly Xmas hat.

Challenge ends today but I've forgotten how to turn it into a poll? :rolleyes:

If you go to the top of the thread, you'll see a couple of rectangles on the right hand side. One is marked either "Watch" or "Unwatch" depending on whether you're not watching or watching the thread. The second contains three full stops and a filled in triangle. If you click on this one, you'll get the option to create a poll.

Poll closed folks and congratulations to the winner dmb with a lovely shot that the family will remember......over to you for the next challenge.

Reactions: dmb
New comp "Root and branch" is live here:

A three way tie between FishyFish, Chris R and Kevin Allan., so it's over to you dudes to sort the next challenge out. Altogether a fine set of pictures.

I'll hand it over to @ChrisR to choose the next comp. (y)

Thanks for everyone who voted for me.
Ooops, only just found this, sorry. I'll have a think...

EDIT: since I entirely forgot to add any posts about it, I'll add it in here... the thread was Road(s), by my calculation no 197, and was won by the inestimable Mr B!

Last edited:
Here's a couple of workers boring the cylinder of a Hick, Hargreaves Uniflow engine. Engine 83, 1929. I know for a fact that this shot was taken with a Thornton Pickard Imperial half-plate camera which I was lucky enough to own for a little while when the photography, or should I say reprographic department shut down. I was the manager of the department at the time.

Harvest.jpg

Actually, looking more closely at the picture, maybe they are setting up to face off the end of the cylinder.

Last edited:
Back