Nikon D800......

Dave - try Irfanview for checking the camera's shutter count. It's free - http://www.irfanview.com/.

Shutter count is called 'Total Pictures' in Irfanview. You'll find it in Image menu/Information/Exif Info button - scroll down to the 9th item from the bottom (8th item not counting the line 'Thumbnail:').

Thanks, will see what it comes up with

I don't think any Nikon boxes are ''sealed'' mine was not.
JL have agreed to exchange it so will do that tonight
Gramps - the card was formatted a few times before installing it, both by using the 2 button on the camera method and then by going into the Menu.
Thanks
Dave
Ps - another question please....if I put this new CF card into another camera will it now show 46 clicks on the new camera??

That is odd, both my D90 and D600 were sealed box units. :thinking:

Hi, My D800 had a seal over the box flap when it arrived.

Hmm, no sealed sticker on the 2 I have seen, and the JL guy said that Nikon should start and seal all boxes, anyway, JL swapped the camera put the CF card in and it recorded as the first shot, so I'm happier than I was earlier this afternoon.
Thanks everyone for your quick replies which helped me enormously in resolving this issue.
Dave

bought my D800 a present which was delivered today..

A Eye-Fi 8gb SDHC card... (impulse purchase as noted in the bargains forum lower down!)

Only to find I dont think it works well in the D800 :(
the compatibility is 'unknown' on the Sandisk site.

My D800 is very upset with me.. so i may need to change and invest in a new one!

I only wanted it to preview jpgs on my Macbook Pro and save RAW to the CF card..

*BOTTOMS*

Hmm, no sealed sticker on the 2 I have seen, and the JL guy said that Nikon should start and seal all boxes, anyway, JL swapped the camera put the CF card in and it recorded as the first shot, so I'm happier than I was earlier this afternoon.

Glad to hear JL sorted it for you.

(No box seal on mine either - and the shutter count was on 1 when I tested it).

I am at the moment reading Thom Hogan Guide on the D800 but I'm struggling to understand the part where he refers to the autofocus sensors and the maximum apertures they can work with........"" in previous Nikon models f5.6 was always the cut off point for autofocus" where as with the D800 this has been increased to f8.
Although he talks in plain English I can't get my head around what he is trying to say, so can anyone help please.
If f8 is the maximum aperture for the above what happens with aperture f8+ ??
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
If f8 is the maximum aperture for the above what happens with aperture f8+ ??
Thanks
Dave

The camera always stops down to the widest aperture for AF and metering, only closing down to the smaller aperture at the instance of capture.

What he is saying is that in the past an f4 with 1.4TC was the limit for decent AF operation, now you can use an f4 with 2xTC fitted and still get decent AF.

Thanks, Martyn, I'm still not sure if I have got this......so, if for example you set the aperture to f11 are you saying that the camera will meter down to f8 and when you press the shutter at the point of capture it will go to f11 ??
Dave

Thanks, Martyn, I'm still not sure if I have got this......so, if for example you set the aperture to f11 are you saying that the camera will meter down to f8 and when you press the shutter at the point of capture it will go to f11 ??
Dave
No. It doesn't matter what you set the aperture to, that's completely irrelevant (for the discussion about AF).

A lens needs to let light through it, for autofocus to work. It needs to let a fair bit through. How much exactly? Well on the D800, it needs to let the equivalent of f8 light through. This is important when using a tele-converter, because they reduce the amount of light that comes through the lens. An f4 (maximum aperture) lens, with a 2x TC, is effectively an f8 (maximum aperture) lens. That's not much light coming through, but it's enough for the D800 to be able to use AF.

side note:
When you look through your DSLR, you are always seeing the maximum amount of light that can come through your lens, just as the AF sees. The lens only stops down to your chosen aperture (like f11 in your example) when you take the picture, or if you use the DoF preview button (which you will note makes the viewfinder go darker).

Dave

See what Mike says above.

In addition ... lets say you are using an f2.8 lens, you set the aperture to f11 for the shot, the camera will focus and meter with the lens wide open at f2.8, during the process of releasing the shutter the camera stops down to f11 for the image capture.

You can see this by looking through the viewfinder and pressing the DOF Preview button, you will see the image in the viewfinder go darker

I'm with it....thanks Mike and Martyn for your good explanations, very much appreciated
Dave

A lens needs to let light through it, for autofocus to work. It needs to let a fair bit through. How much exactly? Well on the D800, it needs to let the equivalent of f8 light through. This is important when using a tele-converter, because they reduce the amount of light that comes through the lens. An f4 (maximum aperture) lens, with a 2x TC, is effectively an f8 (maximum aperture) lens. That's not much light coming through, but it's enough for the D800 to be able to use AF.

It's still a little confusing. Nikon's 2x teleconverter (TC-20E) reduces the aperture by two stops, so f/4 becomes f/8 (and so on) - but - the info page for the TC-20E says autofocus cannot be used on a number of f/4 lenses.

Is this a mistake? Surely a D800 would autofocus with the TC-20E fitted to any Nikon lens that has a maximum aperture of f/4 or wider.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/teleconverters/af-s_tc-20e_3/

Last edited:
It's still a little confusing. Nikon's 2x teleconverter (TC-20E) reduces the aperture by two stops, so f/4 becomes f/8 (and so on) - but - the info page for the TC-20E says autofocus cannot be used on a number of f/4 lenses.

Is this a mistake? Surely a D800 would autofocus with the TC-20E fitted to any Nikon lens that has a maximum aperture of f/4 or wider.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/teleconverters/af-s_tc-20e_3/

Looks like that TC-20III information was written on 01/12, and not updated. That extender was released prior to the D4/D800.

