Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Well I finally made the jump to FX and got a D600 and 24-70 2.8 :)

I had a Meike grip on my D7000 and would like a grip for the D600, is the Meike version for it just as good? they seem to around the £40 mark?

Looking forward to the dust on the sensor ;) but looking forward to all the good things about the D600 :D

Well I finally made the jump to FX and got a D600 and 24-70 2.8 :)

I had a Meike grip on my D7000 and would like a grip for the D600, is the Meike version for it just as good? they seem to around the £40 mark?

Looking forward to the dust on the sensor ;) but looking forward to all the good things about the D600 :D

Yes I had one on my D90 and got another for my D600. It works and feels great (y)

Its THIS one I got

I wasn't too sure about these grips myself as I have always used genuine Nikon grips. I got one for my Nikon D800 because I didn't want to spend £300 on a grip and I have to say I am very impressed.

I've recently got the 28mm 1.8G for my D600. I have to say, I love the lens, I use it more than my 50mm 1.8D as my general walk around lens now. It's almost as sharp as my 105mm and although it feels cheap, it certainly performs to its price.

I fly to Bulgaria on Saturday and I'm taking my D600, 24-70 f2.8 and 50 f1.4 with me. Hopefully I'll get some nice shots before being baked to death in the heat!

i havent read all the way through the thread, so apologies if i'm going over old ground.

I bought my d600 a few weeks ago.. within minutes the sensor was covered in crap. Cleaned it, took it out on a job and it got covered in crap again.
Tried to clean it again, but one of the spots wouldnt budge, so i took it back to jessops.
They told me its happened a lot and that nikon had been using a new type of lubrication. He said that they've gone back to the old lubrication now, so i swapped it for a camera from the new batch. And they are £6 cheaper now, so they even gave me credit :)
Thanks Jessops.
I'll keep an eye on the sensor on the new one and let you know how I get on.

I don't want to advertise anything here, but spots (which I thought were oil spots) which I could not clean with Eclipse liquid, I could clean with the Smearaway liquid made by VisibleDust (this is the bottle with the red cap). However, this liquid leaves streaks on the sensor, which then in turn can be (easily) cleaned using the Eclipse liquid, or the Dustaway liquid made by VisibleDust (the bottle with the green cap).

Good luck with that new lube, please let us know whether the sensor stays clean.

the nikon website says that anyone with these problems should take the camera to nearest nikon service centre.. implying that they will fix it for free.

I believe they will clean, free of charge, but I don't think this is all that helpful as it leaves customers without their equipment, for a week or so. Also likely that one clean is not going to be enough and that there may be a reoccurance of the problem.

It's a real shame, as I think the camera is fantastic, but I knew going into it about the spots issue and I'm not too concerned about cleaning it myself.

I find the dust problem slowly goes away over a matter of time. I am at +4000 actuations and get very little dust now. For regular updates on Nikon sensor cleaning join the D600 groups on Flickr. It appears most that are sent off for cleaning are spotty again within a couple of hundred shots. Cleaned mine a few times and all I do most of the time is run a sensor brush across the sensor after a good blowing.

Just got back from Bulgaria where the sunlight was absolutely brutal. Thankfully the DR on the D600 really can allow it to be sorted out nicely in post.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you Rascal!!!!!

Blame the other half....... she enters me into these things.

Just been playing with the D600.... not bad... Everything is in different places as always from other models.

Got to get grip fo them as unless you're a Dwarf, Napoleon or a Lady they keep making the camera bodies too bloody small.... Big hands need big things to grab onto.....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you Rascal!!!!!

Blame the other half....... she enters me into these things.

Just been playing with the D600.... not bad... Everything is in different places as always from other models.

Got to get grip fo them as unless you're a Dwarf, Napoleon or a Lady they keep making the camera bodies too bloody small.... Big hands need big things to grab onto.....

Hehe...... it was my other half that organised the day, so I had no choice but to be there.

Yes it is a bit small, and the layout is very consumer orientated, but all in all a great camera

Also check out the meike battery grip. Same functionality, but cheaper price.

Don't Meike make the Gloxy Grip anyway? Gloxy just rebrand the Meike stuff and double the price? :)

Purchased the Meike grip recently and very impressed.

Maybe going d600 from d7100 - any comment ? looking for sharper pics ! what else will it give?

I doubt that this will give you sharper pics. I'd be looking at the lenses first:

- which lenses are you using, and do you have example pics (as large as possible)?

- are the images unsharp in the center, outside the center, or in the corners?

- are the images maybe sharp elsewhere than where you focussed (i.e. does the unsharpness come from a front- or backfocus)?

Is anyone using the Nikon 24-85 "Kit Lens" with the D600? I know a lot of folk would have bought the body + lens bundle when it came out.

Reason I ask is that I've been mainly a Prime User but sometimes its a hassle especially when I'm say on holiday or out and about (not specifically going shooting).

The 24-85 seems like it would be a lightweight and relatively cheap way to give me some extra practicality with the D600 for those times when I'm not worrying too much about super ultimate quality.

Just wondering how people get on with it? I've been considering selling the D600 and picking up an Olympus OMD again purely based on size but I've been using one over the weekend with the cracking Olympus 12mm and while its alright in good light it rapidly drops off at relatively low ISO's which means for low light it probably wouldn't be great for me!

I've been using not the kit lens, but the 24-85mm f2.8-4 D with both the D600 and the D800. The reviews it gets are not overwhelming, but I liked it. It worked well with both cameras, it is light, not bulky, and the image quality IMHO is good - not entirely on a level with e.g. Nikon 85mm f1.8 G, but good enough for most occasions. If you have a look at the link in my sig, the images a little further down, starting with and down from the two birds all images except one were taken with that lens on the D800, and all images down from that 7-headed stone snake statue were taken with that lens and the D600.

I think the 3.5-4.5 gets marginally better reviews, so it probably is not a bad lens.

Like you, I'm also watching those Olympus cameras with interest. The new E-M1 is a beautiful camera and takes excellent pictures. If they had at least APS-C sized sensors, I'd probably switch to them, too. But with current technology, M4/3 just isn't as good an allrounder as an FF sensor. Maybe in a few years!

Just under 1,000 shots and the first oil spot has appeared :/. Not sure if I should send to service centre or try to clean it myself. Only had the camera 2 months!

Just under 1,000 shots and the first oil spot has appeared :/. Not sure if I should send to service centre or try to clean it myself. Only had the camera 2 months!

I thought I heard somewhere that wet-cleaning the sensor yourself invalidated the Nikon warranty. Is this true or boulder dash?!

Rumours abound! Apparently this model only fixes the oil-spot issue and can do 0.5 fps continuous burst faster than D600

I was hoping they would upgrade the focus system cos I heard the D600 was pretty pish in low light - focus hunting etc - compared to D700 or D4

So I'm considering a D700, or D610 (possibly a refurb D600 depending on the D610's 'upgrade factor').. :/

Any thoughts guys n' gals?

Cheers,

Paul

Wow! Massive upgrade...... not.

It will drive the D600 price down so I know which Id go for and save a few quid.

Back