Nikon D750 & D780

Do you like it?

Yeah, I got the pack with the Slide and the Clutch, always have the Clutch on the camera. Doesn't need tightened right up to feel secure, but when fully tight, I'd struggle to use the BBF button.

Yeah, I got the pack with the Slide and the Clutch, always have the Clutch on the camera. Doesn't need tightened right up to feel secure, but when fully tight, I'd struggle to use the BBF button.

Thanks, ordered, just wanted something with a bit of support for portrait shooting. Ill assume (hope) its ideal.

Just noticed one of these in LCE in Nottingham. Quite cheap!

Is it the 180mm you are talking about?
It's not a particularly expensive lens, but thinking it will make a nice addition to my portrait collection !
It should compliment the 85 and the 135, as I got rid of my zooms, so the 80-200 has gone.

Is it the 180mm you are talking about?
It's not a particularly expensive lens, but thinking it will make a nice addition to my portrait collection !
It should compliment the 85 and the 135, as I got rid of my zooms, so the 80-200 has gone.

Yes. Was £350. No idea if that's cheap but i thought so? They had a 60mm f2.8 d in also for £140!

If you didn't have the heavy Art lenses then you wouldn't need support... ;)

Handled the 16-35 today. It's a niiiice lens.

I wouldnt need support if I didnt have a 800g flash / battery pack plus modifiers in my other hand making it cumbersome. I can deal with the ART easily when I have both hands and not just a D750 dangling from 3 fingers. ;)

Last edited:
Yes. Was £350. No idea if that's cheap but i thought so? They had a 60mm f2.8 d in also for £140!

Sounds about right price.
Just want to see if anyone has used it on the D750 before I get one.
(It's not quite a 200mm f2, but it's as close as I can afford at the moment !)

Had a wander out at 3am with the camera as you do... :wacky:

Seeing Stars
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Didn't really know what i was doing but figured it out in the end.

65 shots, 20 seconds, f4.5, iso 1000.

I think using a lighter lens would have been preferable as it was quite windy and on the side of the road so when a car came past i think the tripod wobbled a little. Need to find a better location but i didn't want to drive for a hour only to get there and not really know what i was doing. This was 5 minutes away from home so I'm quite happy with it as a test run.

Seeing Stars

I think using a lighter lens would have been preferable as it was quite windy and on the side of the road so when a car came past i think the tripod wobbled a little. Need to find a better location but i didn't want to drive for a hour only to get there and not really know what i was doing. This was 5 minutes away from home so I'm quite happy with it as a test run.

If you didn't have the heavy Nikon lens then you wouldn't need support... ;)

Seeing Stars

This is something I really want to have a go at. Hoping to have a try over the Christmas break.

Hey guys I'm a bit late to the party, and apologies if this had been asked in one of the previous 7976 posts!

I currently use a D810 and am looking for a second body for use at weddings. I have a D600 which is my current second body, but the button layout really pees me off when I'm so used to the D810.

For example, two features I use all the time on the D810 which I can't on the 600 are 100% zoom in the centre joypad button, and ISO control on the movie record button.

Can someone tell me if the D750 is able to do these functions, or is it still the same as the D600?

Also are there many other ergonomic differences that might hinder a seamless transition between both the 810 and 750?
TIA

Hey guys I'm a bit late to the party, and apologies if this had been asked in one of the previous 7976 posts!

I currently use a D810 and am looking for a second body for use at weddings. I have a D600 which is my current second body, but the button layout really pees me off when I'm so used to the D810.

For example, two features I use all the time on the D810 which I can't on the 600 are 100% zoom in the centre joypad button, and ISO control on the movie record button.

Can someone tell me if the D750 is able to do these functions, or is it still the same as the D600?

Also are there many other ergonomic differences that might hinder a seamless transition between both the 810 and 750?
TIA

It does have these functions. I went from a D700/D800 to a D750 and was fine. Some complain about the location of the "AF on button" if you BBF. The D750 imo offers a lot of useful features over the other D7/8xx series. Best bet is to try the camera if youre very concerned about ergonomics.

