Nikon D5

If you tend to need ISO 3200+ I think the D5 looks like a good choice...
Tbh I'm regularly shooting at 3200 and above more and more just with 'day to day' shooting as I'll shoot whatever the weather, so am glad I have something that can handle high ISO well.

Its not necesarily about using the most extreme, or anywhere close to the highest ISO all the time, but as I regularly am forced to use 1250--->6400 then the results from the D5 are going to be significantly better than my current set up with the D3.

I would be content with some of the sub ISO 102,000 shots shown so far.

It all depends on your need and that of your clients.

My issue w/ the D5 is that if you use ISO's below ~ 3200 you have to be very careful, and even at that the results could be notably worse than with most other Nikons. The D5 really is a high ISO/low light tool, and quite possibly best used in jpeg mode with the optimized/built-in noise reduction algorithms.
I do sometimes need ISO up around 3200-6400, but the D4 does pretty well there by comparison. Maybe if I could keep shooting instead of quitting above 6400, or if the AF is amazing, then I'll probably get one...

noise comparison
dynamic range comparison

I've spent half the day setting it up and configuring the controls and am still smiling!

On the plus side, the camera hasn't exploded or murdered my kids (which I think some people were expecting!). There are some really nice (and genuinely useful) new features in the menus and the handling, to my hands at least, is significantly improved... in fact, I think it's great... I'm particularly loving the three front buttons, they just seem to fall to my fingers so much better than the two on the D4S.

Image output looks great, although I haven't compared the pixels in D5 & D4S images side by side... life really is too short!

The only thing that really bothers me so far is that the handing has split even further from the D810 so switching between the two will be more problematic for a numpty like me who needs the familiarity of intuitively knowing where all the controls lie... I guess I'll be shooting more and more with the D5 and only getting out the D810 when I really need to... In the meantime I'll be praying to the Japanese gods for a D5X!

A full day commercial shoot at a security company in the coming week should be a fairly safe first outing for it... Not as exciting a test as F1 or polar bears charging towards you... but as a workhorse for simple bread and butter commercial work I'm pretty sure the D5 will ace it!

I've spent half the day setting it up and configuring the controls and am still smiling!

On the plus side, the camera hasn't exploded or murdered my kids (which I think some people were expecting!). There are some really nice (and genuinely useful) new features in the menus and the handling, to my hands at least, is significantly improved... in fact, I think it's great... I'm particularly loving the three front buttons, they just seem to fall to my fingers so much better than the two on the D4S.

Image output looks great, although I haven't compared the pixels in D5 & D4S images side by side... life really is too short!

The only thing that really bothers me so far is that the handing has split even further from the D810 so switching between the two will be more problematic for a numpty like me who needs the familiarity of intuitively knowing where all the controls lie... I guess I'll be shooting more and more with the D5 and only getting out the D810 when I really need to... In the meantime I'll be praying to the Japanese gods for a D5X!

A full day commercial shoot at a security company in the coming week should be a fairly safe first outing for it... Not as exciting a test as F1 or polar bears charging towards you... but as a workhorse for simple bread and butter commercial work I'm pretty sure the D5 will ace it!

Enjoy it Keith. I am thoroughly enjoying mine. :)

We need Polar Bears!

If early reviews and reports are to be believed, then the dynamic range decrease at low ISO / low ISO image quality compared to previous nikon models is quite frankly shocking for a flagship camera of this price. I honestly can't believe Nikon have released the D5 in this state...

If early reviews and reports are to be believed, then the dynamic range decrease at low ISO / low ISO image quality compared to previous nikon models is quite frankly shocking for a flagship camera of this price. I honestly can't believe Nikon have released the D5 in this state...

I know!!! It's in a terrible state!!! Dreadful.
Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones. Mine seems ok. :rolleyes:

But then again, I don't go pixel peeping into the shadows.

;):)

Sorry. It's all getting a bit silly now. All meant in good humour.

I know!!! It's in a terrible state!!! Dreadful.
Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones. Mine seems ok. :rolleyes:

But then again, I don't go pixel peeping into the shadows.

;):)

Sorry. It's all getting a bit silly now. All meant in good humour.

Blimey, what are the chances of that, Kev.... us two getting the only ones which aren't broken!

I have to confess that even I'm starting to get a little paranoid myself now... I've even been out shooting identical scenes side by side with the D5 and D4S and I'll be buggered if I can tell the difference between them! :)

Blimey, what are the chances of that, Kev.... us two getting the only ones which aren't broken!

