Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

This thread seems to have fallen off the face of the earth? So a revival picture, just so happened these shots were with the 610 which usually has the 58 strapped to it.

27542709859_faaeaab5e1_b.jpg

Sent my D600 back to Nikon after having the shutter recall work carried out in Nov 2017 probably only took 300-400 images since having it back and already have 2 largish marks in the top left hand corner of the image and a smaller mark lower left. Nikon said they would pass my camera on to the workshop manager for assessment. In fairness to Nikon, to date the customer service has been great, let’s see what the say when they receive my camera on Friday!

Slipped off page 1 already! So there's a few pics that I've been meaning to go back and re-edit, this being one. They didn't do much for me at the time, I was half hearted about a cake smash and it was rushed at the end of her birthday party, she was over-tired! Didn't really get many shots before the tears flowed. I think I wasn't feeling them because the Mrs had dropped some golden, glitter things across the back and to me, it didn't look right. So I've removed those from this pic. Didn't realise this was taken with the 610, not that it matters a jot.

Still messing about with a watermark for proofing purposes, not quite, but getting there..

26389141518_8eb2b29658_b.jpg

Last edited:
Slipped off page 1 already! So there's a few pics that I've been meaning to go back and re-edit, this being one. They didn't do much for me at the time, I was half hearted about a cake smash and it was rushed at the end of her birthday party, she was over-tired! Didn't really get many shots before the tears flowed. I think I wasn't feeling them because the Mrs had dropped some golden, glitter things across the back and to me, it didn't look right. So I've removed those from this pic. Didn't realise this was taken with the 610, not that it matters a jot.

Still messing about with a watermark for proofing purposes, not quite, but getting there..

26389141518_8eb2b29658_b.jpg

I like this!

Another from me, a boring cold February day. So the Playdoh came out!

PD3-1 by Tim G, on Flickr

PD1-1 by Tim G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Still grabbing the 610 for general snapshots as it usually has the 58G on it, such as this one last night. I end up having to carry her home after the park whilst pushing the car. The face says it all.

41080383441_e11aaa8963_b.jpg

Nice shot. Just a shame the feet got chopped.

I feel your pain. My daughter is probably similar age (3). Most of my walks with her end up with me walking home carrying her and the camera on one arm and the scooter in the other hand. The struggle is real.

Those scooters are evil. Perfectly designed to swing round and catch your ankles with the sharpest most angular piece of metal ever made. This will happen however you are carrying it, and more often on a freezing cold day when your ankles are not protected. Ouch!

Nice shot. Just a shame the feet got chopped.

I feel your pain. My daughter is probably similar age (3). Most of my walks with her end up with me walking home carrying her and the camera on one arm and the scooter in the other hand. The struggle is real.

I’m not too bothered about the feet. I was a little too close truth be told and ran backwards to get this, just a step short.

They’re getting a bit heavy now so it’s a good arm workout.

TBH it's a better composition without the feet, because either the 'car' would be higher in the frame or both child & car would be too small. Anyway I really like that.

Please don't let this thread die - I've just bought a D600 and need somewhere to get tips and information :)

Here are a couple of images from my first few trial shoots with the camera. I was experimenting with different settings so colour balance, contrast, etc., won't be too consistent. All the images are jpg SOTC - I was shooting raw + jpg. The train shots were taken at Filton Abbey Wood station, where there is a lot of work going on to add an extra platfor and track.

DSC_0313 by Steve, on Flickr

DSC_0281 by Steve, on Flickr

DSC_0253 by Steve, on Flickr

These were taken in my back garden.

DSC_0228 by Steve, on Flickr

DSC_0219 by Steve, on Flickr

I promise to get better :)

Last edited:
I find the af the weakest area on these cameras. The sensor is brilliant, as good as the latest Sony A7iii. Check dxo if you do t believe me...

It has really helped that my lenses are all now dialled in (af fine tune) but I often find it will miss focus if there is something of higher contrast just outside the af point.

I find the af the weakest area on these cameras. The sensor is brilliant, as good as the latest Sony A7iii. Check dxo if you do t believe me...

