Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

What settings do you program in on each of those Darren ?

The PLAY one I just use for messing about.

The TTL one is for normal on camera flash. I set auto ISO and flash to TTL

The CLS one I use auto ISO too and have the internal flash set to commander with the settings to match my SBs

The STUDIO one I turn off auto ISO and set the sync speed of the flash to 1/250th.

There are a few other minor changes on each one too.

On the D40x there is a setting where you can set the menus for simple or advanced. I would like to see a menu option on the D700 for "Ignore non RAW options" which removes all menu options related to JPGs and in camera processing.

Really need a good tutorial on the settings menus for the D700. It is so complicated :)

Also having a shooting menu and a custom settings bank doesn't help. I went to the zoo with several settings mis-set and it has ruined a number of my shots today.

I always reset my cameras back to a default when I'm finished for the day. Usually aperture priority ISO 200 f2.8 single shot evaluative metering,because that's what I shoot on most.

Turn off all the flash functions, set them on ETTL and pop it all away. That way if I ever need to grab a camera I know what they are set to and where to go from there. :)

As EG says, I'm annoyingly organised :)

I do have some functions dropped onto my menu though Commander Mode and Auto ISO are both there so I can get to them quickly.

I've just been reading up on the D700 (D700 digital field guide by Wiley), and I must admit, the shooting bank does look good, but I know I'd never trust it and would have to make sure everything's in place before I shoot anyway, so I doubt it would be much use to me apart from maybe studio settings.

One thing's becoming apparent though, I haven't even touched the surface with regards to what the D700 can do yet.

<snip>

but I know I'd never trust it and would have to make sure everything's in place before I shoot anyway, so I doubt it would be much use to me apart from maybe studio settings.

<snip>

Actually, with me, it's a case of not trusting myself! When I started using these banks, I found that I constantly went back to check if I was on the right one, and after that making sure that I did all the other adjustments over and over.

In the end, I just gave-up on the idea, and make sure that I set my camera the night before I go out on a shoot, and once on location I do all the necessary individual adjustments one by one.

I guess it's all a matter of mind-set, I am just not too trusty with what I may, may not, have done.

Actually, with me, it's a case of not trusting myself! When I started using these banks, I found that I constantly went back to check if I was on the right one, and after that making sure that I did all the other adjustments over and over.

In the end, I just gave-up on the idea, and make sure that I set my camera the night before I go out on a shoot, and once on location I do all the necessary individual adjustments one by one.

I guess it's all a matter of mind-set, I am just not too trusty with what I may, may not, have done.

Yeah, I can see it from both viewpoints, it'd be sods law that I forgot something myself. I'm going to programme a few in, a quick glimpse before I shoot to make sure everything's in place won't hurt.

Why spend so much on a great camera then put something unbranded on the bottom of it ?

Yeah I just bought the Nikon grip, I wanted the rubber texture to match and thought it would look better.

Anyone know any good guides for the D700 (quick shooting setups etc) as moving from a very basic Canon 1000D to the D700 is rather daunting.

You might find this page useful for setting up the various options on the D700. It's an Excel spreadsheet which shows the default settings as well as sample Shooting Bank and Custom Bank settings. Also shows the page reference in the manual! There's also a blank version to record your own settings. :)

Bugger. Should have bought another during the free grip offer !!
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Did I mention BUGGER !

Bugger. Should have bought another during the free grip offer !!
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Did I mention BUGGER !

I'm still kicking myself for buying mine the day before the offer date! That'll teach me to rush into things :LOL:

I was lucky that they extended the offer, even luckier that the wife agreed to me buying it a few days before the offer ended!

Got the Nikon grip today, makes the camera feel a lot chunkier and ergonomic in the hands. Another question, what sort of CF card is best? I've got a left over basic Sandisk 4Gb from my Canon days, but is there any card that utilises the power of the D700 (UDMA etc?) or do most folk stick with the Extreme III etc?

Extreme III for me, gives a good enough performance at a very good price.

Lexar pro and Extreme III cards for me but just because thats what I ended up with :)

Woot !!

Got my second one yesterday. Nice warm feeling inside.
Got a Genuine grip for this one, even though I missed the offer D'oh !
Feels good though and Grays had them at £195
First time visit to their place. Well impressed !!

Last edited:
I was amazed over the weekend when the camera could still show me a proper image on Live View, even though I had a Lee Big Stopper on the lens! Certainly makes composition easier with the Big Stopper during daylight hours! :D

Saw these on Facebook yesterday, Guy.

Fantastic stuff as always.

Right folks, I may have lost my mind but I pick up the D700 and 50mm tomorrow from jessops, with a 100mm VR micro from mpb and a 70-200mm from here to follow.

Whats the manual like, is it quite good or should I get a field guide to go with it?

Might need to buy some white paint for the 70-200mm though!

Right folks, I may have lost my mind but I pick up the D700 and 50mm tomorrow from jessops, with a 100mm VR micro from mpb and a 70-200mm from here to follow.

Whats the manual like, is it quite good or should I get a field guide to go with it?

I've hardly touched the manual, but then again I did have the Wiley D700 field guide to go by, which I'm halfway through.

I will read the manual though, I still don't think I've touched the sides with this beast yet.

The manual is like all Nikon manuals. How to operate all the controls and change all the settings etc. is there.
If you want to go into things a bit deeper and get a thorough explanation of everything then David Busch's Nikon D700 is superb and extremely well illustrated.
It's an armchair read since it is about the size of a telephone directory.

Hi, just thought I would check in here as I have recently been spending the kids inheritance.

D700
24-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8 VR
plus the big Tamrac bag to put everything in.

I already have the 50mm 1.4 and the 105mm 2.8 primes.

The manual I have is 'Mastering the Nikon D700' by Darrel Young and James Johnson. Easy to follow and seems to cover everything..........so far, would recommend it.

Hi Ian,

This is the bag:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-tamrac-ultra-pro-13-bag-5613-/p1032379

You could accomodate the D700 + 70-200 providing you arrange the bag carefully. Have a look at the above, especially the layout.

At the moment I have both my cameras and all my lenses in it. If I have the 70-200 on the D700 I have to remove the lens from the D90.

The only drawback is when it is full (very heavy) it does not hang/sit comfortably from the shoulder strap, it is just so big.

But it will take practically everything you need, there is oodle of pockets/space, even a place for a laptop.

Last edited:
Back button focusing disengages VR, not disable ! To back button focus with VR simply half press the shutter button.
This is because only the shutter button operates VR.

Well I guess I should join in with this, just picked up a D700 from the classifieds and even without a lens to put on the front of it I'm still mega impressed. :)

One thing though - my god how many buttons and menus do Nikon need lol. The Canon 5D is a simple beast by comparison.

Well I guess I should join in with this, just picked up a D700 from the classifieds and even without a lens to put on the front of it I'm still mega impressed. :)

One thing though - my god how many buttons and menus do Nikon need lol. The Canon 5D is a simple beast by comparison.

Nikon just has everything on the outside while Canon has everything hidden in the menus...

Back