Nikon D750 & D780

Potentially stupid question - Recent switcher from Canon

Just had my Yongnuo 568 flashes arrive this week. Seems great so far but I'm a little baffled about one little thing, I'll try to explain the best I can.

In aperture mode the rear dial is used to +/- exposure compensation. I have it set up the same as my canon so left for under, right for over.
-......0......+

When I attach a flash, the meter reads as under exposed. Understand this as it doesn't account for the flash output at this point.

When I dial in some -ive expo comp, the meter reads -....*** 0 .......+ , thats fine totally understand this.

However when I start to dial in +expo, the meter comes back to the 0 point, and then goes back to the left even further so the expo comp could be +4 however the meter reads -****** 0 ........+

Can't quite get my head around that. I could RTFM but I don't have it with me and it has been bugging me.

Received my D750 on Monday. Great service from Panamoz.

Thinking of a D750. Have a D7100 with 10-20DX, 18-50DX, 70-200 FX and 1.4TC, 35mmDX, 50mmFX, 105mm Macro FX. Mainly shoot landscape, rugby and street (for which I mainly use my EM5 )

Would expect to use the D750 mailnly for landscape for the improved DR but don't have any wide FX lenses- thinking of pairing it with either a 16-35F4 or the 24-130 F4.

Would want to keep my D7100 and possibly pair up with a 300mm F4 for the rugby stuff for reach and the D750 and 70-200 for a bit closer on the sport. Probably get rid of the 10-20 and 35mm DX's to go towards the 300 f4.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this as a set up. Also I'm aware that there might be a biiiiigggggg GAS thing going on here.:)

Thinking of a D750. Have a D7100 with 10-20DX, 18-50DX, 70-200 FX and 1.4TC, 35mmDX, 50mmFX, 105mm Macro FX. Mainly shoot landscape, rugby and street (for which I mainly use my EM5 )

Would expect to use the D750 mailnly for landscape for the improved DR but don't have any wide FX lenses- thinking of pairing it with either a 16-35F4 or the 24-130 F4.

Would want to keep my D7100 and possibly pair up with a 300mm F4 for the rugby stuff for reach and the D750 and 70-200 for a bit closer on the sport. Probably get rid of the 10-20 and 35mm DX's to go towards the 300 f4.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this as a set up. Also I'm aware that there might be a biiiiigggggg GAS thing going on here.:)

You can never be completely clear of GAS but it can be controlled by feeding it from time to time! The 24-120 is a good partner for the D750 and is plenty cheaper than the faster 24-70 f/2.8. Useful overlap with the 70-200 as well.

However when I start to dial in +expo, the meter comes back to the 0 point, and then goes back to the left even further so the expo comp could be +4 however the meter reads -****** 0 ........+

Can't quite get my head around that. I could RTFM but I don't have it with me and it has been bugging me.
It doesn't make obvious sense to me... On Nikons, Camera EC affects both the flash and the ambient, unlike Canon. But most of the current bodies have the ability to modify this behavior so that CEC/FEC act like Canons do. But I don't see why that would affect the indication (I haven't messed with it much).

I know there have been some display inconsistencies where the camera did not show the correct setting until the new setting was actually used... but I think it was a case of the display not changing and not changing to be wrong. I think that was fixed with a firmware update. I don't have a D750 to compare...

I have the 16-35 F4 and I don't think you'd regret that one. It's sharp, light and the VR comes in surprisingly useful. The 70-200mm is excellent and the combo of it and the 300mm should cover you nicely for rugby action (and maybe the 16-35 F4 too for something different!).

