Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

jess-3.jpg

first shot on a D700 I have on test at the moment. Seems a nice bit of kit

stew

You're probably right Rob, so far the Canon menus seem so much more intuitive, but I'll get used to the D700, just give it a few days.

The customisable buttons are an extremely welcome addition though, as are the customisable auto ISO and minimum shutter speed.

You can put "Auto ISO" onto "My Menu" and then select minimum shutter and maximum ISO ceilings easily with just one or two presses.

About to pull the trigger on the 24-70 as soon as I shift my Tamron 28-75, then I'll be starting to save (again) for the 70-200. The 50 1.4 has hardly come off this body since I got it, had some very pleasing results so far, but am also now lusting over the 85 1.4.....

You can put "Auto ISO" onto "My Menu" and then select minimum shutter and maximum ISO ceilings easily with just one or two presses.

Phil I did actually try that, but I couldn't figure out how to alter the shutter speed setting going by this route it seems to give you less options?

At the moment I have the fn button set to spot meter and the DOF button set to AEL so I can meter for people's faces etc. Might set up a custom bank for each lens with the minimum shutter speed relevant to the lens.

About to pull the trigger on the 24-70 as soon as I shift my Tamron 28-75, then I'll be starting to save (again) for the 70-200. The 50 1.4 has hardly come off this body since I got it, had some very pleasing results so far, but am also now lusting over the 85 1.4.....

Funnily enough the 85mm f/1.4 is the first lens I've just purchased for it, it's a beauty! I'm torn between the 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 for a wider angle lens. Ideally I'd like the 35mm wider than f/2 but as I already have the 50mm for the 5D I'll probably still go for the 35mm.

Last edited:
I love the 50, never got a look in on my D90 as I always favoured the Sigma 30mm, but on the D700 it's an absolute beauty.

I did a shoot last night, the first time I've properly used both bodies in the one job. I was amazed at how much the D90 felt like a toy in comparison, I've never really looked at the two side by side until now.

I've FINALLY got the combo I've been lusting over for SO long.

I've just got back from Jessops with a lovely new 24-70 to pop on my D700, and I'm a very happy boy.

At the moment I have the following in My Menu:

ISO
White balance
Image quality
Picture control
Flash control

And the Function button is assigned to My Menu.

This allows me to quickly access all of these especially helpful in fading light. It also means I don't have to put on my specs to see the top lcd panel.

Jeff

Hi all, I will be purchasing a D700 in the next few months. Just trying to budget for everything ill need. Can someone tell me the size of the RAW files per shot and also the combined size when you shoot RAW & JPEG. I'm trying to work out the size of flash card/s ill need to get.

Thanks.

Depends what quality settings you use. I shot just RAW using 12 bit compressed RAW files and I'll get about 500 shots on a 8GB card, or just over 1,000 on a 16GB.

Depends what quality settings you use. I shot just RAW using 12 bit compressed RAW files and I'll get about 500 shots on a 8GB card, or just over 1,000 on a 16GB.

OK looks like ill need a few 8GB cards at least. Can you shoot uncompressed?

I have mine set to 14-bit, on a 16GB I get just a bit over 600 shots. I figure that's good enough. Having a couple of these, and a few smaller capacities to be sufficient enough.

Can you shoot uncompressed, yes you can; but there is the option for "lossless compressed"; I don't see why not to use that.

I shoot 14 bit RAW and get around 150 or so on a 4GB card, I think it was around 107 shooting RAW + Fine JPEG.

i have just fitted a dk-19 to my dk-17m viewfinder its a big improvement

it took a bit of research to find what fits what

the dk-19 was £8 from amazon

the dk 17-m is approx £28

Is it my imagination or on another thread...what happened to the 85mm AF-D f/1.4 images that were on here?

Managed to finally get a play with the 24-70 on Saturday and all I can say is 'Wow!'

By far the sharpest and best lens I have ever used, and I thought the 70-200 I rented would take some beating. I can't see how this will ever come off the body now, the 50 is about to be made redundant again!

Decided to buy the Nikon 24-70mm, hope it's as impressive as people say. Is there a protective filter most people use for it that's recommended?

Decided to buy the Nikon 24-70mm, hope it's as impressive as people say. Is there a protective filter most people use for it that's recommended?

No, don't use a filter unless you are on the beach or something like that but I ALWAYS use the lens hood. With the 24-70's lens hood in position the front element is protected. Also the front element is a sacrificial element anyway. It is not that expensive to replace and on that basis I would rather get the best IQ from my best lens!

Enjoy (y)

Got to test the high ISO capabilities in a church on Sunday at a Christening, shot at 2000 and was well impressed with the results, hardly any noise at all. This camera impresses me more each time I use it.

No - never use one.

No, don't use a filter unless you are on the beach or something like that but I ALWAYS use the lens hood. With the 24-70's lens hood in position the front element is protected. Also the front element is a sacrificial element anyway. It is not that expensive to replace and on that basis I would rather get the best IQ from my best lens!

Enjoy (y)

Cheers everyone. I thought that might be the answer.

Hehe...

I have the same answer, but didn't post because I thought I'd be called a nutter :wacky:
:D

Just found these threads on the D700. Had mine for 18 months now and loving it.
For those of you still trying to come to terms with the D700 or even for the experts who want a good reference eBook I can certainly recommend Thom Hogans Complete guide to the Nikon D700 eBook. I ordered mine and it came in about a week.
http://www.bythom.com/nikond700guide.htm

Dave

i have just fitted a dk-19 to my dk-17m viewfinder its a big improvement... it took a bit of research to find what fits what - the dk-19 was £8 from amazon - the dk 17-m is approx £28

Phew... Just order both these as well - am glad to read that someone else recommends them.....

Just thought that I would add to this thread as just made that initial step up to FF..

I've one question thou (save scrolling 8 pages) what is the best set-up in menu wise to have on the D700 :shrug:

I've used these D700 set up guide & Uncle Kens set-up Kens D700 set-up (used for my D300s) so am wondering are these the ideal way of having it set up :shrug:

Last edited:

To have Nikon change the front element on a 24-70 is likely to cost a few hundred £££s.** I use the 77mm Nikon Neutral Color NC. It's fairly expensive normally but one UK supplier sells it for £31.99. The 77mm Hoya Pro 1 Digital Protector is good too.

(** 300 euros according to this quote from Nikon Netherlands http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=31727305)

Last edited:
Phew... Just order both these as well - am glad to read that someone else recommends them.....

Bought a chinese copy of the rubber cup for £2.50 delivered and it arrived in about 3-4 days (y)

Bought a chinese copy of the rubber cup for £2.50 delivered and it arrived in about 3-4 days (y)

:confused: went via Warehouse Express as they were the virtually the only ones that had them in stock....

Its not the round Nikon eye cup though is it its the ovalish type cup... I've had those one's for my previous Nikon bodies....

Decided to buy the Nikon 24-70mm, hope it's as impressive as people say.

:eek: I've just done exactley the same.... Just sold my Nikon 28-70 "beast" :crying: an got the Nikon 24-70mm ... So just hope that I haven't made a mistake :cautious:

Seems a dear week this week - New D700 & now a Nikon 24-70 :bonk:

I can confirm you won't be disappointed in the 24-70 :D It's a heavy beast though, particularly with a gripped D700.

I can confirm you won't be disappointed in the 24-70 :D It's a heavy beast though, particularly with a gripped D700.

Had Nikons 28-70mm 2,8 "beast" so have arms of steel :LOL:

(y)

+1.

(The grip balances the 24-70 well - but it's hard work walking round all day).

Back