Nikon D750 & D780

With a bit of luck, my D750 should be arriving today... After a year of messing about with different systems, I've finally decided to settle with Nikon (although I nearly went back to Canon). The D750 looks so good on paper and I hope it stacks up well against my old 5DMKIII. :)

I just need to get the last of my Fuji gear shifted and then I can go and get some long glass for it. :)

Interesting, I will watch with interest, you have finally upgraded, I am still hanging on to mine, let us know your thoughts Yvonne

Well all good so far, a couple of early evening pictures from tonights gig, both cameras seem to have performed very well indeed having had a quick flick through them. These are quick edits, just a levels tweaklet and crop/resize

DSC_0069 by Yvonne White LBIPP - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

DSC_0079 by Yvonne White LBIPP - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Looks all good Yvonne, they look lovely. I have heard the skin tones are great, I am going to have to buy it

Hi all I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I've spent a while trawling through the posts here and I haven't been able to find my answer

I'm going to get a new D750 and have been looking at the 2 common kit versions as well as just having the body,............................. the 2 versions I have been looking at are the:-
D750 + AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikkor
D750 + AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikkor

my current camera is the D7000 and the lens that stays on the front for a lot of the time is the old kit lens from my original D70 which is the 18-70 F3.5-4.5 ED DX it is a nice lens and gives me scope I also have the tamron Af Di 90mm F2.8 macro a new Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro and the Nikon AF-S 70-300 F4.5-5.6G VR plus the Nikon AF 50mm F1.4D

my reason for looking is to replace the old dx lens I believe that with the crop factor of the 7000 the focal length would be up around the 110mm mark so by getting the 24-120mm i would have a slightly wider similar lens so an easy transition........... money is a factor and I am looking at prices from people like Grays, Mifsuds, Wex as I don't know enough about grey imports etc to make a decision and they seem taboo and scary even though a lot cheaper so if someone wants to enlighten me as to that as well I'm listening

help and advice gratefully received

Hi all I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I've spent a while trawling through the posts here and I haven't been able to find my answer

I'm going to get a new D750 and have been looking at the 2 common kit versions as well as just having the body,............................. the 2 versions I have been looking at are the:-
D750 + AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikkor
D750 + AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikkor

my current camera is the D7000 and the lens that stays on the front for a lot of the time is the old kit lens from my original D70 which is the 18-70 F3.5-4.5 ED DX it is a nice lens and gives me scope I also have the tamron Af Di 90mm F2.8 macro a new Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro and the Nikon AF-S 70-300 F4.5-5.6G VR plus the Nikon AF 50mm F1.4D

my reason for looking is to replace the old dx lens I believe that with the crop factor of the 7000 the focal length would be up around the 110mm mark so by getting the 24-120mm i would have a slightly wider similar lens so an easy transition........... money is a factor and I am looking at prices from people like Grays, Mifsuds, Wex as I don't know enough about grey imports etc to make a decision and they seem taboo and scary even though a lot cheaper so if someone wants to enlighten me as to that as well I'm listening

I've had my D750 for about six weeks and I'm delighted with it. I had my D700 for five years and I thought it would be hard to beat but - although there are a couple of different controls that I'm still having to get used to - it's been comfortably superceded by the D750. I appreciate the slightly smaller and lighter form, too.

I purchased mine from Panamoz as a kit with the 24-120 f4, on the basis that the kit was great value and the lens would hopefully make a good lightweight alternative to my 24-70 f2.8, and if I didn't like it I could sell it on, but so far it's hardly been off the camera. In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to get yours with the 24-120 as it compares well with a lens costing much more, and they fit together very well. I also wouldn't hesitate to consider purchasing from Panamoz as the process - although a bit daunting the first time - is very smooth, their communication is excellent, and you'll have your camera in your hands within 3-4 days of paying for it.

Last edited:
Unless you want/need the extra shallowness of DoF that an f/2.8 lens offers over an f/4, go for the 24-120. In terms of AoV it's very similar to that of the 18-70 (once crop factors are taken into consideration) and it's considerably more compact that the 24-70 f/2.8s.

I'd heard some good things about the 24-85mm but I was left disappointed with the one I got, it wasn't really bad at anything but neither did it excel at anything besides being compact. The 24-120mm f/4 tends to get a lot of positive comments but I've yet to use one.

I've recently bought the D750 plus 24 - 70 mm from Paramoz.com and looking at the price now it has come down by £100.

Complete with 24 - 120 mm it is £1463 if paying by BACS

The AFS-VR 24-120mm would be my choice it's extremely versatile with excellent optics :)

Many thanks for the reply's I think the AFS 24-120mm will suit my needs best will be ordering it with the D750 this week :) but I'm still a coward and although in the past I have imported reptiles from the states with marked down prices to pay slightly less duty I will this time be buying from a uk dealer just because I want to support my local shop/ dealer Mifsuds they have always looked after me and let me have as much time to try something as is practical

Many thanks for the reply's I think the AFS 24-120mm will suit my needs best will be ordering it with the D750 this week :) but I'm still a coward and although in the past I have imported reptiles from the states with marked down prices to pay slightly less duty I will this time be buying from a uk dealer just because I want to support my local shop/ dealer Mifsuds they have always looked after me and let me have as much time to try something as is practical

Im the same, if I go to a shop to test and they go out their way to help me Ill buy it there and then, doesnt matter if it costs a bit more.

Well my D750 arrived on Friday and I've had a small amount of time to play whilst away with the wife and kids but me really likeeee
Got some great family holiday pics whilst playing now I can't wait to get home and have a proper play I must admit I haven't felt this excited for a little while .......... I'm happy as a pig in poop :nikon:

Got five minutes to spare ?

