Nikon D810

seems we get shafted on price again. US price is $3299(£1950) Nice £750 difference.
Looks good I have to say but won't be buying one anytime soon. Not getting stung like I did with the d800. I will wait until any issues are sorted and the price has dropped,depending on how the reviews go. If the d800 is anything to go buy wait 6-12 months and the price will have dropped substantially.

Don't think that I see anything in the spec that would tempt me to trade in my D800E. Actually more interested to hear what users are reporting about the camera in a few months time.

I think the electronic first curtain shutter looks like it may be interesting. But that's no reason to upgrade, more I'm sure tech will go more that way

No obvious reason for any D800 owner to junk an excellent camera for this, but for anyone buying now the D810 is the obvious choice once the price has settled a little.

As it stands it's £800 more than a D800.

Looks an excellent camera in terms of specification and seems to have resolved the few niggles some had about the D800 if all is well with it.

Don't think I will bother to upgrade from my D800 but if I was in the market for a new camera this would be the one.

I suppose you could say that "things only just get better"

It looks like Nikon are at least making small changes highlighted by consumer "wants' which are never ending ………

The AF system seems to get more sophisticated and the new RAW size will suit many who do not need to print images.

models now seem to have a 2 to 3 year production "life" ……… but still no replacement for the D300 ……. maybe this will never come and Nikon will stick to the D7100 "layout" and build

Just a comment that came out of the review - it is worrying that the bigger sensors bodies are showing signs of being affected by the age old DSLR "mirror" slap feature……. is there a limit to the sensor size in a DSLR because of this?

You're right there!

Is there any logical reason why Nikon can't do the same as Canon and have a small, med, and large RAW size? That would make the D800 series so much more versatile IMO.

You'll have to wait for the D815 for that.

Looking forward to this actually. Probably the right replacement for my D800 towards the end of summer.

do you reckon? - I always shoot RAW which gives greater flexibility in PP - even for web posting at 72 dpi and files less than 250k
I shot pitchside and transmitted direct to National papers, was thinking you were more meaning for like that and paparazzi stuff

I might take Calumet up on their offer of a 2 day test-drive of it, even if just to see how it feels let alone performs... not sure I need it really, my D3 is still keeping me happy and in work LOL.

And bear in mind, that historically, uk prices drop sharply in the months following launch, us ones don't

And the US price doesn't include tax, which the UK price does.

The sensor is an all new sensor too, coupled with all the other little tiny improvements makes the upgrade sum a decent one on paper - lots of little useful changes.

The change in body design looks a little funny - the 'D810' mark looks kind of like they forgot they had to stick it somewhere, so jammed it in as an afterthought. The grip looks improved.

original.jpg

Personally, the D800E is still more of a camera than I need.

Well, the D810 has at least one major drawback - the metering selector (Centre, Spot, Matrix) has gone from the back of the body and is now on the top left dial, which means you can't support the lens with your left hand and change metering modes at the same time. And the BKT button is now on the front.

D4s/610/810... you can always count on Nikon to bring out incremental changes that make people (like me) think they are putting things in that they should of and could of in the previous model...

I'd have thought nikon could at least do without the wifi adapter by now...

S-RAW is what should have been in the D800 anyway.

Ah well...

I shot pitchside and transmitted direct to National papers, was thinking you were more meaning for like that and paparazzi stuff

There will be so many possibilities soon - a "mix and match" type situation.

At around £2k to £2.5k it has to be the best value around? …. excepting any initial "teething" problems

The D810 is now shaping up to be a serious contender versus the D4S …….. add a grip, presumably the Nikon one will be up to £200 and you are probably 90% there ………. I wonder what they will do to "improve" the D4S?

used (and new) D800 prices have been falling …….. wonder what this will do to prices of the D800? … a low clicks D800 will sell for half the retail price of the D810 - (if you are lucky)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Looks to me like a very handy upgrade of what is an already excellent camera (y)

Question for Nikonites that I can't find a specific answer to: will the D810 shoot 15mp Raws in DX format at 7fps with battery grip? If so, then it will truly be two cameras in one.

Last edited:
Like most others, I see no real need to go exchanging my D800E for this. There's a few nice upgrades, particularly the one stop in ISO performance, and the improvements for shooting using Live view. But nothing that makes me want to jump on it any time soon.

Like most others, I see no real need to go exchanging my D800E for this. There's a few nice upgrades, particularly the one stop in ISO performance, and the improvements for shooting using Live view. But nothing that makes me want to jump on it any time soon.

but if you do not have a D800E is the D810 worth waiting for?

Obviously a few people want it as there is a waiting list at Greys of Westminster now. Like all 's' models a few small upgrades to last another 2-3 years before they release whatever is next.

Back