Nikon D7xxx owners thread

@snerkler.

I noticed on the D750 page you came up with a round eyecup conversion - do you know if the same bits work on the D7200?

Regards
Neil.

I think I took note of that post, can't remember, however whatever I did purchase does fit the 7200.
You have to keep an eye on it though as it can loosen, a drop of appropriate glue on the thread would help, I just keep a check on mine.

Tom. Thanks for the pics, that's exactly how I want mine to come out. Looks like the only unknown is the final connection to the body. May have to take a chance.

Tom. Thanks for the pics, that's exactly how I want mine to come out. Looks like the only unknown is the final connection to the body. May have to take a chance.
There's no other connector piece listed on the Nikon site so unless there's a third party one you may have to just make the Dk-22 fit unfortunately.

Just brought one of these to go with my Sigma 150-600C. I needed that extra reach that my D750 did not give me. loving it , and the controls are the same as the D750. so easy to work.

woodhorne b 010.jpg

Is there much difference in quality between a 600mm shot on the7200 and a cropped 600mm shot on the 750?
I asked the same on the D750 thread as I've been toying with getting a D7200 for wildlife.

What was the answer?
Didn't get one until......... (Although from a different member).

From what I can see there is virtually no dif, its just the extra reach. And both being the same MP I prefer the 7200 on the Sigma..
Thanks, but that was the question :p Stood in the same spot the D750 would have to be cropped heavily (to 10mp) to match the DX frame so we're wanting to know if the 24mp D7200 image would look better than the 10mp D750 image?

There's been discussion on a thread (maybe this one) where people have said that the cropped FF image would still look better than a full res DX image, but I can't see it myself. I will try it for myself when my camera comes back from Nikon so will post my thoughts then (y)

Last edited:

Carmarthen Cameras have confirmed the DK 22 is compatible with the D7200 so it does look like this set up will work.

I do like the look of this (especially the price) but it looks as though its a magnifier, could you please confirm.

It is a magnifier, I had the genuine Nikon one but tbh I prefer the normal view.

Looks like I'm going to be a regular here.

I had decided that Fuji was the way for me and sold my D7100 a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly today, and for no apparent reason, I've pressed the buy button on a new D7200 from HDEW.

Happy days - I hope.

Well, the camera arrived on Monday and to say I'm blown away with the quality of the images produced so far would be an understatement. It could be because I was limited to a Fuji X30 for a couple of weeks but the D7200 seems to be streets ahead of the D7100 which at the time of owning I thought was pretty good.

Going on a 3 week vacation later today and had decided to travel light and just pack the Fuji - not any more though. Think Tank Airport whatever its called is packed to bursting point with Nikon goodies and ready for the off. I've also vowed to stay off the beer on occasion for some proper toggin. :)

Just received all of the above (3 parts) and can confirm it does all fit the D7200 perfectly. Ideal for BBF, saves poking your thumb in your eye or in my case pushing my specs off.

Thanks @snerkler.

Mines arrived, shame I'm working over seas for another two weeks so can't play with it. :crying:. I've still got £300 in the PayPal that the wife doesn't need to know about, looking to get a nice lens, already got 18-140, 35 and 55-300. Any suggestions of what works well with this camera?. Open to all different types :)

Mines arrived, shame I'm working over seas for another two weeks so can't play with it. :crying:. I've still got £300 in the PayPal that the wife doesn't need to know about, looking to get a nice lens, already got 18-140, 35 and 55-300. Any suggestions of what works well with this camera?. Open to all different types :)
Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 if you're wanting a short zoom.

I'm using a 35mm and 85mm prime lens and producing pleasing results. Also have a Tokina 11-16 but haven't been interesting in landscapes recently. All great lens on this camera. I'm in the market for a longer zoom now - maybe a 105mm or 300mm. It would be good to cover macro and some wildlife.

To change the topic, I am developing a niggle with the D7200 tho ... To save time in lightroom/editing (as it bores me), I try my best to delete unsatisfactory shots in-camera and on location. I find the delete UI to be pretty laggy and it's starting to annoy me. In fact I've been half thinking of full frame; for a faster UI.