It does have these functions. I went from a D700/D800 to a D750 and was fine. Some complain about the location of the "AF on button" if you BBF. The D750 imo offers a lot of useful features over the other D7/8xx series. Best bet is to try the camera if youre very concerned about ergonomics.

I'd be interested to know what you feel are the "lot of useful features over the D7/8xx series.
Genuine question, as I am coming from a D700, which I will keep as a backup, but I am having a hard time deciding between D750 or D810.
I've used them both, and they are both amazing upgrades from the D700.
However, the ergonomics of the D750 didn't feel quite right for me, so instead of buying the 750, I'm saving for the D810, even though I don't need all those pixels.
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,
Gary.

I'd be interested to know what you feel are the "lot of useful features over the D7/8xx series.
Genuine question, as I am coming from a D700, which I will keep as a backup, but I am having a hard time deciding between D750 or D810.
I've used them both, and they are both amazing upgrades from the D700.
However, the ergonomics of the D750 didn't feel quite right for me, so instead of buying the 750, I'm saving for the D810, even though I don't need all those pixels.
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,
Gary.

U1 / U2 presets on mode dial, wifi, flippy screen, weight/size, deep grip, image colour / tones straight out of camera, lower light AF system, faster fps, better low light ISO SOOC, 24MP is also more than enough for me. So quite a bit... oh, and price!

Last edited:
U1 / U2 presets on mode dial, wifi, flippy screen, weight/size, deep grip, image colour / tones straight out of camera, lower light AF system, faster fps, better low light SOOC, 24MP is also more than enough for me. So quite a bit.

You're quite right, these are all features not available on the D810, but I don't see them all as advantages.
U1/U2 presets, yes, they are brilliant.
wifi - no interest to me
flippy screen - maybe, but can live without it (although I agree it could be something I get used to?)
weight/size - I am the opposite on this one. I quite like bigger camera bodies, I've got big hands !
deep grip - agree, comfortable to hold, but I always have a grip attached anyway. no BBF button is a minus IMHO
image colour SOOC - I shoot raw, so they can be tweaked in LR.
Lower light AF - true, it is better on the 750, but TBH I have never had a problem with low light focus even on the D700. If I did, I used my SU- 800 on the camera.
That lets me Focus in pitch black then !
fps - I don't need speed, if I do, I can use the 700. But for people, not needed.
Better low light - agreed, 750 is brilliant, but the 810 isn't too shabby either.

As I said, I realise others will disagree, and that's fine too.
Each to their own and all.
I really wanted the D750 to be the one for me, as I have the cash for that now.

And no, I really am not trying to be argumentative here, just highlighting the fact that with all of the choices/features/technology available to us with these cameras, sometimes the actual choice is down to something not as easily defined.
Plus, I'm cr@p at making a decision !!!

You're quite right, these are all features not available on the D810, but I don't see them all as advantages.
wifi - no interest to me
flippy screen - maybe, but can live without it (although I agree it could be something I get used to?)
weight/size - I am the opposite on this one. I quite like bigger camera bodies, I've got big hands !
deep grip - agree, comfortable to hold, but I always have a grip attached anyway. no BBF button is a minus IMHO
Lower light AF - true, it is better on the 750, but TBH I have never had a problem with low light focus even on the D700. If I did, I used my SU- 800 on the camera.
fps - I don't need speed, if I do, I can use the 700. But for people, not needed.
Better low light - agreed, 750 is brilliant, but the 810 isn't too shabby either.

And no, I really am not trying to be argumentative here, just highlighting the fact that with all of the choices/features/technology available to us with these cameras, sometimes the actual choice is down to something not as easily defined.

I BBF using AEL.
I also shoot RAW but the colour for skintones ime is better and its not always easy to correct in post without effecting the other colours in the image.
I dont really want to add a flash to improve AF. Complicates things.
FPS with the D700 but then you lose all the benefits of the newer models so not quite that easy a fix, plus FPS depends on subject and what they are doing, and youll also have to decide which camera to use on the day or take both.

