NickDs TP52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase... Bring on 2022!

Still Life is a lovely shot. Beautifully lit. I like it a lot.

nice moody still life the figure and the books go together, not sure what the cameras doing there, though I'm probably missing something.

Works well with the muted tones and black background.

Thanks!
Clean black or white backgrounds are still one of the things I find trickiest.

Still Life is a lovely shot. Beautifully lit. I like it a lot.

Cheers!
This was the classic, camera in one hand, phone with led torch in the other.

nice moody still life the figure and the books go together, not sure what the cameras doing there, though I'm probably missing something.

Thank You!
Maybe it is a little incongruous on reflection. When I was gathering items, the camera was on a pile of books on the bookshelf (where it often ends up), and I liked the way it looked. I figured I'd get away with it's inclusion on an art/creativity basis, and I added the roll of film to reinforce the idea of a printed medium.

Living.. lovely shot of a lovely bird.
Still life - okay, had to look up chiaroscuro and I think you've managed to recreate it perfectly.

Perfetto...

the choice of props - the books in particular complementing the semi-reclined sculpture figure - with the camera and roll of film strewn around as if someone had taken offence at the invasion of privacy from an old school paparazzo and stripped the film to prevent embarrasing photos being published. Yep - a true still-life - as a friend of mine once explained, the best still life is more like a single frame storyboard from a short movie...

Still life is a cool shot Nick, like the touch with the roll of film on the LHS.

Thanks!
I think I got the feel I was after this time.

Living.. lovely shot of a lovely bird.
Still life - okay, had to look up chiaroscuro and I think you've managed to recreate it perfectly.

Cheers!
I always feel guilty with bird shots, they're naturally beautiful, so it's hard to get it wrong.

Perfetto...

the choice of props - the books in particular complementing the semi-reclined sculpture figure - with the camera and roll of film strewn around as if someone had taken offence at the invasion of privacy from an old school paparazzo and stripped the film to prevent embarrasing photos being published. Yep - a true still-life - as a friend of mine once explained, the best still life is more like a single frame storyboard from a short movie...

Grazie!
I love they way you've filled in your own story there, and I like the fact that my photograph allowed for that.

Week 50 - Miniscule.

Miniscule?... Miniscule?... damn! We're out of bug season.... what have I got in the house?
Aha, salt!
I don't have any real macro gear, but realised that I needed to include more than the subject anyway to give a sense of scale, hopefully without the miniscule subject being lost. I did a non-vegetarian version of this too, which I actually prefer, but I left that one over on Flickr, as I felt with this being a captive audience, some people really don't want to see raw meat with their breakfast. Also the meat version is a massive crop.

Salted by Nick, on Flickr

Nicely shot Nick!

Salt on your mango, what ever next. Nice close up and the colour works to highlight the grain.

Pete

Nicely shot Nick!

Thanks!
Quite a dumb setup, kitchen lights, hand held, and the Raynox DCR250.

Good mini shot Nick.

Cheers!
It was almost the smallest thing I had to hand.

That's very minuscule.......
Nicely done.

Thank You.
I did try with table salt first, but it was pretty nondescript, it could have been mistaken for dust. The rock salt has a bit more to it.

Nice work Nick

Thanks!
A bit of a rushed idea, what with time being short at this time of year, but I'm fairly comfortable with it.

I like that.

I couldn't tell what the salt's sitting on though, so I don't mind the meat version either.

Cheers!
They are both a bit vague, because of the shallow DOF. In a way the meat/veg is only there for scale.

Salt on your mango, what ever next. Nice close up and the colour works to highlight the grain.

Pete

Cheers!
Mango? Mango?... nothing so exotic. :ROFLMAO:
As a northern child of the 70s I probably didn't know what a mango was until I was 30!
Good old fashioned carrot, parsnip & swede here... and I was probably pushing it a bit with the olive oil!

Perfect item for the theme good idea to use a wider shot for a sense of scale

Perfect item for the theme good idea to use a wider shot for a sense of scale

Thanks!
I did experiment, it was a trade off between detail in the salt, and some sense of context. I think the balance is about right.

Week 51 - Seasonal.

From seasoning to seasonal... see what I did there?:ROFLMAO:
A bit of a rush job to get in before the whole Christmas thing kicks off. It's Santa, peeking over a pile of Quality Street... seems seasonal to me.

Santa by Nick, on Flickr

Rush job, smush job... Seasonal, colourful and thus bang on theme. Hope you have a great Christmas.

Very seasonal works for me

Happy Christmas

Last edited:
Yep that's does the job nicely :)

Thanks!
On reflection it turned out OK, just lit by a window to one side.