I can't comment on the 24-120 F4 as I have the 24-70 F2.8, but the Panamoz 'kit' price for the D750 and 24-120 was so attractive that I've ordered it and am looking forward to testing the lens out. I'm trying to reduce the size and weight of my kit a little so I'll be interested to see if the 24-120 can replace the 24-70, as the D750 will replace my much-loved D700,

I'm trying to reduce the size and weight of my kit a little so I'll be interested to see if the 24-120 can replace the 24-70, as the D750 will replace my much-loved D700,

Be really interested how you feel about the 24-120 against the 24-70 - also how much different /better is the d750 against your d700 - my advice hang on to the 24-70 until you are really sure something can replace it !!

Be really interested how you feel about the 24-120 against the 24-70 - also how much different /better is the d750 against your d700 - my advice hang on to the 24-70 until you are really sure something can replace it !!

Oh definitely! I really like my 24-70mm and it's on the camera most of the time so I won't rush any decision. I'm very interested to see how the 24-120 performs in comparison, and whether the weight and size saving is 'worth it' in terms of image quality. The D750 and lens should both be here in a few hours so weather permitting I can get some straight comparisons done over the next few days,

The Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 is my go-to lens, it's extremely sharp, fast. In fact the only gripe I have with it Is it doesn't have VR. However, all is about to change next year when a new version comes out with the VR ! I'll, be chopping my lens in for the new model. It's paid for itself over and over again.

I tracked mine yesterday from Hong Kong to Dubai to Cologne (y) It's in the UK now and will be with me tomorrow, and hopefully it'll provide a dollop of mojo and inspiration too :D

Well mine has now been to Cologne and then Castle Donnington and now Tamworth it's better travelled then me. I just hope it's got some good shots from it's trip.........

Am surprise there no one here raving on how good the D750 is...

I've come over from a 5d3... Have I regretted it no I'd not think think so lol... Maybe one thing I miss are the lens I had as I have not built up miss you lens collection yet as waiting to decide what to go for as only want to buy once..

To miss you eye the d750 have produced me much better images and to capture these images has been a bit more easier too over the 5d3. My in law has always said he felt my 5d3 wasn't up to standard compare to his...

I have also found the 3d tracker for c-AF pretty good and been able to capture more images than I had with the 5d3

I love the built in flash and to be honest it done me good it not harsh at all for easy days... But when I want to do proper portraits I will get myself a external but which I don't know yet as I need find one that will trigger from the built in flash that won't break the bank..

I love to hear from some other new d750 users of your though of your new toy...

Am surprise there no one here raving on how good the D750 is...

I've come over from a 5d3... Have I regretted it no I'd not think think so lol... Maybe one thing I miss are the lens I had as I have not built up miss you lens collection yet as waiting to decide what to go for as only want to buy once..

To miss you eye the d750 have produced me much better images and to capture these images has been a bit more easier too over the 5d3. My in law has always said he felt my 5d3 wasn't up to standard compare to his...

I have also found the 3d tracker for c-AF pretty good and been able to capture more images than I had with the 5d3

I love the built in flash and to be honest it done me good it not harsh at all for easy days... But when I want to do proper portraits I will get myself a external but which I don't know yet as I need find one that will trigger from the built in flash that won't break the bank..

I love to hear from some other new d750 users of your though of your new toy...
I love mine!!! What sort of shooting are you using the 3D tracker for? I have also found it to be quite useful when I took a few engagement type pics (walking/chatting to each other etc).

I been using the 3d tracker on my daughter when she out playing in field it works a wonder much easier than the 5d3 was.

Panamoz - paid late Friday night, got acknowledgement on Saturday - tracking number Monday

UPS site - message this morning

"On vehicle for delivery today"

Last edited:
Course I read them all I should of said of late

It's a better camera in every single category to the 5D mk3 from my experience.

YN568EX will work with the in built CLS, but fair better with YN622 radio triggers.

arrived, checked out on nikon site - happy to inform me not affected by flair issue - bought from panamoz

grip is good c/f with d7xx and d7xxx

high ISO shots look good

shutter noisy

only had it 30 mins

Last edited:
Mines arrived but I'm in Canary Wharf at the moment so will have to wait to have a play

Panamoz - can anyone explain how the 3 year warranty is evidence and operated - should I have received any papers with the camera?