It has really helped that my lenses are all now dialled in (af fine tune) but I often find it will miss focus if there is something of higher contrast just outside the af point.

There was a lot made of its AF when the 750 was launched but owning both, it’s absolutely fine IMHO, it hasn’t found to be wanting for me.

There was a lot made of its AF when the 750 was launched but owning both, it’s absolutely fine IMHO, it hasn’t found to be wanting for me.

TBH I though the AF in my Sony A58 was significantly better than my D610 in challenging conditions - low light in a pub, the Sony will lock easily while I have to use manual with focus confirmation to be certain with the Nikon.

That’s interesting because I had a D750 too and I thought that was ‘amazing’ af wise. Admittedly I did come from A Sony A99 mk1 and the af module in that was poor.

I also found the AF very poor when shooting indoors, it was my main wedding camera for a while but I missed so many shots in churches that I bought a D750, that never misses. I still use the D610 but only outdoors and it's fine.

I spent several hours at bird of prey centre at the weekend - too many hours in the baking sunshine - and was urprised how many OOF images I got compared to what I would have expected with my D300.

Right now I'm putting it down to me still getting used to the camera ... only time will tell.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting lots of spots on the sensor. I gave it a good clean before I went away for the weekend but some of the bird shots, taken against a bright blue sky, have a dozen or more spots on them. I did change lenses at the bird of prey centre - which isn't the cleanest of environments - but made sure the camera was facing downwards all the time so I wasn't expecting to see anything like that. I will post an image tonight to show what I mean.Does anyone know Nikon's current policy regarding sensor spots on these cameras?

I spent several hours at bird of prey centre at the weekend - too many hours in the baking sunshine - and was urprised how many OOF images I got compared to what I would have expected with my D300.

Right now I'm putting it down to me still getting used to the camera ... only time will tell.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting lots of spots on the sensor. I gave it a good clean before I went away for the weekend but some of the bird shots, taken against a bright blue sky, have a dozen or more spots on them. I did change lenses at the bird of prey centre - which isn't the cleanest of environments - but made sure the camera was facing downwards all the time so I wasn't expecting to see anything like that. I will post an image tonight to show what I mean.Does anyone know Nikon's current policy regarding sensor spots on these cameras?

D600 has a known fault, with oil spots from the shutter mechanism fouling the sensor. Hopefully not too late to get the shutter changed under warranty by Nikon?

I think they will sort it for the lifetime of the camera.

As for the oof images I too find this. I find quite often an area very close to the af point but with higher contrast is in focus such as a stripy hat but the eye is soft.

I think they will sort it for the lifetime of the camera.

As for the oof images I too find this. I find quite often an area very close to the af point but with higher contrast is in focus such as a stripy hat but the eye is soft.

Looks like a call to Nikon service izs in order then. Fingers crossed they're sympathetic to second users :)

I'll have to get the birds to take their stripey hats off next time :D
Sorry, couldn't resist :exit:

Last edited:
I've not had much time to do any photography recently due to work commitments :(

Here are a few of the birds I shot (in the nicest possible way, of course) back in May at the York Bird of Prey Centre. If you are ever up in that neck of the woods and want a really good day's entertainment and education then I fully recommend this place.

York BoP Centre -6 by Steve, on Flickr

York BoP Centre -5 by Steve, on Flickr

York BoP Centre -4 by Steve, on Flickr

York BoP Centre -1 by Steve, on Flickr

York BoP Centre - 2 by Steve, on Flickr

I made my first (but not last) visit to the Aerospace Bristol museum yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the extent of the exhibits there. I knew that the last Concorde to fly (ever) was housed in the newly built hangar but hadn't realised how many other bits of Bristol aerospace memorabilia were on show. Here are a couple of shots taken with the D600 and a 28-80mm AF-D lens purchased on this forum. The lighting is rather poor inside the hangars and flash photography is not permitted so the D600's high-ISO performance was about to be tested - I think it performed rather well :)

Last edited:
Back