Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Also, does anyone else find that their image when viewed on the camera looks ok exposure wise but then turns out to be a bit dark when you view it on the computer (shooting RAW).

Active D lighting switched on and viewing in LR (which can't read the Nikon adjustments)?

Also, does anyone else find that their image when viewed on the camera looks ok exposure wise but then turns out to be a bit dark when you view it on the computer (shooting RAW).
Maybe camera screen brightness turned up to +5? How does the histogram look?

Active D lighting switched on and viewing in LR (which can't read the Nikon adjustments)?

Active D lighting is on medium I think. I user aperture. Does everyone advise against using active D lighting?

Maybe camera screen brightness turned up to +5? How does the histogram look?

Brightness turned down to the lowest.

I think I may need to learn how to read a histogram.

Active D lighting works well for JPG but might as well not bother for RAW. Basically underexposes the RAW and boosts shadows in software. The adjustments can be read by Nikon software but not by 3rd party usually, certainly for Lightroom so I suspect Aperture is the same?

Basically the left is dark and the right is bright, the graph in the middle (on a nicely exposed file) should show a nice peak between the two. If on your dark file, there is a massive gap between the end of the 'graph' and the right end of the histogram then that could explain the dark file.

If you do and shoot raw, make sure your jpeg settings are on neutral - the histogram uses the embedded jpg to generate from and any picture controls set will affect how that is represented. Also consider switching blinkies on, but again, picture control is best set to neutral imo/e.

If you do and shoot raw, make sure your jpeg settings are on neutral - the histogram uses the embedded jpg to generate from and any picture controls set will affect how that is represented. Also consider switching blinkies on, but again, picture control is best set to neutral imo/e.

Blinkies? Is it best to set all jpeg settings to neutral or 0?

Blinkies are when you blow a channel/s it flashes on the review lcd. Menu/Playback Menu/Playback Display Options/Additional photo info and highlights check that option, then select Done at the top and it will show blinking blown highlights, i.e. blinkies. :)

Set the picture control to default neutral and you should be fine, works well enough for me, oh and I have active d lighting off too.

Hi Guys, Nikon have received my camera now. I'm thinking of sending John Walshe an email because I'm sure someone on this thread did a similar thing. I can't remember what was sent to him though. This is the second time I have sent it in. Shall I inform him of my dissapointment with having keep sending it in for repair?

Hi Guys, Nikon have received my camera now. I'm thinking of sending John Walshe an email because I'm sure someone on this thread did a similar thing. I can't remember what was sent to him though. This is the second time I have sent it in. Shall I inform him of my dissapointment with having keep sending it in for repair?

That's exactly what I did and received a new d610 :)

That's exactly what I did and received a new d610 :)

Here's more or less what I sent via e-mail:

"Hi John,
I have recently sent my Nikon D600 in for repair for a second time under warranty. It’s due to the faulty shutter mechanism I no doubt know you are aware of. I just felt I would express my disappointment at Nikon for having made such a brilliant camera but fitting a faulty shutter mechanism on it. This is the second time I’ve had to send it in and I’ve only shot 2000-3000 shots in that 6 month period. I’m just worried I will have to send it back in and be without my camera yet again. The Nikon repair service is brilliant, don’t get me wrong, they have kept me up to date and the customer service on the phone as been very good. It’s just disappointing from a customer perspective that I may have to keep sending it back to have it repaired. "

Hopefully I might be lucky and get it replaced with a D610.

Think you should have directly asked for a D610. But hopefully, what you have emailled, will be sufficent.

Yes with advice from this forum I sent a letter and telephoned saying I was a pro-photographer and needed the camera for work etc and I got the 610. I then added a Nikon total cover warranty for as long as needed just in case

Last edited:
I report on how I get on. I didn't want to sound cheeky in my e-mail. So how does everyone get on with the D610? Does it produce the oil spots like the D600? One thing I was always confused about is that I read the D600 was given a D610 shutter when sent in for warranty but it still produces the oil spots.

18592823753_d7214da0ec_b.jpg

I still need to get used to this manual focus business. Took this on my D600 earlier this month with my Tokina 28mm RMC lens.

Hi all

I'm hoping you can help. I've a D610 and nikon 24-70. I recently changed to back button focusing. It works for one shot but not always the next. The only way I can get it working is to focus somewhere else completely or switch it off and on again.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Hi all

I'm hoping you can help. I've a D610 and nikon 24-70. I recently changed to back button focusing. It works for one shot but not always the next. The only way I can get it working is to focus somewhere else completely or switch it off and on again.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Perhaps you have the focus mode set to af-s? When using back button focusing you should have it set to af-c and keep it there. There will be no need, to set to af-s, as the back button focusing will allow you to use whichever you want, i.e. do not press, once focus locked, for single focus or continue to press to enable continuous focus.

Hi Johnny, yes I'm set to af-s. I didn't know about af-c. Fingers crossed that's it. Thank you!

Perhaps you have the focus mode set to af-s? When using back button focusing you should have it set to af-c and keep it there. There will be no need, to set to af-s, as the back button focusing will allow you to use whichever you want, i.e. do not press, once focus locked, for single focus or continue to press to enable continuous focus.
Hi Johnny tried AF-C and its still doing it. Any other thoughts? TU!

Had a phone call this morning, they are replacing my D600 with a D610! How are people getting on with their D610s? I'm a bit excited to say the least!

Had a phone call this morning, they are replacing my D600 with a D610! How are people getting on with their D610s? I'm a bit excited to say the least!

Happy days :banana:

No problems with my D610, apart from the fact, I can't get the time to use it :rolleyes:

It is probably just in my mind but I am sure my 610 is better focusing in low light than the 600..... I know they are basically the same camera but that's how it seemed to me

Unbelievable price now at Panamoz. I have so many things going on in my head... :LOL:

The D750 is now less than a grand. Just thought I'd mentioned it, to get your head spinning faster:D

Thing is, i don't need a D750. I never really struggled with my D7k for what shot (motorsport and kids) so I'm guessing the D610 would serve me well.

Probably won't happen but it's nice to have lots of plans in place. :D

Thing is, i don't need a D750. I never really struggled with my D7k for what shot (motorsport and kids) so I'm guessing the D610 would serve me well.

Probably won't happen but it's nice to have lots of plans in place. :D

Yeah true my plan is for a Nissan GT for my company car :)

Thanks Graham.

Here's a couple of casual portraits I took of my daughter indoors in natural light with the 24-85 VR kit lens. I was cleaning my D610 for a trip abroad. I saw her playing and asked her to pose.
Toddlers are always difficult to shoot as they move quickly. I should have used a faster shutter speed, but for casual shots, I am happy with what I got with the kit lens. Usually I would use the 85 f1.8G. Both shots are cropped further.
Ashmita by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr
Ashmita by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

Just an update. I received my D610 a few days ago :banana:

Quick question though. Do I need to call them to register it for the warranty?

I just had my broken D600 replaced by a D610 and now need a new good value prime lens. Is the 50mm f1.8g up for the job on full frame?

On another note I could have paid the extra towards a D750 but just couldn't justify in my head the cost. I have had absolutely no issues with the image quality or focussing abilities of the D600/D610 and although the grip is better on the D750, for me, the money would be better spent on glass.

Back