Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Just completed a the purchase of a D7000, hopefully here by the end of the week :D

Will be fun to play with, hopefully the missus won't notice the difference between the D3100 and the D7000

You'll be Dale d7000 now !! Enjoy - If the missus won't notice I certainly hope you will .

Not sure I can get a name change, should of thought about that.

edIT: Name changed, no longer a problem :)

Last edited:
Most annoyed that Jessops have had no stock of the 35mm f/1.8 in any of my local stores for collection since the day my Jessops vouchers arrived. Clearly a conspiracy!

Just to make it seem worse, I got bought the 35mm for Christmas by my girlfriend. What a cracker, I almost feel alittle silly for going 2 years of Nikon ownership without one.

It even survived a New Year's Eve splashing of champagne (something that didn't exactly put me in the best of moods to start the year!)

My only problem now is I'm falling in love with primes again and want a nice 85mm 1.8 to complement the range!

I had 35mm for my D60, but sold it to fund a 50 when I got my D7000. Wish I'd kept the 35, it's a great lens. May have to buy another...

Dale_tem, congrats! Care to share where you puchased from? :D

I've also got this issue where I can't decide if I want a 35mm or a 50mm. Any advice?

ohms12 said:

I've also got this issue where I can't decide if I want a 35mm or a 50mm. Any advice?

Quite simple. If you are going to take a fair amount of photos indoors get the 35mm. If nearly everything your going to photograph is outdoors get the 50mm.

I have the 35mm and love it, can be had second hand for near enough £100 so for me it makes it a better value lens than the 50mm, so fast focusing and pin sharp!

dan_yorkshire said:
Quite simple. If you are going to take a fair amount of photos indoors get the 35mm. If nearly everything your going to photograph is outdoors get the 50mm.

I wouldn't say it's that simple! Depends on the type of shots you expect to use it for
If you are thinking a portrait lens, then you comment I think makes sense because outside you'll have more space to get in the right position, inside the 35mm would be easier because you can be closer in tighter spaces for the same view

However, as a more general purpose lens the 35mm wider angle may also suit better outside non-portrait photos in my opinion..for close ups, doesn't matter whether you are in or out I guess...as I said depends what you are shooting

I am planning on doing my 52 as much as poss with a 35mm so I guess I'll found out how versatile it is!

I've had both the 50 f1.8 and 35 f1.8 on my D7000 and preferred the 35mm by far but as suggested above, it depends on what you want to shoot. Very much personal preference but if I was buying again I would get the 35 every time.
Pin sharp and very fast focussing.

ohms12 said:

Don't listen to the others, the answer is really simply. Get both :)

siblingchris said:
I wouldn't say it's that simple! Depends on the type of shots you expect to use it for.

It does yeah, I just had my portrait head on as that's what I photograph.

Best thing would be to spend a day with a kit lens or mid range zoom taped into the 35mm position and another day with it taped onto the 50mm position. You'll soon find out which restricts you most.

I picked up the body only from eBay, already have a longish list of lenses.

As for 35mm v 50mm, I think they are a little overrated. I've had my 35mm for 2 years, but only used it 10 times or so.

It depends what you shoot, but I find my Sigma 17-70mm so much more flexible that I only end up switching to the 35mm when light demands it.

As I said, it depends what you shoot, try shooting at both focal lengths on your kits lens and see how you get on.

Last edited:
Dale_tem said:
As for 35mm v 50mm, I think they are a little overrated. I've had my 35mm for 2 years, but only used it 10 times or so.

I personally think they are the complete opposite of overrated, just because you don't use them very often means they don't suit your shooting not that they're not great for the money.

dan_yorkshire said:
I personally think they are the complete opposite of overrated, just because you don't use them very often means they don't suit your shooting not that they're not great for the money.

I didn't say they weren't great for the money, but this forum seems to suggest that they are a requirement which I think they aren't.

I know it doesn't suit my shooting as I don't use it ;)

Hence why I said what I said :)

Just purchased my D7000 will be here today, step up from my d3200 , cant wait to have a play

I didn't say they weren't great for the money, but this forum seems to suggest that they are a requirement which I think they aren't.

I know it doesn't suit my shooting as I don't use it ;)

Hence why I said what I said :)

I'm with you on that one...I have the 50mm and have a sigma 30mm 1.4...And I wouldn't say either is essential. I think either and other prime focal lengths are fun because they are primes. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to walk around and have a fixed prime and work with it for my style that time...Other times I would be severely limited..

