Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have a Tamron 70-300 vc. Possibly a 7200 and the new 16-80 f2.7-4e (to replace 18-105 kit lens) would be better for me than splashing the cash on the d500. Still if that's my thinking how long would we be waiting for further nikon announcements on a 7200 replacement I wonder?

Big zoom no good for me, too much weight. Camera and prime in rucksack to reach positons on the moors and Dales. I agree with siblingchris and might go for the D7200.

I suspect I would plump for that option myself, f2.8 is a beast!

I use primes for "lightness" - 35mm to include the landscape and 50 or 85 for closer shots. I always try to include "where" people are running rather than a close cropped portrait shot which could be anywhere.

Ian Roberts 2016-18.jpg

Ian Roberts 2016-12.jpg

So if money were no object and the d7200 and d500 exactly the price, which would be the one to go for?

I hear people saying that the d500 is like a d7200 but with features improved that better fit sport and nature photography? Is that true or is it not so good as the d7200 in other areas? Price always seems to come into consideration but if based upon capability and actual photo results (not a tech list for of features), then which wins? Which would be the best all rounder?

When I shoot runners, I invariably take 3 or 4 shots of each runner and choose the best one. They either appear to be running on one leg or hardly moving OR they seem to have levitated their body. Eyes closed, silly expressions also come into play. My biggest fear is that I'll shoot even MORE of each runner and come back with twice the number of images to choose from. 200 runners in next Monday's race - 800 or so shots. D500 in my hand .......?
The buffer on the D7200 is better than the D7100 (unless I'm mistaken). Quite a few of my races are in winter or late in the evening when the light is poor. Having to shoot at ISO3200 isn't my favourite thing. How do the D7100 and 7200 compare at ISO 3200 and above?
So, runners - high shutter speed needed, low light. Worth paying £1,200 for when it is my hobby?

Did I say it was all about MP? There is plenty of talk about it on the net, plenty of tests and comparisons... Research it for yourself and pick the camera that suits your needs.

No you didn't say that. Hence I asked to seek clarification: ;)

I've read so much on the net I don't know what to think. A lot of what people write seems to want to justify their own personal choice. I've at least got as far as knowing I want to stick with DX over FX :)

Guys, Im currently using a D300 and want to upgrade the body.

Really want to go to a 500 but the jump is a bit too far with current financial plans.

Thinking of buying a 7200 to use for while until the 500 price drops.

Is it any good ?

Anything Id miss from the 300 ?

You'll love it Mark, that's the simple answer.

I've had it from the beginning of the year and it's performed without fault.

Finally got around to using my D7000 more yesterday. Went to Duxford airshow and took a lot of pictures. Never been good at moving objects specially fast moving but so far it looks like I have a good keeper rate.

Seems to have put my GAS idea of switching to Micro 4/3rds at rest for a little while longer

I'm looking to buy a Nikon 16-80mm Lens. I know that it is sometimes offered as a kit lens with the D7200 so if anyone has it and is thinking about selling then please let me know.

Not sure if I'm missing the obvious here but when I set the camera to use the shutter remote, after a short time, possibly only a minute, it will go back to shutter button only :confused:.....and I have to re-set it in the menu.

Should it not stay in the remote release mode until the cameras tuned off or settings are changed?

Can't understand why they didn't just leave it on the command dial like the D7000 :banghead:, cheers

Edit.......And again technology has won :D

I searched all over in the menus last night trying to find what was wrong, this morning I've picked up the camera ( after posting:rolleyes:) and gone straight to the menu where I have the option to set the amount of time the remote stays active.........it was set to 1 minute :oops: :$.......:D

Last edited:
Unless I really am missing the obvious, nope:)

Just a question for D7200 owners - can I ask why you went for the D7200 over the D610 ?

After selling my D7200 a couple of months ago to purchase a Fuji, I've regretted the decision ever since... Fortunately, the Fuji's gone to a new home and another D7200 is on the way!

My Other Half has been shaking her head and saying 'I told you so' for nearly a day now! :D
I hope your other half keeps telling you this for a week, you should never down grade on a great camera, ive been looking at the new Nikon d500 and I would not even change the d7100 witch I have or the d7200 for that camera, we both have great camera's so let us stick with them, your better half has good taste.

Carmarthen Cameras have confirmed the DK 22 is compatible with the D7200 so it does look like this set up will work.

I do like the look of this (especially the price) but it looks as though its a magnifier, could you please confirm.
I have the same one as mark, the zoom viewfinder 1.08-1.60x its a better one.

Having used the grip a bit now, it's great to hold the camera now but I keep missing the view finder with my eye! It's somewhat lower in portrait mode than I expect - I need to get used to that.

A grip came with my D7200, can't use it ... drives me mad. My D7000 has THOUSANDS of clicks on it but I still love it.

@ian-83 what's up with yours?

Not sure if I have the focus issues with mine. Tried all sorts but can't seem to get it better. Dunno whether to send it to Nikon or accept defeat and ask the boss for a 7200

Back