Nikon D7xxx owners thread

just use delete button

Shaun, thank you, its so easy when you know how :D

I think I tried every combination of buttons......just not delete on it own :oops: :$:D

just to be sure if you reduce your resolution to 16mp you then have a x2 magnification rather than the normal 1.5 ?????
if that is true do you loose more light due to the f stop altering ??
thanks

Hotly, using 1.3 crop mode gives you a 16mp image but does not alter your exposure in any way. It's a very effective way of 'increasing' the focal length of your lens. it crops the picture but 'enlarges' the image in camera to replicate a longer focal length or field of view.

I have a D700 and D7100 and D300 ......... after using the FX D700 for bird photography where big crops are the order of the day I can say that the DX extra reach is just an illusion .... it is a "digital" crop ...... any improvement in IQ can only be achieved with glass, IMHO

I can now understand why Nikon are only producing semi pro and pro cameras with a FX sensor whether it be 24 meg or 36 meg

I have a D700 and D7100 and D300 ......... after using the FX D700 for bird photography where big crops are the order of the day I can say that the DX extra reach is just an illusion .... it is a "digital" crop ...... any improvement in IQ can only be achieved with glass, IMHO

I can now understand why Nikon are only producing semi pro and pro cameras with a FX sensor whether it be 24 meg or 36 meg

Im not sure I'm with you totally on that one Bill, I too have the D7100 and D700, the files from the D7100 at low iso's spank the D700 imho, theres an acuity to them thats not there with the older sensor. Personally for my bird and wildlife photography I prefer as many pixels as i can on the subject, also in real terms the D7100 gives me 2 stops over the D700 at longer focal lengths. Having said that I wouldn't be without the D700 for many other types of photography.

im looking for a rear screen cover preferably the hard plastic type
i have only seen glass ones
anyone know where to get it ??

cheers

I never bother anyone …….. if you buy the camera to sell, then maybe …… but how much extra would it be worth anyway ……. if you use your gear well it will get marked

same with protection filters - never bothered for years

I haven't bothered with my D7100 but have a CCS glass one on my D300 (plus the nikon plastic on the D80). I am not sure if the glass one is worth it. It does cause visibility issues in bright light plus is now cracked where I banged it against something. I guess it might have prevent the camera screen being broken but am not sure.......

This D7000 spot has gone very very quiet, last posting in November last year, has everyone moved on to other models or have you all exhausted the 7000's capabilities?

I've moved on

Gone to Fuji X-T1 as DSLR was getting left at home, in car or taken but not used out on family trips.

The week after my last post, the camera was sent off to a Nikon repair centre for oil spots on the sensor, got it back Christmas eve which was a pleasant surprise, they told me it wouldn't be returned until the New Year. Then with one thing or another, the weather being one :banghead:, I can't say I've used it a great deal.

The good news is, the repair was FOC as the D7000 is on recall because of the fault and a new shutter release mechanism was fitted, I thought they were only fitting new seals :) (thought this might be handy to know for other users)

The few times I've managed to get out I've been happy, it seems to handle noise at higher ISO better than the D3100, but talking of ISO, I'm a little disappointed that you can't allocate the FN button to ISO, I find it a little more awkward having to use the specific button on the rear whilst looking through the viewfinder.

Since buying mine I have noticed some mix reviews, but over all, I think its definitely been a good upgrade from the D3100 (y)

Still got mine, I went with the adage of investing in glass first before changing the body. Still loving it and its still a very capable camera but I am getting drawn to to the D750 and I think one will be mine at some point this year. The D7000 will still be in my bag though.

Phil-D

Use easy ISO mode in Aperture priority. Two wheels become aperture and iso. That would help you

Cheers

I bought mine from this forum but came late to the party just as new models were about to be launched so I feel I haven't had the mileage out of mine yet and feel committed to it for the foreseeable future. I bet I make the same mistake when I AM ready to step up and make the same error of judgement AGAIN, always the bridesmaid.

Still got mine, about two years since bought out of classifieds just after 7100 came out. Don't think I've outgrown it at all, still think it's great.

But with 7200 rumored, maybe I will go 7000>7100 when everyone else upgrades to 7200.

Always one step behind, can't afford a new body like that. :)

Same for me held off for long enough and upgraded from D50 to D7000 about 6 months ago, this will be with me for years to come

Phew, Phew and Phew --- good job I'm retired with time on my hands -- I needed it to read through this thread from the start -- which I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought my D7000 a few days ago and could return if I wanted (DSR) but so far feel I've made the right decision -- however a question regarding lens compatibility which I guess is to do with focus compatibility (sorry not another idiot with focus related questions).

