Nikkor 200-500?

Just a Duck, in this case Shell Duck D7200 200-500m @5.6 cropped .

14617-1455897770-0687926073e5150bd9d01c8b066407c7.jpg

Well remind me never to go to SRS Microsystems in Watford on a match day!!Took ages to get there due to traffic around watford.I guess it was worth it though..:D
Went in and asked to try the sigma 150-600mm c and the 200-500mm vr...once out the box I was surprised how much bigger the nikon actually looks and feels,also fair bit heavier!I have seen them side by side in pictures online but next to eachother in the flesh they looked quite different.Tried the nikon first..loved the build quality and the vr on that lens is very impressive,because of the weather outside and trying the lens in store etc shutter speeds were low but did give me a good idea of what speeds I could expect to achieve useable images.Very surprised at 500mm and 1/60th I got what looked on the camera a half decent focused shot.The AF I was expecting to be rather slow after reading numerous reviews etc but in reality its pretty good and so that was a plus.Then I tried the sigma,again lovely build quality and really liked the look of the lens.Not sure if it was just this version but found the zoom ring much stiffer or tighter on the sigma than the nikon.Next the OS I found to be pretty good but not as effective as the VR.Also with the sigma the image in the viewfinder jumped around alot whereas on the nikon it was stationary(yes actually had to check to see if it was active on the sigma!).So after playing around a little more with both I made my decision

:nikon: had to be the 200-500mm for me.The sigma was nice and sure its a better lens for some but for my needs the nikon will more than do.It just felt better in my hands and the VR is incredible on it.The 100mm on the long end also didnt matter too much to me after trying them both in the flesh.Shame the nikon doesnt have a nice case like the sigmas do,at this price I thought they could supply one.So I was fairly sure today I may have got the sigma but wasnt to be.Still a lovely lens a fair few quid cheaper but the 200-500mm came home with me in the biggest gold box I have ever owned!!:eek:

Last edited:
Well remind me never to go to SRS Microsystems in Watford on a match day!!Took ages to get there due to traffic around watford.I guess it was worth it though..:D
Went in and asked to try the sigma 150-600mm c and the 200-500mm vr...once out the box I was surprised how much bigger the nikon actually looks and feels,also fair bit heavier!I have seen them side by side in pictures online but next to eachother in the flesh they looked quite different.Tried the nikon first..loved the build quality and the vr on that lens is very impressive,because of the weather outside and trying the lens in store etc shutter speeds were low but did give me a good idea of what speeds I could expect to achieve useable images.Very surprised at 500mm and 1/60th I got what looked on the camera a half decntly focused shot.The AF I was expecting to be rather slow after reading numerous reviews etc but in reality its pretty good and so that was a plus.Then I tried the sigma,again lovely build quality and really liked the look of the lens.Not sure if it was just this version but found the zoom ring much stiffer or tight on the sigma than the nikon.Next the OS I found to be pretty good but not as effective as the VR.Also with the sigma the image in the viewfinder jumped around alot whereas on the nikon it was stationary(yes actually had to check to see if it was active on the sigma!).So after playing around a little more with both I made my decision

:nikon: had to be the 200-500mm for me.The sigma was nice and sure its a better lens for some but for my needs the nikon will more than do.It just felt better in my hands and the VR is incredible on it.The 100mm on the long end also didnt matter to much to me after trying them both in the flesh.Shame the nikon doesnt have a nice case like the sigmas do,at this price I thought they could supply one.So I was fairly sure today I may have got the sigma but wasnt to be.Still a lovely lens a fair few quid cheaper but the 200-500mm came home with me in the biggest gold box I have ever owned!!:eek:
Nice one!
Can't wait to see how you get on.
Was there much difference in the price?

Well the sigma c was £739 plus £39 for the dock and the Nikon was £1059..yes bit more expensive but hoping it's worth it!

