Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Proper rant about the buffer on this camera. My D90 just keeps shooting, no noticeable buffer limitation at all and it's, what, 4 years older than my D7100? you'd have thought camera memory tech would have moved on in that time, but I can get a 6 shot "burst" (and I don't even mean at 6fps - I just mean 6 shots in reasonably quick succession whilst doing a panorama for instance) from my D7100 before I hit the limit, then it's maybe 1 shot every 5 seconds, then 15 seconds waiting for it to process the buffer. ARGH!!!!!!!! Will turn NR off, as I've been advised that would make a difference, but it's my biggest disappointment with this camera and the one that will drive me to buy something new.
Settings count, as you say. It will do 5 fps till the card is full, with the right card and right settings. Depending on what you're trying to do, this might be enough without too much compromise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB63JY7ElZU

Hmm, there might be something to find in that video, that's for sure! Thanks! :D I shoot landscapes so need the quality over speed, so I don't need full on sports mode settings and looking at the vid, doubt I'll need to compromise too much, but it's just so frustrating to hit that buffer, especially when the D90 just keeps on going.

Ian, I've got 2 x Samsung Class 10 48MB/s cards, which were as fast as I could get at the time I bought the camera, but they're probably worth looking at too. Maybe I'll start with this as a quick, easy win...

Hmm, there might be something to find in that video, that's for sure! Thanks! :D I shoot landscapes so need the quality over speed, so I don't need full on sports mode settings and looking at the vid, doubt I'll need to compromise too much, but it's just so frustrating to hit that buffer, especially when the D90 just keeps on going.

Ian, I've got 2 x Samsung Class 10 48MB/s cards, which were as fast as I could get at the time I bought the camera, but they're probably worth looking at too. Maybe I'll start with this as a quick, easy win...

Ah, in that case I'm sure a faster memory card will make a huge difference, as Ian W suggests, and will probably be all you need to do. In case you're not aware, you need to make sure the quoted speed is the write speed; I got a supposed 90 MB/s card where that was the read speed, and in tiny font it said 45 MB/s write. 90MB/s write is night and day in comparison.

PS I also read today that in particular having auto distortion control and long exposure NR set to on make a difference to how long it takes the buffer to fill. Lost 1 frame to the latter and couldn't test the former.

Last edited:
Great sense of movement ... how did you find the AF?

I did struggle with the outer points but then I presumed they aren't cross hairs one. The centre ones seemed pretty good the conditions where rather awful a lot of the time, not as good as the D810 but for the price I more than happy with it.
Like I lot of people keep eyeing the D500 but I really doubt for me its going to be that much better, maybe next year when the price has dropped.
The thing I found surprising was I struggled not to blow the highlights on the odd occasion when the sun came out, image quality is very nice thought.

One taken at 1/400 sec at the same location as the first.

Hopper Oulton Park by Graham Norton, on Flickr

I did struggle with the outer points but then I presumed they aren't cross hairs one. The centre ones seemed pretty good the conditions where rather awful a lot of the time, not as good as the D810 but for the price I more than happy with it.
Like I lot of people keep eyeing the D500 but I really doubt for me its going to be that much better, maybe next year when the price has dropped.
The thing I found surprising was I struggled not to blow the highlights on the odd occasion when the sun came out, image quality is very nice thought.

No problems with the focus on that one!
I also get more blown highlights than I would like, I have just started to experiment with setting the camera's Picture Control to 'Flat' and running the images through Capture NX-D first ... early days but it looks promising and of course using Nikon's 'Picture Control Utility' you can adjust and setup your own Picture Control.

No problems with the focus on that one!
I also get more blown highlights than I would like, I have just started to experiment with setting the camera's Picture Control to 'Flat' and running the images through Capture NX-D first ... early days but it looks promising and of course using Nikon's 'Picture Control Utility' you can adjust and setup your own Picture Control.

Have to look into that a bit of a pain having to run them through Capture first though but nice to have options. So if you use Nikons picture control you still have to run them through Capture first?

I brought as a lighter alternative/back up to my D810 - I was running a Fuji XT-1 alongside the D810 but personally for me it made more sense just to have one system

Have to look into that a bit of a pain having to run them through Capture first though but nice to have options. So if you use Nikons picture control you still have to run them through Capture first?

