Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Well I picked up my D600 yesterday to replace my D7000.
Will actually be quite sad to see the D7000 go as its been a great camera which reignited my interest in photography but ultimately for what I shoot full frame will be a better bet.

Will be using it with my collection of primes, currently a Nikon 20 f2.8D, Nikon 24 f2.8D and a Nikon 50 f1.8G lens but I'm looking to add an 85mm f1.8 (D or G) and I was considering a 35mm but might opt for the 28mm as it seems to be highly rated.

If you consider a 35mm, have a look at the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. It should also be purchased in a shop as I've read that some samples may need to go to service first before they are properly adjusted, but when it works, it is a blazingly good lens.

Also interesting with this lens is the Sigma USB dock which allows you to adjust your lens yourself at your computer.

And keep us updated if you see any oil spots. I'm still waiting to send my D600 in for service until I see that the issue seems to really have been fixed.

Is anyone using the Nikon 85mm f1.8 D lens?
I've had the G before and it was sharp but didn't like it on DX, now I've got a D600 I'm looking to pickup another 85mm but was looking at the D as its cheaper!

Considered the sigma 1.4 version? Its extremely sharp and a highly regarded lens. Bit more expensive but a bargain second hand if you can find one.

according to DxoMark, g version is the second sharpest lens you can get on the d600. :cool:

I am in the process of update all my lens to FX. already put 35Dx , 18-200dx on sale. really wanted the sigma 35mm F1.4 but put off by the price. Has any body used the new 18-35 ? I may get that and the samyang 85 F1.4 instead...

Last edited:
Yeah the G looks a better option, I've got a Nikon 20mm f2.8D, 24mm f2.8D and the 50 f1.8G at present but will probably just pickup another 85mm f1.8G to give me some extra length, should be a good light travel kit for Italy next month.

I was considering a Nikon 35mm f2 but seeing mixed reviews on the lens, and with having the 24mm just now its probably a range I'd prefer to replicate with the Sigma 35 f1.4 once I've saved up!

How was the 24 like on your D600? For some reason mine always under expose. and the picture come out are not very sharp. :shake:

I've not had much chance to shoot with my D600 yet but it seems good to me, was a cracker of a lens on my D7000 as well.

I've ordered a Sigma 35 f1.4 to try, I suspect it'll get sent back for now but I can see it potentially being a good purchase and potential replacement for my 24mm but wouldn't want to take it to Italy in a few weeks (as its too big) so will see what I think and probably make a permanant purchase once I'm back,

Well I've been lucky enough to have a Nikon 35mm f2, Nikon 85mm f1.8 and the Sigma 1.4 35mm lens to play with for the weekend.

I've been looking to sort out my Full Frame lens kit and I've decided to sell off the 20mm and 50mm I already have which will leave me with my 24mm f2.8D only.

The 85mm will stay as I want something a bit longer for travel but the 35mm decision is a hard one!

The Sigma is priced at £650, the Nikon £260, initial impressions were that the Sigma is much much bigger (which it is) but feels very nice on the D600, Nikon lens is just like my other D lenses.

I know that the Sigma is 1.4 and the Nikon only f2 but image quality wise I'm struggling to see much difference when out and about, the bokeh is nicer on the Sigma but its very subjective.

I did take a couple of portraits of my girlfriend with the Sigma which look really nice but overall I think I'm struggling to see £400 of difference in quality really which isn't what I expected!

The closer you get to objects, the more the differences should become apparent between the sigma and nikon lenses. The low light performance of the 1.4 would also be a blessing if you like shooting in poorly lit places.

Have you checked whether both lenses focus properly with your camera? No front or back focus?

Because the Sigma is a whopping 65% sharper than the Nikon (23 Mpix vs. 14 Mpix) according to the Dxomark measurements, and that should be very visible. I compared it to a 12 Mpix lens, and it was a dramatic difference, visually, in terms of sharpness. If you did not see that, I wonder whether the Sigma focussed properly.

When you focus the Sigma manually, is 'infinite' sharpest when the focus ring is at its end position, or a tad before that? It can happen.

To check for correct focussing, I used dominoes to create a right angled triangle without the baseline on a table. I placed the dominoes at a distance from each other of maybe 2 cm. Then focussed from the baseline on the domino at the tip of the triangle, from distances of 1m, 2m, and 3m.

The I checked whether the domino at the tip was sharp, or whether one of the others, close to the camera was sharp. If neither would have been sharp, I would have focussed on one of the nearer dominoes and checked which domino further away is sharp, to check for backfocus.

It works quite well this way. Once you know in which range the fault lies, you can reduce the gaps between the dominoes.

In the end you probably need something with a scale on it, but at first, the dominoes work well, and they're more visible than a small scale.

The Sigma overall does seem better, your right its amazing close up!

I think I'm going to keep it and take it along with my Nikon 20mm f2.8 (for width) and my Nikon 50mm f1.8G which should give me enough length, I'd ordered an 85mm but to be honest I think the 50mm will do me fine just now.

Well I've gone and done it. My D700 is winging it's way to it's new owner and a D600 has been ordered.

Certainly not an easy decision to make, I loved that camera, but I need video for future projects, and although I realise there's some trade offs against the D700, there also seem to be a lot of positives to the 600.

So hopefully in 4-6 working days I'll be able to make some contributions to this thread!

Has anyone got the Nikon 28mm?
I'm guessing you mean the newer 28mm f1.8G?? Not got one, but had a play at work with one on a D800E - very nice piece of glass, I used to think it was too expensive but have changed my mind since using it.