Rush job, smush job... Seasonal, colourful and thus bang on theme. Hope you have a great Christmas.

Cheers!
It was the colours that made me go with it. We were given a tin of Quality Street the night before, and the colours of the wrappers chimed with the idea of seasonal, I just had to think of something to go with them.... Enter Santa! I hope you had a great Christmas too, and that the coming year is a great one.

Very seasonal works for me

Happy Christmas

Thank You!
A belated Happy Christmas to you too, and all the best for 2022!

Yep that's does the job nicely :)

Thanks!
Sometimes the dumb, fast ideas work out well!

Certainly seasonal.. and very cute santa :)

Cheers!
It's one of those things... I've no idea when we got him, where we got him from, or why... He just always seems to have been around!:D

Well... we made it folks... Bloody well done to everyone who got through... It's not easy. And many, many thanks to @Cobra for facilitating the whole shebang with such aplomb!
Thanks to all who made time to comment, and to those who gave me interesting images to comment upon. It's impossible to do this and not learn something.

Week 52 - Showcase.

While I love being forced to be creative on a weekly basis by the 52, my whole photography raison d'etre is Family. Having managed with a phone since my film days, I bought my first DSLR the day after the boy in the picture was born, then the learning curve began, and by the time the twins arrived a few years later I almost knew what I was doing... almost. Most pictures I take don't really end up anywhere, but I have the lives of the kids well documented, and hopefully in the future they, and their kids will appreciate that.

This was taken in the local woods in the Easter break this year on one of our many nature forays... I still struggle to believe that I had a hand in creating something that beautiful!

Shadows and Light by Nick, on Flickr

A great finale (y)

And many, many thanks to @Cobra for facilitating the whole shebang with such aplomb!
Thanks Nick :)

A great finale (y)

Thanks Nick :)

Cheers!

Thank you, it really is much appreciated.
I do often wonder, when I see a photographer when we're up at Whipsnade with the kids (which happens a lot).... Hmmm, could that be the mystery Cobra? :D

Nice final picture and story to end your 52, have a good new year

Fab final shot Nick! I'm with you on the family thing. One thing that nearly croaking in April 2020 with Covid is that there are two important things in life. Your health and your family. Everything else is gravy.

Nice final picture and story to end your 52, have a good new year

Thanks!
All the best to you and yours too!

Great story and final picture to end the year.

Cheers!
The kid photos are always my favourites.

Fab final shot Nick! I'm with you on the family thing. One thing that nearly croaking in April 2020 with Covid is that there are two important things in life. Your health and your family. Everything else is gravy.

Thank you!
It's so true. It's really easy to forget what's important.

my whole photography raison d'etre is Family
This is a great reason, and your showcase image just hammers it home. Over the last few years it's been really nice to discover I can take pictures just for me. Best wishes to you and yours for 2022.

Hmmm, could that be the mystery Cobra? :D
It could be, It could be :D

In the colder months I usually wear a "real tree" coat, and my camera strap is a branded Talk photography one.
If you spot me come and say "hi" I don't bite, well not that hard anyway ...

It could be, It could be :D

In the colder months I usually wear a "real tree" coat, and my camera strap is a branded Talk photography one.
If you spot me come and say "hi" I don't bite, well not that hard anyway ...

I certainly will!

This is a great reason, and your showcase image just hammers it home. Over the last few years it's been really nice to discover I can take pictures just for me. Best wishes to you and yours for 2022.

Thanks!
Unless it's a paid project, pleasing yourself is the only way. Of course it's great to share, and wonderful when people see something completely different in the same image... But it's personal, it came from you, and belongs to you, and if it pleases you that's all that matters. I'm exactly the same with music, the moment I even consider what the audience will like I'm not writing for me anymore, and all motivation evaporates.

Nice Final Shots Nick.

Santa getting fat on all those chocs and the family shot is fab u lous.

Pete

Lovely personal photo to finish - nicely captured and the mono works well.
Happy New Year!

Nice Final Shots Nick.

Santa getting fat on all those chocs and the family shot is fab u lous.

Pete

Thanks!
Santa didn't get a look in, I'm bigger than he is!

Lovely personal photo to finish - nicely captured and the mono works well.
Happy New Year!

Cheers!
That was the Acros film simulation. I often shoot in it, it has a look I really like.
All the best to you and yours for 2022 too!

A lovely portrait to finish on. Well done on completing the 52.

I missed your Seasonal shot before. Excellent idea and nicely captured. He actually reminds me of someone.... I am sitting here tucking in to our Quality Street :)

Wishing you all the best for 2022.

Back