I brought as a lighter alternative/back up to my D810 - I was running a Fuji XT-1 alongside the D810 but personally for me it made more sense just to have one system

Well I shoot in RAW and then run through Capture to read the Picture Control so I have two options, if I was shooting in jpeg then I wouldn't need to use Capture first, but I prefer having both options and as I don't do commercial work I am not under any time constraints or similar pressures :)

Nice tight crop Graham, love the vivid colours....! A cracker.

you're planning on getting a 500mm and I'm sure you'll want to do BIF shots. The d7100 will most likely let you down and the d7200 won't

How sure are you about this? Not being funny at all--I have a D7100 and am contemplating an upgrade for AF and ISO performance, but would appreciate some real world experience (from you or anyone) of the difference in AF between the two. (Or in the ISO come to that.) Are you talking specifically about the 500mm, or more generally? Sometimes on the 7100 the AF really catches BIFs well, sometimes I think it looks good in the viewfinder and it's a complete miss, this with either the 300mm f4+1.4 tc or the 200-500mm. But that could well be just my poor technique.

How sure are you about this? Not being funny at all--I have a D7100 and am contemplating an upgrade for AF and ISO performance, but would appreciate some real world experience (from you or anyone) of the difference in AF between the two. (Or in the ISO come to that.) Are you talking specifically about the 500mm, or more generally? Sometimes on the 7100 the AF really catches BIFs well, sometimes I think it looks good in the viewfinder and it's a complete miss, this with either the 300mm f4+1.4 tc or the 200-500mm. But that could well be just my poor technique.

The biggest and most significant of the changes from a D7100 were in performance aspects, through: sensor performance in deep shadows, buffer depth improvements, and autofocus speed and usefulness in low light.
Thom Hogan

It's not the AF I was talking about but the buffer. I don't have a d7100 and have never used one but I've heard that the buffer is way lower than on the 7200 so you can get less continuous shots as the buffer fills up too quickly.

It's not the AF I was talking about but the buffer. I don't have a d7100 and have never used one but I've heard that the buffer is way lower than on the 7200 so you can get less continuous shots as the buffer fills up too quickly.

Ah, right. OK.

After selling my D7200 a couple of months ago to purchase a Fuji, I've regretted the decision ever since... Fortunately, the Fuji's gone to a new home and another D7200 is on the way!

My Other Half has been shaking her head and saying 'I told you so' for nearly a day now! :D

After selling my D7200 a couple of months ago to purchase a Fuji, I've regretted the decision ever since... Fortunately, the Fuji's gone to a new home and another D7200 is on the way!

My Other Half has been shaking her head and saying 'I told you so' for nearly a day now! :D
Mines been saying that to me for years

Wow, well faster memory cards certainly did the trick! Samsung 20mb/s write (the 48mb/s was clearly the read speed) to samsung 90mb/s write seems to have transformed the camera without touching any settings at all! I guess I just assumed the camera would only cope with card speeds of a similar age but Nikon clearly covered that one! :D I also didn't really consider card tech moving on that much! So thanks all! I'm have a play around with the settings as well, as I'm not sure that NR seems worth it.

Wow, well faster memory cards certainly did the trick! Samsung 20mb/s write (the 48mb/s was clearly the read speed) to samsung 90mb/s write seems to have transformed the camera without touching any settings at all! I guess I just assumed the camera would only cope with card speeds of a similar age but Nikon clearly covered that one! :D I also didn't really consider card tech moving on that much! So thanks all! I'm have a play around with the settings as well, as I'm not sure that NR seems worth it.
I meant to ask, where'd you get the cards from as I'm in need of a couple of new ones myself?

If ISO and AF are what you are thinking of upgrading for I personally wouldn't bother. Upgrades to these in between model updates are not really worth it as the improvements are quite minimal between the update models. Where it's worth it is with major model updates like the d300 to d500 upgrade, a move from d3xxx/d5xxx models to a d7200 for the controls or if there is a problem holding you back like known problems like the severe back focusing on the early d7000 models.

With ISO there may be a very slight improvement but we are talking around 1/4 of a stop at best (check dxo tests), in real world situations you probably won't notice it. The buffer is larger on a D7200 so you can take more continuous shots before it fills but depending on how you shoot depends on whether this is an advantage to you. Sensor performance does seem good on the d7200 from my limited use but the d7100 is quite good too.

