Nikon D5

It does not look that good, certainly not £2000's worth of improvement on the ISO over a D4s. If the autofocus does not bedazzle it looks like a bit of a fail ! (n)

Not that much over the D750 either, plus base ISO is supposedly low, although I guess this camera isn't used as a landscape camera.

Oh my that's a bad review. You expect niggle with one thing or another, but he had quite a list, with the most important thing being the AF.

Makes me a touch worried about the D500 I plan to get. AF was not an area I expected any big problems. If they have messed the AF as badly as that chap says, that could have a huge affect on Pro sales when people need to rely on the AF for their livelihoods. You can't buy with the idea that they will fix it later.

Anyone else thinking more about when is his monitor going to fall off the table, or why is he in football fan gear, or when is he going to clear up his 'studio' than what he's talking about? I can't take him seriously ... who is he?

He is a giant contradiction. Might be worth trusting reviews where people have spent a decent amount of time with the camera, rather than having a play in a shop.

He makes a strong statement saying the autofocus is slow. The ISO test appear to demonstrate that the D5 is not much of an improvement over the D4s.
Also where are the people who have bought this camera shouting from the roof tops how good it is,they are very quite ? maybe they are thinking of exercising their rights under the distance selling regs.LOL

Last edited:
I didn't pre-order but had every intention of buying one when available and subject to reviews.

I don't take anything the "angry photographer" says seriously, for someone who claims to be an amazing photographer I've yet to see a decent image from him. In the review of the X Pro 2 he said no-one should review something unless they own it and have spent a lot of time with it, yet here is reviewing the camera based on a quick play in the shop.

The dpreview article is a little more worrying.

Last edited:
I've seen links to that angry photographer moron polluting other forums too. Just youtube for clicks, don't trust and go elsewhere.

I've seen links to that angry photographer moron polluting other forums too. Just youtube for clicks, don't trust and go elsewhere.
The thing is he might just be being honest.Where is/are the person/people who have posted on here that they have had the D5 delivered days ago! If it has ultra fast focus and excellent high ISO why are they not here shouting it from the house tops? Likley they are licking their wounds in silence, that's how it's looking to me. It's certainly not looking good,that "angry photographer" guy has done an update and he is adamant about the slow auto focus,on a sports camera that is fatal !

Last edited:
Been resisting saying anything. But, I have to.
I received mine last Thursday. I hadn't had much chance to use it until this afternoon. All I will say is its great. Focus seems faster than my D4s. Works great on my 600mm.
I have learned over many years, that whenever there is a new lens or body released, people enjoy slating them. Without really being qualified to.

I remember so well, the pixie dust inside the Nikon 70-200mm. The world was ending!!!
As a friend of mine once said to me, Things always move forward. Very rarely do things go backwards. Manufacturers are in business to sell. They are not going to spend millions, in design and development to go backwards. I have owned the D3, D3s, D4 and D4s. All had improvements over each other. Sometimes, not massive. But still improvements. I always sell my old ones to the same person. He has yet to come back to me and say he wants his money back, because it's no better than he had.
So, if anyone who lives near me, would like to try the D5 themselves and form their own opinion, message me. I am happy to go out for a shoot with them. :)

Please don't take any of the above as me being arsey. I'm not. Honestly. Just wanted to put another perspective on it. :)

Hopefully, I will be able to get out soon and do some serious shooting, to explore it more in depth.

Kev.

Last edited:
The thing is he might just be being honest.Where is/are the person/people who have posted on here that they have had the D5 delivered days ago! If it has ultra fast focus and excellent high ISO why are they not here shouting it from the house tops? Likley they are licking their wounds in silence, that's how it's looking to me. It's certainly not looking good,that "angry photographer" guy has done an update and he is adamant about the slow auto focus,on a sports camera that is fatal !

May I ask, do you shoot Nikon?

If you do, I was going to offer to meet up and let you have a session with it. :)

Don't put temptation in my way. Just let the angry photographer put me off. I will stick with the D4s I think. :thinking: Thank you.

Don't put temptation in my way. Just let the angry photographer put me off. I will stick with the D4s I think. :thinking: Thank you.

Genuine offer. If you have the D4s, it wont actually cost too much to change. I got £3k for mine. That's why I tend to upgrade every time. It works out about £20 a week, over the 2 year period. :)

Kev.

I also hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slew of issues with any Nikon camera now.

I also hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slew of issues with any Nikon camera now.

Tends to not happen with the Pro cameras. Not sure they dare allow it to. :) But you can never say never!!!

When the d750 came out he said it was a "turd". Few months later he went and bought it and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

He said mirrorless was sh*t. Few months later goes and buys 4 Fuji cameras and all the lenses and is now the biggest Fuji fan boy out there.

I'd suggest waiting for real reviews rather than taking him seriously.

I see Nikon have bought out the big guns... I'm guessing we'll see Ross Harvey back on here soon to push a D5 review he's wrote like he did when the D750 came out... Then he'll next be back when the D760 comes out. :LOL:

I think the early hype and expectation have given way to a bit of dismay in many quarters ... would be good to see some good reviews with images from early adopters :)

Tbh I'm not going to buy any Nikon until it's been out for at least 6-12 months. Once bitten and all that.

My D5 is apparently out for delivery today. Regarding reviewing it... there's so much pessimism around here that I think it would be more relaxing to pull out all my own teeth! So whatever it's like, I think I'll leave the reviewing to people more eloquent, not to mention thick skinned, than I am! :)

My D5 is apparently out for delivery today. Regarding reviewing it... there's so much pessimism around here that I think it would be more relaxing to pull out all my own teeth! So whatever it's like, I think I'll leave the reviewing to people more eloquent, not to mention thick skinned, than I am! :)

I think you'll be fine mate. I've seen people who don't even own the D5 lambaste it, whilst exhorting the the quality of the D750 who have produced the most grotesque and over processed images in the whole history of photography !

Just enjoy your new camera, wish I was getting one today.. The problem with forums etc is people spend more time arguing over specs than taking photos. I'd actually be interested to know how you find using it in the real world.

Last edited:
I guess the photographic 'holy grail' is not to be found, however who will regularly use any camera at ISO 102,000?
For most people getting a clean image for sports/wildlife at around ISO 6400 will make them happy.

Back