Nikon D5

I'm looking forward to getting a D5. It'll be a couple of months yet I think. The thing that I'm most interest in is how it performs at 12,800 ISO. Having tried a D5 recently I thought the 12,800 ISO looked fab and improved over the D4s.

Kev, any thoughts on the ISO performance over the D4s?

Hi Ryan. Hope you are keeping well mate. iso 12,800 is cleaner than it was on my D4s. I know you are always busy, but if you ever want to meet up and have a play with the D5, let me know. ;)

I actually thought all of this would have died a death by now, but it keeps going. :rolleyes: My offer stands. Anyone on here that wants to see for themselves, I will meet up and happily let you have a go. I will bring my laptop and we can have a look at them somewhere.

Other than that, it's all getting a bit boring now.

I haven't yet seen anything that makes me regret changing.

No-one from I can see is professing to be an expert, people are just commenting on analysis and reports, what's wrong with that? We've all ooh'd and ahh'd over the impressive fps and buffer, but likewise if something turns out to be less impressive can't we comment on that also? Of course, if other studies come out that show that the DR is actually better than the initial reports we add further, more positive comments.

I hear what you are saying. But people can analyse until they are blue in the face. Some have!! But bottom line is, will it do it's job? Will the pro's produce what they need to produce. Without looking at graphs and charts.
I say yes. I suspect very few will need to go + 5 stops in the shadows to produce a good shot. I am old fashioned. I take no notice of charts or graphs. I look at images that are properly exposed.

Offer is there, for the taking. A chance to see for yourselves, instead of hearsay. Other than that, I have no more to say. :)

Reactions: dkh
I hear what you are saying. But people can analyse until they are blue in the face. Some have!! But bottom line is, will it do it's job? Will the pro's produce what they need to produce. Without looking at graphs and charts.
I say yes. I suspect very few will need to go + 5 stops in the shadows to produce a good shot. I am old fashioned. I take no notice of charts or graphs. I look at images that are properly exposed.

Offer is there, for the taking. A chance to see for yourselves, instead of hearsay. Other than that, I have no more to say. :)
No I completely agree, and have said it'll be great for it's purpose. I do look at charts, up to a point but it's real world shooting that I'm interested in as they tell me far more. As I said, it's just my expectations of a flagship ;)

Yup, It really should be better. Who needs ISO 3m when its that poor. Couldve stuck to 100k and had decent DR. Wonder if theyve used a Sony sensor, doesnt look like it.
'IF' that's the case then I hope that this isn't the future of Nikon cameras, as you know DR is important to me. That being said, I guess tech will evolve and sensors as we know it will change, we'll be shooting at ISO 128000 noise free and with 20ev DR :LOL:

I could come up to Lincoln sometime. I love the city. Be good to have a beer and talk cameras :)

Sorry for the delay mate. Only just got in.
That would be good! I am usually free most Fridays. Don't know what you schedule is like?

Kev.

That's actually pretty uninspiring IMO...
Recorded jpegs w/ jpeg processing and noise reduction, post sharpening and additional noise reduction. Yet the ISO 12,800 images still show quite a bit of noise and a lot of softening from all of the noise reduction (or the AF/lens has issues). They look fine at 800px, but not at full size. (and the 25,600 images are even worse as one would expect).

Screen-Shot-2016-04-08-at-6.26.47-PM.jpg

Last edited:
Yer AF sounds to make it too easy.o_O

from http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=2776

"One of the under hyped features is the 3D autofocus tracking with facial recognition. I found this to be really impressive. I shot an entire Lakers game with this feature and my focus percentage was better than my usual while using 9 points or 21 points on a D4s"

I'm not bothered about high ISO or recovering from 5 stops of under exposure (theres really no excuse)!

The AF sounds like an improvement, though I never really had a major issue with it before but my pair of D3s's are now 4/5 years old and due an upgrade, I missed the D4 series as it just didn't make financial sense, so phoned my local dealer to order, but hadn't reckoned on the, "sorry none in stock, and Nikon not giving much information when they'll be available, you'll just have to put your name down" Ba*****ds!!!

Always the case when it's the Olympics. The sports pros seem to get them. I had the same problem once. I bought it from America in the end. Saved lots!
Suppose we should plan better :)

I ordered in January. They did ask for my NPS number.
Arrived the day after launch.

I'm not bothered about high ISO or recovering from 5 stops of under exposure (theres really no excuse)!

The AF sounds like an improvement, though I never really had a major issue with it before but my pair of D3s's are now 4/5 years old and due an upgrade,
I'm not concerned with the 5 stops... I have a D810 for that if desired.
I am concerned with the AF... what I like to (attempt to) shoot is very demanding... BIF's is more like trying to photograph the ball after it's been hit/kicked... and little birds like swifts can be like trying to photograph a golfball off the tee (downright miserable).

And I'm also concerned with the ISO performance, but less so... unfortunately weather/animals seldom cooperate. I'd be moving from the D4... I seem to skip the intermediate ones.

I ordered a D5 on Sunday. I assume I need to upgrade to version 6 of Lightroom (I have 5.7) to process the raw files. Can it be bought on an upgrade disc, I've tried Wex but they don't have it.
Cheers Keith

I ordered a D5 on Sunday. I assume I need to upgrade to version 6 of Lightroom (I have 5.7) to process the raw files. Can it be bought on an upgrade disc, I've tried Wex but they don't have it.
Cheers Keith

Depends on wether LR even supports it yet, youll need to check their release notes.

Flashman said in an earlier post that a lightroom update has support for the D5 and D500. I'm just guessing he's talking about lightroom 6. In the past I've always bought a disc with the upgrade on for the stand alone version rather than download it.

Flashman said in an earlier post that a lightroom update has support for the D5 and D500. I'm just guessing he's talking about lightroom 6. In the past I've always bought a disc with the upgrade on for the stand alone version rather than download it.

At the rate Adobe updates these days CC sub consideration is probably worth it. I cant see any upgrade version either, just looks like the standalone version for £105.

Last edited:
I had this problem when I got mine. I had to subscribe to Adobe CC and dowloaded LR and Photoshop CC.
It's good value at about £9 a month.

Just a thought. I'm not very techy, how easy is it to get it on two computers. Can it be downloaded twice because I want it on my laptop as well.

Just a thought. I'm not very techy, how easy is it to get it on two computers. Can it be downloaded twice because I want it on my laptop as well.

Yes, I use my license on 2 machines, I think you are allowed to use it on a desktop and a laptop. Best to check though as Im on the full CC collection.

That's a very interesting review, makes me happier with my D810 & D7200 ... but what will I think after the D500 review! :thinking:
The same. A D500 is just going to be a D7200 with 4mp less! but takes pics at 4 frames faster.You can't beat having more mp.

The same. A D500 is just going to be a D7200 with 4mp less! but takes pics at 4 frames faster.You can't beat having more mp.
If the AF is as significantly better as the review says the D5 AF is then it could well be a wildlife changer.

Back