Yes, each to their own, thats why I said IMO in my original post.

wifi - no interest to me

I've used the flippy screen far more than I ever thought I would.

I toyed with the idea of my second body being a D810, but decided I didn't want to risk the moire issues for weddings that the lack of AA filter can present. That and the D750 feels perfect in my hand. Which I think can be the deciding factor for any of us.

Thanks for that. So there is no exposure lock available if you use the button for focusing?

I think you are right, i need to try one really.

Don't suppose there are any Swindon or west Oxfordshire based owners in here that would allow me to have a play with one?

i'm in the same quandary, currently using a D7000 which I've had since the day it was launched and just don't know which to get D750 or D810, how does the buffers compare - with my D7000 I am often waiting for it to write to the card after the dozen or show raw shots have filled the buffer.

Thanks for that. So there is no exposure lock available if you use the button for focusing?

Don't suppose there are any Swindon or west Oxfordshire based owners in here that would allow me to have a play with one?

Well depends, half press of the button locks exposure, or you can assign it to another button. I use BBF and have the function button as AE lock

i'm in the same quandary, currently using a D7000 which I've had since the day it was launched and just don't know which to get D750 or D810, how does the buffers compare - with my D7000 I am often waiting for it to write to the card after the dozen or show raw shots have filled the buffer.

Depends how much you machine gun really, and what speed cards you have in. It's not been a problem for me, but then I don't shoot that many in a row. Obviously the files are a lot bigger on the D750 as well. About the same size as your D7000 physically though, but with a deeper grip.

I have it assigned to the shutter button.

There are a few buttons you can customise plus button and command dial combos etc. I highly doubt you couldnt assign the camera buttons a way that suits you.

What are peoples thoughts on the 16-35mm f4 and 85mm f1.8 as a landscape combo?

Thanks.

I see a lot of 16-35 being sold and bought via the classifieds. That means its either poor or popular, depending on when you look. hth :D

Just had a phone call frome the bride who's pictures i did...

"I want to get a photobook made from Photobox. When i upload some of the photos they don't look very clear as if they're really low quality or taken with a really old camera. I can upload pics to it from my iPhone and they're fine..."

"Are they ok when you view them on your computer?"

"Yes"

:rolleyes:

FFS. Bridezilla. Doubt I'll be doing anymore weddings, they're more hassle than they're worth!

Thanks for the link @twist ;)

I uploaded some of my shots to Photobox the other week, to have a desk calendar made. They (the thumbnails) do look crap when uploaded, but the final result is absolutely fine. Photobox really aren't doing themselves any favours, I can see how the low-res thumbnails can put people off.

Seeing Stars by David Raynham, on Flickr

Nice shot. Great minds think alike (y) Although, I didn't go wondering around at 3am.
Taken in the back garden at around 9pm last night. 60 shots of 30 seconds at ISO 250. 90mm f2.8. Although it's better, you don't need a dark site. This was taken looking over towards south London. Startrails was used to make the final image with a few tweaks in LR5.

30 minute star trail by Lee Francis, on Flickr

I see a lot of 16-35 being sold and bought via the classifieds. That means its either poor or popular, depending on when you look. hth :D
The 16-35 is a good lens. I think the problem is it's a very wide focal length to wide focal length so for landscapes you need another longer lens in the bag. The problem then is its likely to be a 24-something lens so your gaining 8mm. It depends on your usage. There does seem to be several recent but before that it's not that often I've seen them. It's 77mm so takes filters well compared to the 14-24mm lens.

There also seems to be several D750s for sale recently too for some reason.

I would be pairing it with an 85mm so i thought it would be a good combo... I don't want anything heavier than that (70-200 etc) so it should keep my bag nice and light for winter excursions. 85mm offers a nice bit of compression too. I can always sell the 16-35 next year and buy another 24-70 if i feel the need.

Thanks for tip about photobox. I did say it will just probably be downsampled for demo purposes and to find the FAQ page to see if it mentions it.

Back