Next the OS I found to be pretty good but not as effective as the VR.Also with the sigma the image in the viewfinder jumped around alot whereas on the nikon it was stationary(yes actually had to check to see if it was active on the sigma!).So after playing around a little more with both I made my decision

The Sigma OS can be changed via the dock ... it is set to be "jumpy" as standard but there are two other settings if I remember correctly, one which is stationary. Personally if I had a Nikon though I would have made the same choice as you.

Ahh yeah remember reading something about that mate..Think I would have still chose the nikon though.

Well the short time that I have used it for I couldnt be happier!.Cant wait to try it out at a football match next week.

Thanks Mark much appreciated.I'm really liking it and although its quite heavy I dont think i will have any issues handholding it for lengthy periods but I am using it on a small body d5500.Not so sure on a large body with grip lol

They look fine Stuart. mine goes between a D7200 with grip and my D3 and find it ok for hand holding.

Cheers Iain..At the moment I am editing my pics on a 50" sony tv as my PC is connected to it in the lounge.They look really over saturated through the tv but when viewed on my ipad or phone chrome book etc they look ok.Really need to get myself a decent monitor soon.

Just changed mine as the old one expired and the difference with the new one is huge.

Anyone recommend a decent case for this lens or holster.I have a mini trekker and although it does just fit in with hood reversed it does bulge out a bit to the point I wouldnt feel comfortable carry it in there.I have seen the lowepro 13x32cm case is a good fit but rather buy a bag/holster or back pack that I can fit it all in.I have the 200-500mm an 85mm a macro and just the kit lens any suggestions?..Dont want to spend a fortune but want something half decent!

Anyone recommend a decent case for this lens or holster.I have a mini trekker and although it does just fit in with hood reversed it does bulge out a bit to the point I wouldnt feel comfortable carry it in there.I have seen the lowepro 13x32cm case is a good fit but rather buy a bag/holster or back pack that I can fit it all in.I have the 200-500mm an 85mm a macro and just the kit lens any suggestions?..Dont want to spend a fortune but want something half decent!

Can I recommend a Hazard 4 EVAC Photo Recon Camera bag. Unable to post some links but there are some reviews on YouTube.

Thanks Nick just ordered a lowepro 13x32cm lens case which hopefully will attach to my mini trekker...seems a lot pf 200-500mm owners have purchased it and jessops have it on offer at 21.97!!

Yeah a tenner of rrp and by all accounts fits the lens with hood reversed albeit snuggly..Will get the mrs off my back about it being stuck on dining room table lol in its big gold box:D

Well the lowepro lens case arrived today and very happy with it! Lens fits in it a treat even with tripod foot on and hood reversed.Usual lowepro quality very good.indeed.Saved me buying a new back pack so happy days as this can be attached securely to my mini trekker.Worth a look if you are after one .

Very nice Barry..looking to get out with mine at some point over the weekend either to my sons football or nip up whipsnade for an afternoon.Just need to get work sorted tomorrow so I can have weekend off.

You'll enjoy it. I was lucky yesterday. Working in Peterborough, just needed to shift my lunch break by 45 mins.

I reckon so Barry..itching to have a proper play with it on something other than my dogs! May even take it to work next week as where I am working has kites flying around all day and very low at times also.I think the house next door feeds them as seen 2-3 dive down and take things from their garden.

Nice shot Barry, I've just been looking to see when it's up my way and it's the 10 of May.

Kites would be a good test for the lens Stuart.

Yep kites would be good to test the lens out for sure. Looks like my sons football team will get first proper try out Saturday afternoon now!

Think I fancy one of these now. Was eying a tamron 150-600 for £550 but thinking this Nikon could be the one anyone done portraits at a distance with this

Be good see how long it is when extended and closed

Thanks.

It really is a tough call. Between the 2 lens really is

The Nikon seems the winner on there

But bearing in mind

Tamron 150-600 £550
Nikon 200-500 £1059

U.K.

Back