NickDs TP52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase... Bring on 2022!

Fits the theme really well. I can see what @Cobra says as it does boggle the mind a little. I think it almost feels like it is rotating.

You chose a good day with the blue sky.

Its Hard to get right in the centre while looking straight up as I did in 2018 Linky

See... now that's what I'd envisaged before I got home and uploaded the images.... Nicely done!

fits the theme nicely and is very eye catching.

Thanks!
I think there is an impact to it, purely because of the size of the structure.

Fits the theme really well. I can see what @Cobra says as it does boggle the mind a little. I think it almost feels like it is rotating.

You chose a good day with the blue sky.

Thank you!
The more I look the more I see there's some twisting going on. I got lucky with the sky, but when it's right at this time of year it's lovely.

Really nicely done.

I think all my life, I've been fascinated by these but never actually gone and stood under one.

Cheers!
They are usually fenced off, but this one, in a leafy suburban (quite posh) street, is open. Why on earth people would by a 3/4 million quid house with that thing outside the front door I'll never understand though.

It works for me as an image. There are symmetrical lines but I can imagine what was in your head before you went underneath it.

It works for me as an image. There are symmetrical lines but I can imagine what was in your head before you went underneath it.

Thanks!
I'll just have to be content with 'fairly' symmetrical this time.

Week 44 - Snappers Choice (Composite)

I initially wanted to have a go at an eye with the logo of my current musical project, but I had a change of heart and thought I'd go for something a bit more appropriate to a photography forum. Out came the Vito Cl, and I wished I'd not bothered. Blending the clean and metallic with something organic is tough (for my limited skills at least). While trying to minimise the contrast between the two I stumbled upon this filter, which while I know wont be to everyone's taste, gives it a gritty graphic novel feel, that I think is pretty appropriate for a cyborg-ish thing.

The Camera Eye by Nick, on Flickr

Despite your misgivings it works for me.

It works in graphic novel kind of way as you say I think you have done the right thing by converting it.

Despite your misgivings it works for me.

Thanks!
It does have something... I'm just not sure what!

It works in graphic novel kind of way as you say I think you have done the right thing by converting it.

Thank You!
I'm not usually one for monkeying around with photographs, but I didn't have much choice here, it was necessary to make it work at all.

It's certainly different, and I think it works well. I don't see any problem in straying from the "natural" photo and playing around with tools and filters. at the end of the day, it's all art (what is art? Discuss), and this ticks the boxes for that in my mind.

Love it. Very cyberpunk, "A Scanner Darkly" and graphic-novel-y.

Just want to see the rest of the face tbh. Needs to be a series of images. Would make a great zine.

Brill.

I think this works well, like you say it has a graphic novel feel.

It's certainly different, and I think it works well. I don't see any problem in straying from the "natural" photo and playing around with tools and filters. at the end of the day, it's all art (what is art? Discuss), and this ticks the boxes for that in my mind.

Thanks!
It is outside my comfort zone, but I don't dislike it. The whole thing is pretty tweakable and probably warrants some time spent exploring the possibilities. It could be interesting for colour subjects.

Love it. Very cyberpunk, "A Scanner Darkly" and graphic-novel-y.

Just want to see the rest of the face tbh. Needs to be a series of images. Would make a great zine.

Brill.

Thank you!
Ok, I admit, I had to Google 'zine'. I had thought about doing a whole face in this kind of style as a collage. It's definitely something I'd like to find the time to follow up.

I think this works well, like you say it has a graphic novel feel.

Cheers!
It's something that could be refined and explored, but for a first attempt I can live with it.

Week 46 - Back (of).

Ah street... it's been a while and I missed you! :)
I've not done anything along these lines since before lockdown, as there's not much scope for it around here. Back to the office for a couple of days this week, and the Fuji and the 27mm always comes with me. This was taken on the way home yesterday, and is clearly the 'Back (of)' some Dude... Had I bought something I would have been at the 'Back (of)' a very short queue. :ROFLMAO:

Cupcakes by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely exposed and best in the B&W too.

Sign of the times with the facemasks.

Nice one.

I'm sure I've seen that movie :D

Nicely exposed and best in the B&W too.

Sign of the times with the facemasks.

Thanks!
I'm a sucker for mono street shots, there's a reason why it's a cliche. The light here (in the tube station) really lent itself to it too.

Nice one.

I'm sure I've seen that movie :D

Thank you!
It does have that kind of feel.

Really nice shot, well captured. I like all the lines in the scene.

Cheers!
There are so many lines, I didn't notice until I was processing. At the time I was just looking at the light and hoping for the servers to move into a decent position.