I have my sisters wedding in November so that lens could tie in nicely. Thank you. :)

Heard some using Meike but I haven't bought a grip yet. :)

Any recommendations for a L plate for the 7200?
I've not got one on the d7200 but the sunwayfoto L bracket I have on the d750 is pretty good. I've had kirk and RRS(second hand as new prices are crazy) L brackets in the past but they are expensive for what they are and I honestly haven't seen a difference with the sunwayfoto one compared to the Kirk or RRS.

I've not got one on the d7200 but the sunwayfoto L bracket I have on the d750 is pretty good. I've had kirk and RRS(second hand as new prices are crazy) L brackets in the past but they are expensive for what they are and I honestly haven't seen a difference with the sunwayfoto one compared to the Kirk or RRS.

Sunwayfoto is very good and an excellent supplier and I've used then for all before the D7200, surprisingly I found a little £9.99 universal job from eBay works fine on the D7200 for me.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone still following this thread has upgraded from their D7000 to anything else?

In the main I've been really happy with mine, perhaps it is still user/technique error but on some occasions I am still not entirely convinced by its focussing. Given time to setup up a shoot and tweak the parameters at leisure there is no problem but for quick "snapshots" it's often a little touch and go as to whether the focus is quite right....maybe I pixel peep too much ;)

Anyway I've been eye-ing up the D7200 but also the new D500. I am aware the latter is very pricey in comparison.

I have read a lot about the D500 but honestly so many opinions don't know exactly what to think. I seems perhaps a little more oriented towards sports and wildlife. Whilst I do some wildlife I don't really do sports and the rest of my shooting I would say are a mix of landscape, outdoor, mainly natural lighting and portraits.

So interested to hear opinions on these from anyone else who has upgraded and if you have any comparison shots against the d7000 all the better :)

Thanks.
Chris

Last edited:
Having all three,7000,7200 & 500. If you are doing sport it has to be the 500. 200 shoots in 20 sec without buffering, then the AF just knocks everything out the ballpark not much more I can say.

The only down fall is the Wifi side of things, but hoping that will be mostly sorted by end of month, oh and no third party batteries will work in it .

Last edited:
Having all three,7000,7200 & 500. If you are doing sport it has to be the 500. 200 shoots in 20 sec without buffering, then the AF just knocks everything out the ballpark not much more I can say.

The only down fall is the Wifi side of things, but hoping that will be mostly sorted by end of month, oh and no third party batteries will work in it .

Really? I thought d500 was the en-el15? Can't see why only Nikon version of that would work there are loads of third party ones including the likes of Duracell out there.

How do you think the 7200 and 500 compare for the same type of shooting or are you using them for totally different things? And would the 7200 be as significant a step change from the 7000 as I would hope? (Without back focussing issues?.....the AF auto tuning of the d500 sounds very tempting too!)

Just wondering if anyone still following this thread has upgraded from their D7000 to anything else?

Hiya Chris, I've just upgraded to a D7200,

I'm shooting 90% birds, AF tracking is a big improvement, definitely in low light and I wasn't particularly unhappy with the D7000 (y)

I've had a quick look through the VF of a mates D500, (it had to be quick, any longer and I'd have bought one! :D) the over all performance was amazing but felt I couldn't justify the money.

The other plus is better ISO performance with the D7200, I've been happy with shots up to 5000 and could probably stand higher (y) cheers

Last edited:
I have a D7100 and wondered whether to upgrade to D7200 or break the bank and go for the D500. I shoot 90% sport - £1200 difference in 2nd hand D7200 and the D500

Are your pics bad? Can you not get the shots you want?
I suppose I'm happy with the sports ones I take. It's that, " I wonder if ...?" Not a pro, it isn't my job .... be happy with what you do.
My main worry would be coming back from a race with far more images than I really want to go through. Need to step back. I'd love a go with the D500 though.

Local park run - holding my dog with my knees while leaning over the fence.

Barnsley Park Run 13.8.16-307-Edit.jpg

So how would spunking the best part of £1800 improve on what you get now if you're managing to capture the shots you set out to get?

£1800 is a shed load of cash. Well, it is to me at least. Haha.

That's the question for me I think.
Is it worth that much more over the 7200 for what I photograph? Not sure. And the 7200 could well be replaced by a 7300/7400 relatively soon which would then make the 500 harder to justify

Back