Personally I don't get the low light useful ness either, but I guess it depends on style...I mean f1.8 (or even worse at f1.4) are great to let more light in...however dof is waiver thin as well so nailing focus (when the focus system is working less optimum as it does anyway) of moving target is not easy. Nor would I want an f1.4/1.8 dof either. A good flash for me is much more useful generally...

So in short, yes I agree they are not essential. I would suggest to any 'newbies' is to develop your own style first and see what you like...And like anything, they are a tool in the back which is great for some situations and not for others...

I appreciate no one lens is essential or a certain requirement to all but you claimed they were overrated. If someone is in need of a fast prime then these lenses are far from overrated.

For me the 35mm is essential in my bag for portraits indoors where I need an extra stop of light over my 2.8 mid zoom and want to use natural light rather than flash.

Last edited:
Now I have a quiet period, I want to get my d7k in for calibration ( all my lenses are at minus 20 focus adjust ). How do I go about this under Nikon warranty ?

Couple of things on the D7000, which due to weather and time restraints, I haven't been able to use as much as I'd like yet :(...

Moving from a D5000, I'm struggling to get the 35 1.8 lens to focus quick enough indoors when taking a picture of my little boy etc. It didn't seem to be this difficult with the D5000 and it now tends to get other items in focus more than his face! Are there any particular focus modes you'd recommend, as I'm using the 1-point focus, is that struggling to be precise under indoor light?

Also, can anybody recommend a Hoya circular polariser they use on this camera (or any other really). Wondering whether to spend £20 on the standard Hoya, £40 on the Pro-1 or £50+ on the HD version? I'd like to use it on landscape shots and slower shutter sky/seascapes and wonder whether the extra money spent is worth it in results?

Couple of things on the D7000, which due to weather and time restraints, I haven't been able to use as much as I'd like yet :(...

Moving from a D5000, I'm struggling to get the 35 1.8 lens to focus quick enough indoors when taking a picture of my little boy etc. It didn't seem to be this difficult with the D5000 and it now tends to get other items in focus more than his face! Are there any particular focus modes you'd recommend, as I'm using the 1-point focus, is that struggling to be precise under indoor light?

Also, can anybody recommend a Hoya circular polariser they use on this camera (or any other really). Wondering whether to spend £20 on the standard Hoya, £40 on the Pro-1 or £50+ on the HD version? I'd like to use it on landscape shots and slower shutter sky/seascapes and wonder whether the extra money spent is worth it in results?

If you are in AF-S Single Point, then if he moves after you have focussed then he would be out of focus ;)

Try AF-C, or be quicker :)

If you are in AF-S Single Point, then if he moves after you have focussed then he would be out of focus ;)

Try AF-C, or be quicker :)

Well, he is a quick little bugger! Will never stand still when I have my camera out :LOL:

Would AF-S with more active focus points be an option? I guess with a shallow depth of field it's going to be a bit hit and miss under low light anyway?

I guess it's a just a matter of personal preference, as I fall into this camp too. I really tried to like it, but ultimately found it to be a bit of a one trick pony. Sure it's sharp, but not at its best at 1.8, which kind of negated it for indoors, when wide open is required. I also find the DOF at 1.8 a bit limiting... I mean, you can only take so many sharp eyes/blurry ears shots, can't you?

I picked up a Sigma 18-50 2.8 for £140 in the classifieds here, and from that point on the 35mm never saw the camera again. For me it's better all round. I will give the 50mm a crack sometime, as I'd be a fool never to try it, but for me the 35mm is consigned to the 'not for me' pile.

Well, he is a quick little bugger! Will never stand still when I have my camera out :LOL:

Would AF-S with more active focus points be an option? I guess with a shallow depth of field it's going to be a bit hit and miss under low light anyway?

I tried the full monty all focus points, af-a with 3d tracking the other day. Normally spit focus and manually select the focus point but this worked really well until really low light.
Used a centre point to lock focus on the eye nearest the camera then ut tracks it across the screen, even when you rotate the camera. Really impressive and it does work. Will be playing with this more often.

I'm with you on that one...I have the 50mm and have a sigma 30mm 1.4...And I wouldn't say either is essential. I think either and other prime focal lengths are fun because they are primes. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to walk around and have a fixed prime and work with it for my style that time...Other times I would be severely limited..

Personally I don't get the low light useful ness either, but I guess it depends on style...I mean f1.8 (or even worse at f1.4) are great to let more light in...however dof is waiver thin as well so nailing focus (when the focus system is working less optimum as it does anyway) of moving target is not easy. Nor would I want an f1.4/1.8 dof either. A good flash for me is much more useful generally...