Nice shot - works well in B&W (y)

Thanks!
To be honest I didn't consider colour for a second for this one, as pretty as the colours were.

Great shot, looks like the server spotted you!

Thank you!
I do try to be upfront and not look suspicious. I find being a little blatant (particularly in London) just makes me look like a tourist.

Week 47 - Culture.

I think it fits, it's a sculpture, it's in a museum (albeit a science museum), and c'mon... he's even reading a book!
We came across this chap yesterday, a bronze by Marc Quinn of 'Zombie Boy' Rick Genest, who set about some pretty extreme body modification after being diagnosed with a brain tumour. At 3.5 metres tall, this sculpture greets you on the Medicine floor, and is pretty imposing, and well worth a close up study. I was lucky to grab a couple of seconds with no people in shot.

The Self-Conscious Gene by Nick, on Flickr

Interesting and slightly disturbing certainly fits the theme for me.

Curious back story, nicely taken Nick

Interesting and slightly disturbing certainly fits the theme for me.

Thanks!
Oddly enough it's probably the least disturbing exhibit in the medical section!

Curious back story, nicely taken Nick

Thank you!
Marc Quinn seems to base his work on interesting stories. It was he who created the sculpture of Alison Lapper that sat on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square for a time.

Nice composition with the pillars framing the sculpture

Cheers!
It is laid out really nicely... if you can get it at a time when it's not so busy.

Back of - a really good image, the light is handled perfectly and the subject is interesting.

Culture - that's an interesting sculpture, really eye catching and you've composed it very well (it has a Star Wars-esque feel about it).

What a really interesting sculpture! I'm quite taken with the bio hazard symbol on the chest it seems quite relevant these days.

Well captured!

I think this is one of those images that works better as a series, or set of images because it's your description of the image that makes me go back to it and give it a second-over. Not something to explore whilst doing a 52 though and the composition is very tidy.

Inetersting on more that one count. Well done Nick.

Pete

Thanks!
It's beautifully done, capturing the tattoos in bronze can't have been easy.

Perfect for the theme and I enjoyed hearing about it. That's a pretty imposing statue at 3.5m. Nicely captured.

Thank you!
It really has impact, greeting you as you walk in the entrance to the floor. The scale, the subject matter and the look on his face really give it weight.

Back of - a really good image, the light is handled perfectly and the subject is interesting.

Culture - that's an interesting sculpture, really eye catching and you've composed it very well (it has a Star Wars-esque feel about it).

Cheers!
I never made the Star Wars connection, but now you've mentioned it I see what you mean, although it's hard to articulate.

What a really interesting sculpture! I'm quite taken with the bio hazard symbol on the chest it seems quite relevant these days.

Well captured!

Thanks!
The tattoos are fascinating, both from the level of his personal experience, and as social commentary. Had the area not become quickly crowded I could have spent ages studying it.

I think this is one of those images that works better as a series, or set of images because it's your description of the image that makes me go back to it and give it a second-over. Not something to explore whilst doing a 52 though and the composition is very tidy.

Thank You!
Strangely, I rarely go for a 'set', I've no idea why. It is a subject worthy of study.

Week 48 - Living.

It's that time of year where living starts to get tough for some. Mrs Blackbird, who we almost never see at easier times of the year was around again this morning waiting for me to scatter some birdseed. She still flies off when I open the door to do so though, you'd have thought she'd know I'm her friend by now... Mr Robin does, I hope to have him feeding from my hand before winter is out.

Hard Living by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely shot. Nice and sharp and all the branches out of the way!

Nice one Nick :)

On theme. Nice catchlight in the eye. Good luck with befriending her.

Our blackbirds always fly off if I venture into the garden. I am currently trying to get two crows to become a bit more tame. I think it will take a while. They've been hanging round my garden for a few years.

Lovely shot. Nice and sharp and all the branches out of the way!

Thanks!
Bare trees make bird shot much easier. I had a nice clear line of sight here.

Nice one Nick :)

Cheers!
She's a handsome thing.

On theme. Nice catchlight in the eye. Good luck with befriending her.

Our blackbirds always fly off if I venture into the garden. I am currently trying to get two crows to become a bit more tame. I think it will take a while. They've been hanging round my garden for a few years.

Thank you!
Crows are generally far too smart to become tame.

Good composition Nick.

Thanks!
With the long lens I had a fair bit of space around her, so I could refine the composition with a crop.

Week 49 - Still Life.

Always a nightmare for me, but I wanted to go for the muted tones from the classic paintings, along with the single light source, chiaroscuro effect and just enough light.

Still Life by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back