Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Really considering a D600/610 now the prices are very reasonable
For the images you can produce from the D610 it is almost a no brainer. I was never disappointed with the IQ. The AF gets a bit of stick (unfairly imo, just need to learn how o use it ;)). Exceptional VFM imo.

For the images you can produce from the D610 it is almost a no brainer. I was never disappointed with the IQ. The AF gets a bit of stick (unfairly imo, just need to learn how o use it ;)). Exceptional VFM imo.
What he said !

I'd agree except for the AF, which I've found very hit & miss with a moving object (like a person) in low light with a 50mm f1.8 - manual focussing using the indicator spot is more reliable. But image quality is great.

I have one alongside a D750 and it's no slouch, never really had an issue with the AF and in most conditions there's no difference in IQ between the two.

I have one alongside a D750 and it's no slouch, never really had an issue with the AF and in most conditions there's no difference in IQ between the two.
It doesn't seem an issue, I was going to get another d7100, it's funny tried mirrorless but always seem to come back to Dslr, I certainly don't need FF but when the prices are so reasonable it's seems a no brainer not to give it a try.

One from a wedding a few months ago..

31336396183_bced152df1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I just thought i'd post a pic or two to see if you like them.

33057656514_6e51bfb602_k.jpg

33057662154_7135404948_k.jpg

Has anyone got a Xt1? I prefer the nikon lens selection, yet the smaller size and fuji lenses also excellent, also heard some say it focuses better in low light? Wish I could try one but too far from anywhere, is there any great difference in iq?
. Still very undecided, still edging ff though

Last edited:
looking at buying a d610 question is how do you rate the image quality from the camera
what is focus speed like for birds in flight ?
anything else you like or dislike

Thanks Holty - there's a thread full of those shots somewhere.

Image quality is great as long as the optics are good. I'm happy to use up to 3200 ISO outside and 6400 for indoor work like the above. Focusing seems unimpressive compared to a Sony SLT using a centre spot, with the camera struggling to focus in low light (say 1/90 f2 @ 6400ISO). All my lenses are older screw-drive types or manual focus, and I've no idea how it would cope with fast action focusing.

I like: Reasonable weigh for FX, nice to hold, 2 control wheels, AF defeat lever is easy to reach, great sensor performance, AF assist is handy.

I don't like: lens mount inferior to Sony/Minolta A (hard to line lens up right, easy to miss) spot metering seems to use the central 10% rather than 1%, single focus spot occupies too large an area, menus aren't great, doesn't feel better made than my entry-level Sony A58, sensor picks up dust very quickly, fixed rear screen is stupid, live view is awkward.

It's capable of producing great images and the sensor is excellent, but it's not a camera I would buy if I wanted to rely on the camera to take great pictures in difficult conditions.

Love my D600. Admittedly if there was an affordable full frame alternative with full AF through a tilty screen (and configurable Auto ISO) I'd move in a heartbeat, but as it is the D600 is ticking enough boxes to make it a keeper.

Dean Forest Railway by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Dean Forest Railway by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Have been using my 610 these last few weeks. The two bits that annoy, having used the 750 more lately, are the lack of zoom to 100% facility and not being able to scroll 10 images with the sub-command dial, why didn't they just add a quick update include? Kind of feel that Nikon aren't really interested in providing extra features following launch.

May as well post a pic of my parents new pup..

35026701363_5cd446e828_b.jpg

Haven't picked up a camera for two weeks and following a long week at work I had to grab one and go to the park tonight with the little lady.

36345955666_a6fd45102f_b.jpg
Lovely pics.

I'm struggling a little with the af module. Having taken a very similar pic(s) using af-c and back button focusing I've started to struggle a bit with the focusing.

How do you set your camera up for these type of shots?

Lovely pics.

I'm struggling a little with the af module. Having taken a very similar pic(s) using af-c and back button focusing I've started to struggle a bit with the focusing.

How do you set your camera up for these type of shots?

Not too dissimilar Mark. I use AF-C D9 with BBF. The point with this kind of thing is using the nearest focus point and lock focus at the top of the swing. Don't go chasing the eye each swing and focussing each time, hit focus at the top of the swing and take the a shot or two with each swing. Sure, there's some missed shots but not too bad a hit rate overall. She's only 20 months old and so there's no big swings at the moment, just nice and gentle. Once focussed and got the camera pointing in the right direction, I usually take my eye away from the VF to try get her to laugh/smile, definitely a good tip for helping to engage and improve expressions.