I have to confess that even I'm starting to get a little paranoid myself now... I've even been out shooting identical scenes side by side with the D5 and D4S and I'll be buggered if I can tell the difference between them! :)

I am enjoying mine Keith. I have tried so hard to pick fault with it. Take a trip over to DP review. Lots on there to depress yourself with. :LOL:
It amazes me how much effort some people will put into trying to find problems. Life is so short!!!

I have even now resorted to checking someone's profile, to see if they shoot Canon or Nikon. Just to see if they are being serious. Oh dear I need to stop visiting these pages. :runaway:

I think the issue for me is not so much that the D5 has poor dynamic range, at the end of the day most modern cameras are more than good enough for 99% of people, with the D5 being no exception. It's just the idea that the flagship isn't as good in certain areas as so called lesser cameras. For me expensive flagships should be the best in every area, in my own little idealistic world ;) Luckily I can't afford such beasts so don't have to worry about it :LOL:

I think the issue for me is not so much that the D5 has poor dynamic range, at the end of the day most modern cameras are more than good enough for 99% of people, with the D5 being no exception. It's just the idea that the flagship isn't as good in certain areas as so called lesser cameras. For me expensive flagships should be the best in every area, in my own little idealistic world ;) Luckily I can't afford such beasts so don't have to worry about it :LOL:

I do rather suspect that quite a few of the sooth sayers are in the same camp....they cant afford them. No camera has ever been the best in every area for every photographer.....just not realistic.

Last edited:
I do rather suspect that quite a few of the sooth sayers are in the same camp....they cant afford them. No camera has ever been the best in every area for every photographer.....just not realistic.
I know, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek :p I was surprised by the DR score when I first saw it though, was quite a bit lower than I was expecting, and even lower than Canon :eek: ;) BUT I'm sure the graph I saw said that the scores were taken from DXO yet if you go onto DXO there haven't assessed it yet so I'm not sure how accurate these early DR scores are tbh :confused:

honestly this page seems to show it all:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/9402203921/nikon-d5-shows-drop-in-dynamic-range

the D5 has none of that wonderful RAW exposure latitude we've come to associate with Nikon over the years. Look at the comparison with the d750. I know IDEALLY we don't want to be pushing shadows so much and the vast majority of the time we won't be. However, there are many occasions where the stellar RAW shadow pushing ability of nikon's such as the 750 or 810 (both of which i use) comes in very handy.

unless further tests show otherwise, though i have no reason to doubt the dp review findings, I''ll reiterate this and will stand by it: it's a joke that Nikon has made such backward strides in terms of low ISO raw performance, especially as it's something that canon users have been envious of for so long. Just look how many people swapped to nikon for the 750 and 810 ... there's posts all over the internet by such people. And they did that, in many many cases, due to reviews showing how amazing the dynamic range is. Nikon obviously is aware of this, so to cripple what is arguably a massive factor in the purchasing process mindset of people buying the D5 seems bizarre.

Having said that, I do also realise that huge numbers of people buy the d5 for sports - wherein RAW latitude is not so important. Either way, I'd be very interested to see D5 sales figures compared to D4 figures (after the D4 was released) after a couple of months.

I'm looking forward to getting a D5. It'll be a couple of months yet I think. The thing that I'm most interest in is how it performs at 12,800 ISO. Having tried a D5 recently I thought the 12,800 ISO looked fab and improved over the D4s.

Kev, any thoughts on the ISO performance over the D4s?

honestly this page seems to show it all:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/9402203921/nikon-d5-shows-drop-in-dynamic-range

the D5 has none of that wonderful RAW exposure latitude we've come to associate with Nikon over the years. Look at the comparison with the d750. I know IDEALLY we don't want to be pushing shadows so much and the vast majority of the time we won't be. However, there are many occasions where the stellar RAW shadow pushing ability of nikon's such as the 750 or 810 (both of which i use) comes in very handy.

unless further tests show otherwise, though i have no reason to doubt the dp review findings, I''ll reiterate this and will stand by it: it's a joke that Nikon has made such backward strides in terms of low ISO raw performance, especially as it's something that canon users have been envious of for so long. Just look how many people swapped to nikon for the 750 and 810 ... there's posts all over the internet by such people. And they did that, in many many cases, due to reviews showing how amazing the dynamic range is. Nikon obviously is aware of this, so to cripple what is arguably a massive factor in the purchasing process mindset of people buying the D5 seems bizarre.

Having said that, I do also realise that huge numbers of people buy the d5 for sports - wherein RAW latitude is not so important. Either way, I'd be very interested to see D5 sales figures compared to D4 figures (after the D4 was released) after a couple of months.
I'm with you on the DR thing TBH, I can't get my head around a flagship being so below par. I understand it's for sports, but still.

