NickDs 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase.

A bit of a catch up after the stormy half term break.

Week 6 - Alley.

Or snicket, or ginnel or whatever your local variation is... either way we don't seem to have many around here, but I finally managed to snag one.

Tumbledown Alley by Nick, on Flickr

Week 7 - Heavy - Tech ICM

Comparatively heavy anyway, JBS Heavy, my pellet of choice for midrange target work, and a favourite of many airgun hunters (although that's not my bag at all).

Heavy by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very slim horses you have up your way. Typical alley.
Clever use of ICM with your heavy shot (See what I did there ;))

Nice alley, and good work with the ICM shot. I used to have an airgun (actually I still have it in the loft although it's not seen service in the best part of 30 years), and that pellet tin brought back some memories! .177 too.....

Both are good shots for their respective themes and you managed to get the technique in as well...well done.

Very slim horses you have up your way. Typical alley.
Clever use of ICM with your heavy shot (See what I did there ;))

Thanks!
It must be some old right of way bylaw, It's not often you see a horse around here. I'm still not sure about the ICM, it feels a bit for the sake of it... which to be fair, it was!

Oh no! I hope he's okay.

They had him at the Royal Veterinary College yesterday. They sent a pretty surreal picture of him going into an MRI scanner. Hopefully modern technology can help.

Nice alley, and good work with the ICM shot. I used to have an airgun (actually I still have it in the loft although it's not seen service in the best part of 30 years), and that pellet tin brought back some memories! .177 too.....

Cheers!
I suspect most people have got one in the loft somewhere, and the way they were made back then they probably all still work. Airgun technology has come a long way, and while I have more modern guns I still love taking my old HW77 with open sights down to the range... there's a challenge to it.

Pellet tin is a good idea and a good ICM.

Thank you!
I was desperately thrashing around for a heavy idea, and while down at the range with my eldest last week I realised that these said 'heavy' on the tin.

Both are good shots for their respective themes and you managed to get the technique in as well...well done.

Thanks!
A bit of a desperate last gasp on the tech and I didn't quite achieve what I wanted, but I definitely learned something, which I guess is the point.

Week 8 - Light.

I love this light. While working on the computer in my little home studio, this is what I can see behind me from the mirror in front of me behind the workstation. In the dark and cold of winter, it's warm and homely. I've always said I'd get a picture of it one day. It's a simple shot, almost a snap I guess, but it's an accurate representation of what's there, and the image makes me feel how the light does.

Light by Nick, on Flickr

I think the way you have taken the shot elevates it far above a snap.

Lovely simple and clean but effective shot, suggesting warmth

Nice one :)

Very slim horses you have up your way.

That sign means NO horses (and the other means NO cyclists). Confusingly, similar signs with a diagonal line through the horse mean the same...

Nice warm tones. I can imagine it feels cosy.

Thanks!
The tones are lovely, and they're as they appear to me. It's not quite straight from the camera, as there's a few little scars on the wall that I got rid of, but I didn't really mess with anything else.

I think the way you have taken the shot elevates it far above a snap.

Cheers!
It just looks like that. The only real decision was the metering, as I found centre-weighted represented it most naturally.

So simple but has a lovely feel to it.

Thank you!
I did wonder, as it's almost a picture of nothing, but I do like how it feels.

A lovely, simple shot Nick. Warm and inviting.

Thanks!
I'm quite pleased with how it feels.

Lovely simple and clean but effective shot, suggesting warmth

Cheers!
I think it's the eco-bulb that gives it that warmth.

Thank you!
It;s nice when a scene works as an image... given how often that's not the case!

Nicely taken. Invites you to sit underneath with a good book.

Thanks!
It's a bit draughty as it's by the door. It looks cosier than it is!

Thats a nice image Nick

A simple shot as you say but it really gives a sense of warmth and peacefulness. I like the simplicity.

Thats a nice image Nick

Thanks!
I think it's turned out nicer than the sum of it's parts.

A simple shot as you say but it really gives a sense of warmth and peacefulness. I like the simplicity.

Cheers!
I can see it over my shoulder now, it makes me smile.

Such a simple well executed picture. It fits the theme very well!

Thank you!
I did think I was taking the mickey a bit, no real set up, no additional lighting required, etc. But it works.

A nice simple pleasing image with warm tones

Thanks!
I think it's the tones that do it for me, and they're pretty much as is.

Nicely done Nick. I like the lighting and composition.

Cheers!
Some photographs are just sat there waiting to be taken.

Week 9 - Damp.

I caught this little fella drying off in the morning. not incredibly damp by this stage, so it's a bit of a stretch maybe, but he's still got a tear in his eye. At least he was damp enough to be unable to fly off when I stuck a lens in his face! :D

Fly Tear by Nick, on Flickr

The DOF is unbelievably small, presumably a macro lens has been used to achieve this?

Wow, that DOF must be only a few millimetre, like it

Thanks!
It is wafer thin, I was pretty close and wide open.

The DOF is unbelievably small, presumably a macro lens has been used to achieve this?

It was just the Fuji 18-55, but with the Raynox DCR250 on the front. I'm sure a proper macro lens would be much better, definitely much less hit and miss in terms of focus, but for the little macro I do the results are ok.

Excellent shot.. especially on Flickr. Looks like he's posing for you.

I cry too when someone tries to take my picture...really good macro Nick.

Great shot. I like that!

Thanks!
I got lucky, they're quite sluggish at this time of year.

Excellent shot.. especially on Flickr. Looks like he's posing for you.

Cheers!
I don't think he had much choice, I'm guessing he was too damp to fly.

Fabulous shot. I love the contrasting colours too.

Thank you!
The colours are pretty much as nature intended, with a little help from the Astia film simulation.

I cry too when someone tries to take my picture...really good macro Nick.

Thanks!
I hear that! I'm much happier behind the camera rather than in front of it.

Great shot!

Cheers!
It did work out better than I'd hoped, to the extent that until I processed it I was still looking around for something else. Though I do find the wafer thin section of focus by his feet a bit distracting.

Week 10 - Seen Thro' A Window.

I tried lots of shots for this, but it was returning to the office that helped me out. While the windows themselves are no great shakes, there's a fair bit of interest beyond them.

Below My Window by Nick, on Flickr

A good shot that fits the theme well.
Lots of elements that will allow you to play with your telephoto lens in future.

Good image that hits the challenge button.

This is very good Nick. A lot that you could do with all of the lines and angles. I think that it fits the theme admirably.

Back