Last edited:
Not too dissimilar Mark. I use AF-C D9 with BBF. The point with this kind of thing is using the nearest focus point and lock focus at the top of the swing. Don't go chasing the eye each swing and focussing each time, hit focus at the top of the swing and take the a shot or two with each swing. Sure, there's some missed shots but not too bad a hit rate overall. She's only 20 months old and so there's no big swings at the moment, just nice and gentle. Once focussed and got the camera pointing in the right direction, I usually take my eye away from the VF to try get her to laugh/smile, definitely a good tip for helping to engage and improve expressions.
Thank you. Yes will try on the top or bottom of each swing. 24 months here so similar swing height!

Thank you. Yes will try on the top or bottom of each swing. 24 months here so similar swing height!

See how you get on and post up your results. When chasing kids, there's always the odd occasion when the best picture has slightly missed focus, bloody annoying but should make you try harder.

See how you get on and post up your results. When chasing kids, there's always the odd occasion when the best picture has slightly missed focus, bloody annoying but should make you try harder.
I've got plenty of good ones that just aren't critically sharp and then lots of sharp ones where he's looking away or disgruntled!!! That's life! I am using all 39 af points and not convinced that some are as good as others. Do you just use the cross hair af points or do you use the points grouped?

Last edited:
I've got plenty of good ones that just aren't critically sharp and then lots of sharp ones where he's looking away or disgruntled!!! That's life! I am using all 39 af points and not convinced that some are as good as others. Do you just use the cross hair af points or do you use the points grouped?

Being honest, the one I've posted is ever so slightly off the mark, but it's so slight and the expression was better than the rest, so that's trumped it for me.

I don't use all points on the 610 or 750, reduce to 11 on both cams. Utilises the most sensitive and I find it quicker in the field for people than scrolling around lots of points. I generally visualise the composition as I'm walking up to the shot, centre the AF point and click where I want it (top point here) before raising the camera to the eye. It's all about speed for people. Shoot in aperture and use easy exposure compensation. I knew that with such a dark background and strong sunlight I'd have that at -1.3.

The last point is ensuring you have your shutter high enough. Mines set on auto ISO with a minimum of 1/250. It's setup on my favourites tab so can quickly up that if needs be, but was around 1/1000 for these and in good light I knew it would be high shooting at f2.2. Everything's set up for speed/ease of use. I don't worry about faffing with camera settings, just concentrate on getting the expression/shot. Hope this helps.

Oh, and yes, I use D9 instead of one single AF point. Only use a single point for sitting people in a studio, but even then I probably forget.

The last point is ensuring you have your shutter high enough. Mines set on auto ISO with a minimum of 1/250. It's setup on my favourites tab so can quickly up that if needs be, but was around 1/1000 for these and in good light I knew it would be high shooting at f2.2. Everything's set up for speed/ease of use. I don't worry about faffing with camera settings, just concentrate on getting the expression/shot. Hope this helps.

Top advice, and will probably make the most difference to your shots @Brazo

Just switched to D9 from D39 after having read up the differences. Hopefully that will help a little too.

Out of interest, was your shutter high enough? 1/500 or above?

That and using the cross-type points to pre-focus should do it. Do you need all 39 points visible?

No shutter speed was about 1/200s.

I have today set the af system to the 11 cross points only and D9 rather than D39. So we'll see where that gets me today.

Got my 50 1.8G af tuned at -18 and it's pretty impressive wide open. My last 50 which I sent back needed -25. Which obviously isn't possible.

No shutter speed was about 1/200s.

I have today set the af system to the 11 cross points only and D9 rather than D39. So we'll see where that gets me today.

Got my 50 1.8G af tuned at -18 and it's pretty impressive wide open. My last 50 which I sent back needed -25. Which obviously isn't possible.

Good weather later on today for it! Ours just fell off the chair, really did concern us but kids will be kids,

^^Hope the little ones all recovered!

Did get to practice a bit more yesterday and I feel the 11 cross points do give a more accurate focus. I did get better results yesterday although was using the 24-120 F4 so had a bit more depth of field so focus didn't have to be as accurate. Got some nice shots on the merry go round:)

Back