I'm guessing you mean the newer 28mm f1.8G?? Not got one, but had a play at work with one on a D800E - very nice piece of glass, I used to think it was too expensive but have changed my mind since using it.

I was considering the 28mm f1.8 G over the 35mm F1.4 as I wanted a wider lens. I ve seen lots of good reviews about it but I still need to try it first

Well I've sourced a used 35 f2 for £190 which I'm going to go for just now but I will be leaving a Nikon 28mm f1.8G / Sigma 35mm f1.4 on my Wanted List, will keep an eye out for a used one, I know there was a Siggy 35mm a few weeks ago.

I can't justify the £658 cost of it new right now and for my holiday I'd rather than the smaller size of the Nikon lens, long-term though if I fall for the 35mm then the Sigma will be getting purchased.

My Nikon 24mm f2.8D and 35mm f2 will need to fight it out to see which one becomes my "walkaround"

Well I've gone and done it. My D700 is winging it's way to it's new owner and a D600 has been ordered.

Certainly not an easy decision to make, I loved that camera, but I need video for future projects, and although I realise there's some trade offs against the D700, there also seem to be a lot of positives to the 600.

So hopefully in 4-6 working days I'll be able to make some contributions to this thread!

How are you getting on with it?

Would anyone take a 16-35 f4 as a holiday lens over a prime?

Yeah i would, more versatile so more holiday shots instead of trying to make everything perfect compositionally or not being able to get a shot due to not being able to move back enough (buildings in narrow streets etc)

How are you getting on with it?

I decided to shoot with it a little bit before giving my opinion, but in short, I love it!

There are certainly some step-downs from the D700 (AF area, build, and 100% zoom with the ok button), but I was prepared for them so they don't really bother me. And to be honest, with all the comments regarding the plastic body, I wasn't expecting it to be as solid as it is. With a grip I find it perfectly balanced with the 24-70.

The image quality however is in a different league. I do pixel peep (a bad habit I know) and the detail, along with the DR are simply stunning. It does show up some poor technique though, as the 24MP are very unforgiving with regards to sharp images!

Other little things like dual slots (although SD cards are fiddly when you're used to CF), 100% VF, and of course the video capabilities (which were a factor in the decision to change) all add up to a brilliant camera. Yes I do have some dust, we'll just have to wait and see how bad it gets though.

All in all I'm very happy with the switch. Do I miss my D700? Honestly not really, maybe a little from a nostalgic point of view, but the D600 so far is doing everything I need it to, and it's doing it very well!

Chris, do you have an update on your sensor spots? I was just about to press the button on one and the spots fear monster reared its ugly head again.

Also, does anyone use their D600 with the 24-85mm VR Lens? I don't have a camera or lenses at the mo so the kit lens would be an easy option.

Mine touch wood seems to have cleared to some extent, theres still one that a clean would get rid of but it doesn't seem too bad.

I'm off on holiday on Friday and I'll probably get it cleaned when I come home.

At most I can see myself using f16 when I'm away (35mm and 85mm) so should be fine.

I don't have the 24-85 but I've considered it, seems alright from the few pics I've seen from it.

Thanks Chris. The D600 + kit lens combo is a rather attractive package. I'm very tempted.

Chris, do you have an update on your sensor spots? I was just about to press the button on one and the spots fear monster reared its ugly head again.

Also, does anyone use their D600 with the 24-85mm VR Lens? I don't have a camera or lenses at the mo so the kit lens would be an easy option.

Dont worry about it seriously. Just means you might have to clean it sooner than you normally would if you owned something like a D800. I came from using a D3, which has no sensor cleaning tech, so I'm use to cleaning the sensor anyway and the D600 doesn't attract as much dust as a D3.

Problem is people only ever talk about the dust issues instead of everything else about the camera lol.

I've used the kit lens. Had it for a week before sending it back.

Don't get me wrong, for a kit lens it's fine. Quite good in fact. But I ended up going for the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 instead which is cheaper especially if you buy it used and of course you can go down to f2.8

Can anyone tell me the product code for the D600 eyecup please? Mine seems to of gone walkies some how:shrug:

I have done a google and all it comes up with is DK 21 which is the eyecup for D80 D90 etc. Im presuming the D600 has a bigger one as the viewfnder is bigger

Last edited:
DK-21 listed in included accessories

Included Accessories:
EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-25 Quick Charger, EG-D2 Audio Video Cable, UC-E15 USB Cable, BM-14 LCD Monitor Cover, DK-21 Rubber Eyecup, AN-DC8 Strap, DK-5 Eyepiece Cap, BF-1B Body Cap, BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cap, NikonView NX2 CD ROM

DK-20 is listed on the Nikon site as an optional accessories

Mine came off a few times when putting it in my camera bag.(y)

Last edited:
DK-21 listed in included accessories

Included Accessories:
EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-25 Quick Charger, EG-D2 Audio Video Cable, UC-E15 USB Cable, BM-14 LCD Monitor Cover, DK-21 Rubber Eyecup, AN-DC8 Strap, DK-5 Eyepiece Cap, BF-1B Body Cap, BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cap, NikonView NX2 CD ROM

DK-20 is listed on the Nikon site as an optional accessories

Mine came off a few times when putting it in my camera bag.(y)

Oh ok thanks, I just presumed it would be different than the DX ones. I think mine got knocked off whilst the camera was hanging on my black rapid strap!

Back