Don't forget to password protect your D750 WIFI to your iPhone / Android Nikon remote app. Whilst the manual does explain how to connect it's not all that clear. Here's how I set mine up on IPhone - Android is pretty much the same.

1. Setup menu > WIFi > Network connection from off to 'enable'

2. On your iPhone 'Settings' menu 'WIFI' make sure this option is turned on (it probably is already)

3. WIFI setting will 'find' WIFI signal from your D750. You know you will have it when you see 'Nikon_ etc' on your iPhone. Tap to select.

4. Open the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility App.

5. Top right hand corner 'Settings' > tap on this to open.

6. Change settings to WPA2-PSK-AES.

7. Go back to menu and select 'Password of your choice'

8. Exit and hit 'OK' - that's it job done and your up and running.

9. Come right out of iPhone WIFI settings, go back in and enter your password again.

If your lens cap is off, you should now be able to see on your iPhone whatever image your lens is pointing to.

In addition you can view pictures held on your SD card and also save these to your iPhone / Android.

It's not a bad little app and I can see the potential for photographing wildlife or perhaps some candid street photography. With the camera hanging from a strap from your neck or resting on a table. Nobody will pay you any attention as you look at your iPhone, view the subject and then press the shutter button on your phone to take the exposure. Hope this helps.

I knew you had put instructions for wi-fi on the thread, just been through 23 pages looking for it. Been having problems connecting with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a new iphone 5s. Will try your settings advice in the morning. I have also downloaded the Nikon app onto my Ipad Air 2, do you know if it will work on there as I believe the app is desgined for phones???

Well my D750 arrived on Friday and I've had a small amount of time to play whilst away with the wife and kids but me really likeeee
Got some great family holiday pics whilst playing now I can't wait to get home and have a proper play I must admit I haven't felt this excited for a little while .......... I'm happy as a pig in poop :nikon:
Did you do a little wee wee

yes I did I purchased from Mifsuds which is a pro dealership in Brixham south Devon they have looked after me very well in the past so I tend to do repeat business because of it and I managed to negotiate a few freebies with the sale, I wasn't happy with the grey import route and as such I decided it wasn't for me everyone is entitled to do as they choose and I don't knock anyone who wants to save some money it just wasn't for me this time :)

So, my d750 was sent for repair with an expected repair date of 7th may. This has Been updated and still shows the same date. There is no email address I can write to and establish when it will be back, really need it by Friday. There is a phone no I was planning on trying tomorrow, is that the one for the right dept or a generic number?

I still haven't sent mine back as I'm enjoying far too much , although I did manage to lose the eye cup in Paris last week . For some reason mine kept poppping out ?

So, my d750 was sent for repair with an expected repair date of 7th may. This has Been updated and still shows the same date. There is no email address I can write to and establish when it will be back, really need it by Friday. There is a phone no I was planning on trying tomorrow, is that the one for the right dept or a generic number?

Seriously, it's not hard to find on the Nikon website, try this one:- 0330 123 0928

I'm holding off sending mine in as I can't seem to find time I'm happy to be without, Nikon told me 4-5 day turnaround, so interested to hear how you get on.

As an aside to all D750 owners here, I want a second body, grey market, if anyone is looking to move one on I have £'s ready. Would certainly make it easier to be without one of them.

Last edited:
I'm now a paid up member of the D750 owners Club after ordering a few bits from Wilkinson Cameras in Liverpool tonight.

D750
Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 85mm f1.8

With the Nikon free grip offer :)

The plan is to pickup the rest in a month or two:

D750
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8

Last edited:
Nice set-up there John with those lenses. I'm sure you will enjoy using the camera.

I'm now a paid up member of the D750 owners Club after ordering a few bits from Wilkinson Cameras in Liverpool tonight.

D750
Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 85mm f1.8

D750
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8

I have a similar line up John, with a Nikkor 14-24mm
f/2.8 I just need a Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 to replace the one I reluctantly sold when I was hard up and jobs a bit thin on the ground. For me it's the perfect set up and covers most things. I'll be in Liverpool on Thursday when I get back from Scala and will pop in to Wilkos. Very knowledgeable staff there and always a pleasure to chat to.

Last edited:

D750
Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 85mm f1.8

D750
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8

Almost snap. Swap the 35 for a 28 and the 24-70 for an 18-35 and I'm good to go.

Must say that only having had my D750 since Saturday I'm finding it handles nicely, and some of the new features make things much better/easier. Every camera should have a flippy screen!

My new D750 and 24-120 should be starting its journey from Panamoz land today.
Can't wait!
Allan

OK folks, need some quick help, as I am jumping in a car and heading to the airport in just over an hour and a quick check on a pdf version of the D750 handbook didn't reveal the answer. No doubt I have simply missed, but thought it might be worth a quick ask in here.

Video mode, how does it, or how do you get it to focus once in video mode? Is it manually using the lens focus ring or is there some clever inbuilt autofocus? never used video and will probably only do it once or twice, but figured it was worth knowing, just in case. :thinking:

Ah s'ok, found it, possibly I did a quick test with a none AF-s lens on, which explains why it didn't focus. Sorted. :)

MF is probably best for video you don't tend to pick up the noise of the AF motor, not quite as quick though but it descent detract from it.

MF is probably best for video you don't tend to pick up the noise of the AF motor, not quite as quick though but it descent detract from it.

How is it not as quick? I think you need to refer back to the thread you commented on previously regarding MF in video.

Thanks Nick. Any i do will end silent anyway, but video isnt my thing so will leave camera to do the work i think ;-)

Back