If you can find a well priced d7200 as people trade in for a d500 and you need the extra buffer it could be worth it but it's not going to be light years ahead of a d7100. If you really want better ISO and af upgrades then a move to a d750 is what's required to get it (plus the cost of fx lenses). Even looking at the move to d500 from a d7200 I can't see how it's worth it when a used d7200 is a third of the price of a d500, the d500 may be technically a better camera but for me it's not three times the better camera.

Nikon and other manufacturers rely on these online reviews to make people think/believe the newest model 'update' is a must have and all of a sudden the previous model is useless and must be upgraded. Most of the time it's just people repeating what they have heard/read and have no previous experience using the model they are commenting on. I honestly think in the last 3-4 years there have not been any bad spec cameras (quality control/models issues aside) as long as you use them within their capabilities. For most hobbyists a few frames per second slower (6 or 10 fps) or a smaller buffer probably isn't the end of the world.

Thanks for all that @rob-nikon . I'll probably do the upgrade anyway if/when second hand D7200s start appearing in numbers in the wake of the D500, but the more I use my current set-up the more I think it's me that needs fixing not the gear!

My 7200 arrived today and I am delighted with it, will take a little while to learn to drive it but oozes quality........:nikon:

Hi all,

Thinking of getting a camera grip for my D7000 but can't afford the Nikon one.

What are the best alternatives? I presume there's a quality variance thing...?

Looks like I'm going to be a regular here.

I had decided that Fuji was the way for me and sold my D7100 a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly today, and for no apparent reason, I've pressed the buy button on a new D7200 from HDEW.

Happy days - I hope.

You'll love it

Hi all,

I've got a generic one which got me by for a few years until I got a genuine Nikon one. Quality is entirely different as the generic grip is made of plastic and the dials feel cheap like an entry level Canon, whereas the genuine MB-D11 is Magnesium Alloy like the camera body. Weight is a bit more being metal too.

Don't know if all the generic grips are alike but maybe some others who have tried them can offer their input?

Hi all,

Hiya Si, you still doing the '52s? I keep meaning to call in but scared I'll get dragged back into it :D

I have a Mieke grip that I got from the classifieds on here. I didn't actually buy it but was asked to donate to a charity in exchange for the grip. Without looking that's got to be nearly twelve months ago.

I seem to do very little else but birds these days meaning the grip hasn't been off the camera apart from the odd sunset., I've been very pleased with it, no problems and still going strong :)

atb, Phil

Last edited:
Thanks all - I was tending towards Meike, but I thought I'd ask.

It turns out, however, that my Park Cameras had a used Nikon one in stock and in excellent condition. They could give it to me for £60, instead of their advertised £79, so chuffed with that and it's free next day delivery, which is just in time for my photography day!

Hiya Si, you still doing the '52s? I keep meaning to call in but scared I'll get dragged back into it :D

No, I stopped after the first year as was spending time on model trains instead. There are some cracking images in there this year though and I keep meaning to do my own 52 week challenge.

Should be with you guys soon - delivery expected Monday. HDEW don't do speedy delivery, downside to grey I suppose.

Have read the manual 83 times just need to get the camera in my hands now. Spare battery from the D7100 is on charge so can hit the ground running.

Is there a pro way of enlarging the eyecup on the D7200? As a speccy four eyes I'd prefer an eyecup that stands away from the body a bit. I did have one (from America I think - paid in dollars anyway) on the D7100 but that always seemed a bit pikey and kept coming off.

Kind of new here but thought I would add a post here, I use the Nikon D7200 and while a beginner still, its a really awesome camera

Kind of new here but thought I would add a post here, I use the Nikon D7200 and while a beginner still, its a really awesome camera

Welcome, although I'm probably not qualified to welcome you yet.

I'm coming over from a D7100 on Monday I hope. I don't think there will be a massive difference but reading the manual there are one or two things I cant wait to explore.

My mate's just got the D7200 and I was showing him all the various options as it's obviously very similar to my D750 in function but I couldn't find a way to set ISO to the record button, can it be done? Also I couldn't find how to display the histogram during liveview, how do I do this? I could scroll through different displays such as grid, virtual horizon etc but no histogram.

@snerkler.

I noticed on the D750 page you came up with a round eyecup conversion - do you know if the same bits work on the D7200?

Regards
Neil.
The original D750 eyecup is the DK-21 so if this is the same for the D7200 then the conversion would be the same (in theory ;))

Back