However, I'm sure Nikon are fully aware of the dynamic range 'war' between manufacturers as well as consumers, but did not feel that the D5 needed it and were willing to compromise. I'd love to know how/why they came to this decision though, or more why they needed to make such a sacrifice? Was it to get the fps up, or buffer so high?

It seems as though the D5 is kind of a one trick pony, like the 5DSR, but maybe this is what people want/need? I guess people won't shoot landscapes with these.

Shame manufacturers never come out and explain such things, I guess they have fun reading all the online guesswork and arguments :LOL:

I'm with you on the DR thing TBH, I can't get my head around a flagship being so below par. I understand it's for sports, but still.

However, I'm sure Nikon are fully aware of the dynamic range 'war' between manufacturers as well as consumers, but did not feel that the D5 needed it and were willing to compromise. I'd love to know how/why they came to this decision though, or more why they needed to make such a sacrifice? Was it to get the fps up, or buffer so high?

It seems as though the D5 is kind of a one trick pony, like the 5DSR, but maybe this is what people want/need? I guess people won't shoot landscapes with these.

Shame manufacturers never come out and explain such things, I guess they have fun reading all the online guesswork and arguments :LOL:

Think Ill give it a miss :LOL:

People will always find something to moan about. Dynamic range blah blah blah.

I'm still happily using a D3/D700 and 2 D800s

Tbh I could live with just the D700 and D3

Reactions: BBR
I'm not sure how reliable this guy is but his comments do make me wonder if I might skip the D5. I've only ever owned the D3s and D4s so maybe I should wait for the D5s :)

The guy is an idiot, he may have lots of cameras but try and find a good image he's taken with one of them, and not just one he's claimed to have taken. I'd wait for an actual photographers review based on the real world.

People will always find something to moan about. Dynamic range blah blah blah.

I'm still happily using a D3/D700 and 2 D800s

Tbh I could live with just the D700 and D3
This is the thing, and it depends on how you're viewing it tbh. The D5 is a camera I can't and doubt will ever be able to afford so it doesn't really matter to me what the performance is like. And as you've pointed out you're still happy using the D3 and D700, and why not they're cracking cameras, as I'm sure the D5 is, and yes we get pickier and pickier every time new tech comes out ;)

The reason I'm 'disappointed' in the D5, like some other people, is because it's their flagship costing £5k and should be at the top of the tree. There are those that just like to bash things for the sake of it, or because they're jealous etc but then there's folk like myself that are surprised that such an expensive flagship camera appears to be, from initial reviews, below par in key areas for some people.

This is the thing, and it depends on how you're viewing it tbh. The D5 is a camera I can't and doubt will ever be able to afford so it doesn't really matter to me what the performance is like. And as you've pointed out you're still happy using the D3 and D700, and why not they're cracking cameras, as I'm sure the D5 is, and yes we get pickier and pickier every time new tech comes out ;)

The reason I'm 'disappointed' in the D5, like some other people, is because it's their flagship costing £5k and should be at the top of the tree. There are those that just like to bash things for the sake of it, or because they're jealous etc but then there's folk like myself that are surprised that such an expensive flagship camera appears to be, from initial reviews, below par in key areas for some people.

Yup, It really should be better. Who needs ISO 3m when its that poor. Couldve stuck to 100k and had decent DR. Wonder if theyve used a Sony sensor, doesnt look like it.

So many D5 experts, so few D5 owners

I don't think anyone is professing to be an expert. In fact (from a personal POV), I'm crying out for some expert analysis. The guy in the video above doesn't come across as a credible witness for me and the DP review only really touches on DR and low ISO.

I don't think anyone is professing to be an expert. In fact (from a personal POV), I'm crying out for some expert analysis. The guy in the video above doesn't come across as a credible witness for me and the DP review only really touches on DR and low ISO.
Im thinking more the TP experts as opposed to the online Ken Rockwell style bloggers

Im thinking more the TP experts as opposed to the online Ken Rockwell style bloggers
No-one from I can see is professing to be an expert, people are just commenting on analysis and reports, what's wrong with that? We've all ooh'd and ahh'd over the impressive fps and buffer, but likewise if something turns out to be less impressive can't we comment on that also? Of course, if other studies come out that show that the DR is actually better than the initial reports we add further, more positive comments.

Wow. 3280000 ISO. That's not a camera its night vision.
Maybe not ;)

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%2017.09.36_zps1r9l8ark.png

Back