Nikkor 200-500?

Or there has not been a break in the clouds, the rain has not stopped and it's still Winter!

Or, I didn't want to state the bleeding obvious and having read all the other winter posts, I naively thought that this lens has now been out for a while and a few more people may have obtained one !!

LoL... I started writing this and was going to add more but a colleague came into the room, starting gassing and realised after posting I actually hadn't completed the post!

I felt I had my say on the thread over the months and didn't want it to appear that I'd hogged it and camped out here!

The second shot here is 1/80s handheld VR in the rain! (Actually sold a 1.5m print of this) The last one 1/100s, again handheld VR both at f6.3 - all shot around the 300mm mark.

I'll continue to sing its praises...

Grey Seal 12 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

B50_0118 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

B50_0105 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

B50_0112 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Last edited:
LoL... I started writing this and was going to add more but a colleague came into the room, starting gassing and realised after posting I actually hadn't completed the post!

I felt I had my say on the thread over the months and didn't want it to appear that I'd hogged it and camped out here!

The second shot here is 1/80s handheld VR in the rain! (Actually sold a 1.5m print of this) The last one 1/100s, again handheld VR both at f6.3 - all shot around the 300mm mark.

I'll continue to sing its praises...

Grey Seal 12 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

B50_0118 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

B50_0105 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

B50_0112 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

That is a really nice set. I'm very impressed by the quality of this lens and the weight of it. Thanks for sharing.

That is a really nice set. I'm very impressed by the quality of this lens and the weight of it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.... much appreciated. The grey seal photo was 500mm 1/500s at f8 BTW

I'm tempted, I'm getting to the stage where VR might have its uses.

Used it extensively 'in the field' last week. Thought I'd chime in for those thinking about this lens. In brief:-

• if you're used to a f4 lens you'll notice how slow the AF is in comparison. This may or may not be a problem depending on what your subject is and the type of shots you like.
  • Sharpness is quite good as is 'bokeh'.
  • Very portable and I can shoot all day handholding (not so with my 500/4).
  • Versatile of course, but changing focal length requires a big turn on the zoom ring, which can be a problem if (a) you need to be discreet, and/or (b) you need to do it fast.
Overall though, I feel it's a decent lens for the focal length and quality. It's priced appropriately and is inline with existing competitions. If you shoot mainly static stuff and/or in good light, this lens will perform amicably. If you like action and often work in low-light, it may struggle to keep up, especially if you're used to the performance of a f4 super tele.

Hope the above info of some use to you.

des_hare.jpg

D750, ISO1250, 1/3200th, f5.6, @500mm, 90% full-frame.

des_tit.jpg

D750, ISO3200, 1/400th, f5.6, @500mm, 85% full frame.

des_squirrel.jpg

D750, ISO3200, 1/60th, f5.6, @380mm, 90% full frame.

Just pulled the trigger on one,it arrives tomorrow.

Barry, if it's no good I'll blame you as its your pics and report that made my mind up. Lol :)

Still toying with the idea of getting one but the long awaited Fuji 100-400 is due out soon (if not already available) and that'll give me a touch over 600mm EFL for about the same cost. Then there's the Sigma f/2.8 version...

Used it extensively 'in the field' last week. Thought I'd chime in for those thinking about this lens. In brief:-

• if you're used to a f4 lens you'll notice how slow the AF is in comparison. This may or may not be a problem depending on what your subject is and the type of shots you like.
  • Sharpness is quite good as is 'bokeh'.
  • Very portable and I can shoot all day handholding (not so with my 500/4).
  • Versatile of course, but changing focal length requires a big turn on the zoom ring, which can be a problem if (a) you need to be discreet, and/or (b) you need to do it fast.
Overall though, I feel it's a decent lens for the focal length and quality. It's priced appropriately and is inline with existing competitions. If you shoot mainly static stuff and/or in good light, this lens will perform amicably. If you like action and often work in low-light, it may struggle to keep up, especially if you're used to the performance of a f4 super tele.

Hope the above info of some use to you.

des_hare.jpg

D750, ISO1250, 1/3200th, f5.6, @500mm, 90% full-frame.

des_tit.jpg

D750, ISO3200, 1/400th, f5.6, @500mm, 85% full frame.

des_squirrel.jpg

D750, ISO3200, 1/60th, f5.6, @380mm, 90% full frame.

Wow the last 2 are incredible.

Mine arrived today just as the light was fading but got a few shots off and they look good.

Looks like testing will be tomorrow as the rain has not stopped all day.