Panamoz - can anyone explain how the 3 year warranty is evidence and operated - should I have received any papers with the camera?

There was a Worldwide Warranty document with mine, inside the plastic containing the software disc. However, I think the 3-year warranty is with Panamoz themselves.

My battery is charging at the moment so haven't even switched it on yet, but I like the deep grip on the body. It feels just right in my hand and I can understand why the reviews all mention it.

However, I think the 3-year warranty is with Panamoz themselves.

The evidence of this and any claims procedure …… in writing, is what I am after

The Nikon WW warranty docs are just as usual with all Nikon kit

The evidence of this and any claims procedure …… in writing, is what I am after

The Nikon WW warranty docs are just as usual with all Nikon kit

I didn't have anything with mine or my Fuji XT1. You have your invoice as proof of purchase and for warranty claims.

You may remember, I returned mine before Christmas as it had debris in the VF and I couldn't have had a better service. They picked up the camera the next day after notifying them of the debris and the camera was back in HK in a couple of days and I had a refund on the third day. I can't remember having a better service from any of the big boys here.

arrived, checked out on nikon site - happy to inform me not affected by flair issue - bought from panamoz

grip is good c/f with d7xx and d7xxx

high ISO shots look good

shutter noisy

only had it 30 mins

Shutter noisy? Positively silent compared to my old D700!

Is the high ISO performance in a different league to the D7100/D700 ……… it seem to me that it is after just taking a few shots

But do the technical test say this?

I will only be able to tell once I shoot a few birds as that is what I am familiar with

Well I can tell you that the ISO performance of the D750 is better than the 5D3 well the one I had anyway...

Well I got back form London at 10:30 last night and could resist at least having a little look at it. Tonight I hope to have a play. :)

Is the high ISO performance in a different league to the D7100/D700 ……… it seem to me that it is after just taking a few shots

But do the technical test say this?

I will only be able to tell once I shoot a few birds as that is what I am familiar with

IMO yes for the D7100. I didn't like going over ISO 800 on the D7100 and would happily shot at ISO 3200 with the D750. As you know Bill, my bird photography is mostly at home, you may have different thoughts when out in the field.

I have sent my D7100 and 300mm f4 of this week to a dealer for a cash sale, soon as the money hits my account I will order a new D750. I will then buy a Sigma or Tamron 150-600m to go with the body when I have a chance to try them out.

Anyone had any problems with light ingression thru the viewfinder when using the LCD to view and take the image

I put my thumb over the VF ……… as there is no cover that you can slide into place, (as there is on the D700)

just asking!

IMO yes for the D7100. I didn't like going over ISO 800 on the D7100 and would happily shot at ISO 3200 with the D750. As you know Bill, my bird photography is mostly at home, you may have different thoughts when out in the field.

I have sent my D7100 and 300mm f4 of this week to a dealer for a cash sale, soon as the money hits my account I will order a new D750. I will then buy a Sigma or Tamron 150-600m to go with the body when I have a chance to try them out.

Morning Simon, the Tamron looks really good value for money ……… if you do not have a good tripod Simon they can and do make a big difference - you will be able to pick up an older metal Gitzo quite cheaply which will be as steady as a rock and the Manfrotto 393 is also great value for money and works well, (I have a few "Gimbals" - the top end to the cheaper and the 393 is a really good buy)

Did you get the 'bird on a stick' or the 'artsy' version Bill? :D

My wife is looking over my shoulder gramps - I have just told her I need to buy another as I have the "bird on a stick" version and she prefers "arty, no birds" …….. life is so hard

The LCD use with a long lens is interesting - I just wonder how much mirror slap can be dampened with a remote with no hands on say a 500mm or 600mm lens …. say for static birds ……… but not sure how the LiveView works - is the Mirror up when you view the image on the screen?

Last edited:
Back