AF at f/8 has only been a feature since the D4/D800 launch and the information you have linked to is correct for previous flagship models and I suspect some of the lower spec current models (Dxxx and Dxxxx).

all f/4 lenses with the 2x converter (giving a maximum aperture of f/8) or wider will AF on both the D4 and D800.

Looks like that TC-20III information was written on 01/12, and not updated. ....

Yes, that's what I was thinking - but I'd have expected Nikon's website folk to change TC-20 info page once the D800/D4 were on the market. As it is the info is very confusing.

Yes, that's what I was thinking - but I'd have expected Nikon's website folk to change TC-20 info page once the D800/D4 were on the market. As it is the info is very confusing.

They are avoiding litigation should one fail to achieve AF.

All my long f4 lenses will AF with the 1.7TC on the D300 & D700, despite Nikon saying that they will not.

Interestingly, this makes the D800 just £2 more than the D610 release price this week. I am just thinking how many waiting for the D610 now will get a D800 instead :thinking:

Or are Nikon about to bring the D810 out?

I'd say they will eventually. End of the day, it's just gear - your end result will depend on your personal shooting skills, eye and well, let's be honest - processing capabilities. They can bring out all they want to milk us, but this D800E will do me for a long time. I'd be happy with a D700 even, it does same job really for what I want. Don't think I'll ever have huge prints hung in a gallery like

Having bigger mp doesn't necessary mean larger prints, with more mp i can crop like a hell if i couldn't compose it right first place, and it is always nice if you have that feature of more mp when you need it one day, same like a fast car, we all may not drive at fastest speed that a car offer, but why not.

Good luck with any gear those companies are bringing to us.

Nobody mentioned MP ... overall quality improves, you'd hope, with every new model. But if you're processing all your files anyway, it doesn't matter as much.

Last edited:
Nobody mentioned MP ... overall quality improves, you'd hope, with every new model. But if you're processing all your files anyway, it doesn't matter as much.

You mentioned that you don't think you'll ever have huge prints, to me it means more mp.

Anyway, we will see what they will put in new cameras, more high ISO, more fps, more mp....etc, whatever they do, they want to keep their markets running forever.

You mentioned that you don't think you'll ever have huge prints, to me it means more mp.

Anyway, we will see what they will put in new cameras, more high ISO, more fps, more mp....etc, whatever they do, they want to keep their markets running forever.

You think they will put "more high ISO" into the new cameras eh? Pushing the ISO levels higher does not mean anyone wants to use them in those ranges. If you mean, better performance at higher ISO? sure, I'd welcome that - but again, I don't need anything above 6400, and the D800 already performs well enough [for me] up to that.

I see you use canon. Are you considering switching for one of these new milkers?

Last edited:
You think they will put "more high ISO" into the new cameras eh? Pushing the ISO levels higher does not mean anyone wants to use them in those ranges. If you mean, better performance at higher ISO? sure, I'd welcome that - but again, I don't need anything above 6400, and the D800 already performs well enough [for me] up to that.

I see you use canon. Are you considering switching for one of these new milkers?

I will not switch yet, and i am lucky that i can add another brand without switching, but i know if i add Nikon body means i have to add glasses and who knows what else, so i can hold more on Canon new upcoming gear.

Also i can hold on my digital MF for a while even with some drawbacks, that will save me some bucks i planned to put towards milkers as you said.

Thanks for this, I was never sure about what it meant but you've explained it well.

The camera always stops down to the widest aperture for AF and metering, only closing down to the smaller aperture at the instance of capture.

What he is saying is that in the past an f4 with 1.4TC was the limit for decent AF operation, now you can use an f4 with 2xTC fitted and still get decent AF.

I'd be a bit pee'd off tbh if I was a 5200 owner.

No doubt the D800 will get hit with their milky hammer next. Let's see? erm, D810? 'x'? lol.

They can shove it! Spent enough on their gear to date. Not going to start spending on replacements.

I'd be a bit pee'd off tbh if I was a 5200 owner.

No doubt the D800 will get hit with their milky hammer next. Let's see? erm, D810? 'x'? lol.

They can shove it! Spent enough on their gear to date. Not going to start spending on replacements.

They will need to shove the boat out a bit to beat the D800.

I wont worry about a D800 replacement yet, Sony hasn't produced a new sensor yet ;).

This is just a cash back deal before Christmas, they do it all the time

Peter, I have the 50 1.4 (which I don't use frequently & supposedly no sharper than the 1.8) but might be able to find a couple of family pics, if any use?

Peter, I've just put 3 pics up. (Just click on my flickr sig in previous post) They were taken @ F5.6 & have been cropped to varying degrees. Exif should be showing?

I've had it for a few months now & love it! I have found I need to shoot at faster shutter speeds than with D700 & D7000, I don't have steady hands. lol

I guess it will take a bit of time to get used to, but worth the effort I reckon. :cool:

Ive used both the D & G versions on my d800.
I would pend the extra a get a G version if i was you. Im sure I picked mine up used for £120 or there abouts.

The D is fine bit i found my G just that bit better/sharper wide open. I've got a set on my flickr with shots from both. most the d800 one are with the G but there should be some with the D, if not theres plant taken on my d700 all shot @ 1.8.

Quick question - while the more ram the better, is 8gb fine for D800 users?

That is the minimum that Nikon suggested when I asked them last year, but they would not be held responsible if it was not enough.
I have never tried with less than 16GB therefore I cannot give an answer based on experience.

Back