Still not managed to get out with the lens but took this one in the house at 200mm f5.6.
14588-1455461129-b97cd18776124df8c47a308eefcff385.jpg

one in the house at 200mm f5.6.

For two days of excruciating waiting I was expecting
a lion or something… now I can let my nails regrow.

Cool little fellow Lain.

For two days of excruciating waiting I was expecting
a lion or something… now I can let my nails regrow.

Cool little fellow Lain.
Might look like a small dog but there's a lion underneath.

What would be a fair price for a used copy of this lens?
It's hard to say when I've not seem one copy go up for sale second hand. As the cheapest UK price is £1059 at SRS Microsystems and grey at panamoz is £891. Second hand price I would guess would be a little lower than the grey price say £800 (maybe?) The price of this lens is slowly dropping now it's been out a few months and supply seems to have caught up. Considering the first uk prices were £1179 at release there probably are not going to be many uk sellers at a loss of £300+ 6 months later. Even grey release price would mean a £200+ loss.

Two form today, nothing exciting, taken @ 500mm F5.6 on a D3 heavy crop.

14598-1455549768-1d41d3eefb7d08f648b8746673147d6d.jpg

14599-1455549768-6dc11c8d61d945a36f68a02217a5e3e4.jpg

It's hard to say when I've not seem one copy go up for sale second hand. As the cheapest UK price is £1059 at SRS Microsystems and grey at panamoz is £891. Second hand price I would guess would be a little lower than the grey price say £800 (maybe?) The price of this lens is slowly dropping now it's been out a few months and supply seems to have caught up. Considering the first uk prices were £1179 at release there probably are not going to be many uk sellers at a loss of £300+ 6 months later. Even grey release price would mean a £200+ loss.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rob. Was thinking around £750-800 myself.Got my eye on one secondhand elsewhere but they want £950!
Think i'll wait for prices to level out before taking the plunge unless a bargain comes up!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rob. Was thinking around £750-800 myself.Got my eye on one secondhand elsewhere but they want £950!
Think i'll wait for prices to level out before taking the plunge unless a bargain comes up!
It depends on if you take grey into account. In the classifieds here it's always mentioned, other places it may not be taken into account, if that lens was purchased at £1179 I can understand them pricing it at £950 if it's not a grey. It all depends what you are willing to pay and if you are willing to buy from a grey seller.

I've just received my copy of this lens from Panamoz. Excellent service and a huge saving on the UK stock.
How long did it take to arrive?..Was all set to order a sigma 150-600mm c but have been looking into this lens this afternoon.Would want the dock with the sigma which takes the price to £770 but for just over a hundred more could get this from panamoz..

Had the opportunity to use one of these today and was really impressed with how it performs. The first shot is at 260mm, f5.6 and the second is at 700mm with the 1.4 attached at f10 and 1/100 in a 25kt wind. My 'big' lens is a 500 f4 and the main difference when using the 200-500 is how much longer it takes to acquire focus when the light levels drop, once it's acquired focus it seems to have no problem keeping it. As I said I'm very impressed with its performance for the money.

Hawk T1 - Leeming 16.02.16 Nikon 200-500 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

Tucano T1 Linton 16.02.16 Nikon 200-500 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

How long did it take to arrive?..Was all set to order a sigma 150-600mm c but have been looking into this lens this afternoon.Would want the dock with the sigma which takes the price to £770 but for just over a hundred more could get this from panamoz..

Hi Stuart.
Ordered last Thursday morning and delivered Monday pm. Certain beats Amazon 'express' delivery for speed!
I had a chance to take a few shots with the lens yesterday and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. The VR is extremely effective, image quality very good and it's not too heavy at all (I'm used to carrying a 300mm f2.8 around).
It is physically a large lens, particularly when at 500mm focal length, but seems to balance very well on my D810 with battery grip.
For what it costs it seems to me to be an excellent lens.

Have to say I am surprised at the lack of activity on forums with regard to this lens?..It looks superb and i have googled the hell out of it but just doesnt seem that much "Buzz" about it? As mentioned on the sigma thread I am off to try both side by side at weekend at srs and hoping to walk away with one.

Have to say I am surprised at the lack of activity on forums with regard to this lens?..It looks superb and i have googled the hell out of it but just doesnt seem that much "Buzz" about it? As mentioned on the sigma thread I am off to try both side by side at weekend at srs and hoping to walk away with one.

I'm still considering getting one looked at the Sigma but I think the lightness of it by compression is going to win the day.

Back