I have a Nikon 35mm 1.8 and get the distinct impression that the D7000 doesn't really like it too much from reading this thread and others. So do I get a 50mm 1.8 but will it be the same -- being a prime? One of my thoughts had been to sell my 35mm and get a Nikon 40mm macro, or Sigma 50mm macro not so much for macro (because of too close working distance) but to double up as a low light but be able to focus in closer than either the 35 or 50mm.

Help would be good?

Always one step behind, can't afford a new body like that. :)

I admire your honesty - the same as me but I've come in very late but at £400 for the body I was tempted.

This D7000 spot has gone very very quiet, last posting in November last year, has everyone moved on to other models or have you all exhausted the 7000's capabilities?
Mine was stolen :(

Hi John, my d7k was awesome with the 35mm prime. Never had any issues at all with it and it was super quick to focus which was usually spot on. If you find some of my pics on here and go through my photostream, you will find loads of pics from this combination.

Recently sold mine, not sure if I made a mistake or not. I swapped for size issues, but tbh, I kind of miss the bulk and ease of use. I can see a d7100 on the horizon I believe.

Have fun with your new toy John, it can be a super performer!

Last edited:
I upgraded to a D810. Still have the D7k as I was hoping to get the OH into photography but shes having non of it.

Which is lucky I guess. She's taken some pretty decent shots with the phone, When I've failed with nikon

Hi John, my d7k was awesome with the 35mm prime. Never had any issues at all with it and it was super quick to focus which was usually spot on. If you find some of my pics on here and go through my photostream, you will find loads of pics from this combination.

Recently sold mine, not sure if I made a mistake or not. I swapped for size issues, but tbh, I kind of miss the bulk and ease of use. I can see a d7100 on the horizon I believe.

Have fun with your new toy John, it can be a super performer!

I have a D5100 which I will be selling and apart from reading the whooooole of this thread I have read the manual watched loads of YouTube stuff and am determined to be as well prepared as possible! I read something then fine tune the settings, then read something else, then fine fine tune them and ---- on it goes!!!!

I do regularly look at your Flickr and admire your stuff especially your favourite model who is absolutely so full of character - Lily.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey, thanks. Now you're local to me, if you want a hand then just give us a shout and I'll have a wander over.

You'll love it imo, it's so much easier to use than the 3 and 5 thousand series cameras. Most things are on the body and easily accessed without delving into menus etc.

Hey, thanks. Now you're local to me, if you want a hand then just give us a shout and I'll have a wander over.

You'll love it imo, it's so much easier to use than the 3 and 5 thousand series cameras. Most things are on the body and easily accessed without delving into menus etc.

I agree I came from a D3100 to the D7000 and fnid it a lot easier to use.

In the future I'd like to go full frame but as others have said it would be used as they cost so much new

I have a Nikon 35mm 1.8 and get the distinct impression that the D7000 doesn't really like it too much from reading this thread and others. So do I get a 50mm 1.8 but will it be the same -- being a prime? One of my thoughts had been to sell my 35mm and get a Nikon 40mm macro, or Sigma 50mm macro not so much for macro (because of too close working distance) but to double up as a low light but be able to focus in closer than either the 35 or 50mm.

Help would be good?
John,

I've never had any issues with my 35mm 1.8 on D7000. This is my fave shot from that combo.

Yoghurt Chops
by Zarch1972, on Flickr

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but i still like that shot.

Have you reset all the settings on the new body? Maybe someone has been in and fiddled with the Auto Focus fine tune settings? You can change these per lens.

Thanks David I appreciate your help and offer of one to one.

Yes it is so good to get to things with more knobs without digging into the menus.

John,

I've never had any issues with my 35mm 1.8 on D7000. This is my fave shot from that combo.

Yoghurt Chops
by Zarch1972, on Flickr

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but i still like that shot.

Have you reset all the settings on the new body? Maybe someone has been in and fiddled with the Auto Focus fine tune settings? You can change these per lens.

Mick thanks for your reassurance with the lens and Yoghurt chops is so cute - a super shot.

Trying to be well prepared I'd downloaded and studied the manual before the camera came - still a shock with another learning curve even though I've been using a D5100.

I've been though each setting more than once and also looked at the possibility of fine tuning per lens but will wait until the conditions are right for me to study it. I must admit the focus options need a bit more studying.

Again thanks for your help.

No problems with my D7000 and the 35mm f1.8 either, lovely combo. In fact I've never had any problems with any lens I've put on it, fantastic body at a bargain basement price at the moment IMHO.

Good to have your reassurance as well Chris.

AF-S was my usual port of call. AF-C was good too, used it a bit for some boxing events I covered. I only tried the 3d tracking once and was amazed how good it was. There are some Gannets in flight on my photostream that were took using the 3d tracking and they are super sharp.

AF-S is my chosen setting as my subjects are always static (like me most of the time) unless I start taking shots of my new grand daughter but she's at an age where she's a right wriggle bum - just before being able to crawl I think.

Back