So in short, yes I agree they are not essential. I would suggest to any 'newbies' is to develop your own style first and see what you like...And like anything, they are a tool in the back which is great for some situations and not for others...

I think this discussion has helped me. Been stuck on 35mm 1.8 DX vs a 2.8 standard zoom. Think I've finally ruled out the 35mm. A 17-55 2.8 would better suit me and be worthy of the extra time to save up, or maybe opt for a Tamron.

I have no interest in FX for now as my main interest is wildlife where the crop helps me, so a good DX lens is a sensible investment.

I guess it's a just a matter of personal preference, as I fall into this camp too. I really tried to like it, but ultimately found it to be a bit of a one trick pony. Sure it's sharp, but not at its best at 1.8, which kind of negated it for indoors, when wide open is required. I also find the DOF at 1.8 a bit limiting... I mean, you can only take so many sharp eyes/blurry ears shots, can't you?

I picked up a Sigma 18-50 2.8 for £140 in the classifieds here, and from that point on the 35mm never saw the camera again. For me it's better all round. I will give the 50mm a crack sometime, as I'd be a fool never to try it, but for me the 35mm is consigned to the 'not for me' pile.

LOL Indeed (y)

Well it seems Jessops have just got a load more stock in of the 35mm f/1.8. I'm collecting one tomorrow from Fenchurch Street which is only a mile form work and all the stores near my home are getting them on the 7th.

I'm on the verge of buying a D7000 and this thread has proved to be very useful. Just deciding on which lens to buy with it.

The prices seem to have dropped nicely in the pass couple of months, i cant see it dropping now until the D7100 / D300 replacement is released / announced.

I'm on the verge of buying a D7000 and this thread has proved to be very useful. Just deciding on which lens to buy with it.

The prices seem to have dropped nicely in the pass couple of months, i cant see it dropping now until the D7100 / D300 replacement is released / announced.

All depends on what you intend to shoot?

All depends on what you intend to shoot?

A bit of everything really... I would like to buy either a 18 - 105 Kit lens or the 16 - 85 lens with the camera. This would be my walkabout lens.

I'd also like to buy a 35mm 1.8G price, this would be my portrait / low light lens. Seems to be quite a bargain from reading reviews.

The above would get me started, later in the year i would like a nice wide angle lens for landscapes and 70 - 300 VR lens for motorsports.

This may all change when i actually buy my camera.

Currently Jessops is looking very good on price, i have considered a grey import but i have my reservations.

I've got to the end of the month to decide what to buy.

A bit of everything really... I would like to buy either a 18 - 105 Kit lens or the 16 - 85 lens with the camera. This would be my walkabout lens.

I'd also like to buy a 35mm 1.8G price, this would be my portrait / low light lens. Seems to be quite a bargain from reading reviews.

The above would get me started, later in the year i would like a nice wide angle lens for landscapes and 70 - 300 VR lens for motorsports.

This may all change when i actually buy my camera.

Currently Jessops is looking very good on price, i have considered a grey import but i have my reservations.

I've got to the end of the month to decide what to buy.

Your lens selection should cover you for almost everything!
You may wish to consider a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 as your general purpose!
Personally i love it on my D7000 and having that f2.8 available is a big plus for me!

Your lens selection should cover you for almost everything!
You may wish to consider a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 as your general purpose!
Personally i love it on my D7000 and having that f2.8 available is a big plus for me!

I keep hearing about the Tamron 17 - 50 F2.8, i'll have a look into it. Thanks :)

Thanks for all the advice! I've got a 18-200 VR II as my all purpose sort of lens, but i'd like a faster prime as well, especially for low light. Just got me thinking about using a 35/50mm on a cropped sensor. I don't really do portraiture, so don't think i'd use the 50mm much. I'm probably better with the 35mm.

Can't decided between the Tamron 17-50 or the Nikon 16-85 as my walkabout lens. Will be used mostly on holidays and days out.

Anyone tried both and have an opinion? If I was to get the 16-85 I would get the 35mm 1.8g for indoor and low light use.

Last edited:
I have just ordered by D7000 from Panamoz. It will replace my D3100, which I will sell with the kit lens. At first it will be married up to my 35mm 1.8 and a 55-300, but I aim to get the Tamron 17-50 (assuming I can find one at the right price) or a Sigma if I find an absolute bargain. Long term aim - replace the 55-300 as it is too slow to AF.

I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive.

Back