Nikkor 200-500?

I spent days looking at the sigma,tamron and nikon and drove my mrs up the wall reading reviews and looking at hundreds probably thousands of images online but for me the nikon did seem to come out on top for me and what I wanted.I was all set to buy the sigma and save some cash but when tried side by side it just wasnt going to happen.

I rather get the correct one from start but it a lens I won't use a awful a lot but handy to have along with a 70-200 2.8

Which sigma u looked at the C or S

I agree Andrew I didnt want to regret my decision as doubt I would be in that position again for quite a while! I was looking at the nikon and the sigma "C"

What your main use of this lens pal?

Thinking about renting one of these for a week just to tick off a few wildlife shots I want/need, would this be the better bet over the Tamron 150-600? I'm not bothered about gaining 50mm at the wide end, but I wonder if I would be bothered about loosing 100mm at the long end?

I like the fact it's an extra 1/3rd stop brighter, all helps in dingy UK light!

Thinking about renting one of these for a week just to tick off a few wildlife shots I want/need, would this be the better bet over the Tamron 150-600? I'm not bothered about gaining 50mm at the wide end, but I wonder if I would be bothered about loosing 100mm at the long end?

I like the fact it's an extra 1/3rd stop brighter, all helps in dingy UK light!
In all the tests the Nikon came out better than the Tamron but I think you would be fine with either.

I would prefer to buy the nikon, but thinking if I went for the tamron I'd could spend the rest on another lens.

lol..I was toying with what I could spend the saved cash on also but honestly I think the Nikon is well worth it.Go for the nikon if you regret it sell it on here at a small loss go get the tamron and still have some cash in your pocket.:beer:

lol..I was toying with what I could spend the saved cash on also but honestly I think the Nikon is well worth it.Go for the nikon if you regret it sell it on here at a small loss go get the tamron and still have some cash in your pocket.:beer:
+1 on that advice.

Mmm, now you've got me thinking.....off to Mull in a couple of weeks. Might hire one and see how I get on.
Mate, at 50% you could hire both lenses and see what you prefer! I'm a bit lucky as I can nip into Maidenhead as I'm going to working in West London around those dates, so you'll have postage no doubt to add on, but it would still be very reasonable before you paid good money to own either lens.

Mate, at 50% you could hire both lenses and see what you prefer! I'm a bit lucky as I can nip into Maidenhead as I'm going to working in West London around those dates, so you'll have postage no doubt to add on, but it would still be very reasonable before you paid good money to own either lens.
That thought had crossed my mind :)
Only for Feb though, and I'm going in March :(

Last edited:
What the weblink pls as I can't get on

One from the other day 200-500 @ 420 F8.

14697-1456582253-f4b979418cecb1cd0ae016c423342651.jpg

Nice shot Iain..thinking about ordering one of those cheap beike 45 gimbals for mine.Not used one before but for the price wouldnt mind trying one and see how I get on with it.

I tend to work handheld or bean bag but if I was using a tripod I would get a gimbal head.

I never appreciated how useful gimbals are until I got one.

Nice shot Iain..thinking about ordering one of those cheap beike 45 gimbals for mine.Not used one before but for the price wouldnt mind trying one and see how I get on with it.
I purchased one of them a few years ago, for the price they are not bad but they are not as smooth as the more expensive models but price and performance has to be taken into account. One thing to bare in mind is the weight of gimbal heads, they are around 1-1.5kg so soon add weight specially if your lens is around 2kg like the 200-500.

Last edited:
Cheers both still undecided guess I need a good day out shooting handheld before I decide

Has anyone on here used theirs for motor sport? I would be interested to see/hear the results.

Does it bother anyone that it isn't weather sealed like the Sigma? I believe both the contemporary and sport are dust/splash proof.

Stuart, did you shoot the football match today? Are you able to share any photos? Would be interesting to see how it holds up to moving subjects.

I got so fed up waiting for the weather to clear its first outing was in the rain! (Go back into this thread and find my steam loco shots).

Never gave the sealing a second thought.... gave it wipe down when I got back, that's it :)

[edited to include the post number ---- #179 }

Last edited:
Aha, they are some very nice shots. Interesting to see the image quality with a much larger subject in the frame.

I have found that as long as you're not getting the lens dripping wet they are normally ok with a bit of rain! I always try to air on the air on the side of caution though...

How did the focus perform with the moving subjects? I assume ok looking at the photos you have posted!

Sam had to work today until lunchtime and my son done his ham string yesterday so all going against me today!! I did manage to place my order for an adult membership to whipsnade though so if weather is good will be up there tomorrow

That's not good, hope your sons hamstring heals up quickly, always a horrible injury!

Keep us posted on whipsnade, fingers crossed for the weather.

Thanks mate will pass on good wishes. Really hoping to get few hours in up whipsnade tomorrow but 50/50 at the mo wether I make it or not.

Back