Nikon d850 "in development"

Valid points but they are workarounds, fluorescent lighting was just half the issue, you can also get jello images during panning shots because of rolling-shutter.
When it comes to LED lighting it's even worse, try working the frequency out for those and that's real skill lol. :D

You just need to buy better LED lights and the flicker goes away.

Last edited:
Valid points but they are workarounds, fluorescent lighting was just half the issue, you can also get jello images during panning shots because of rolling-shutter.
Sure, but again that happens with conventional shutters too.

I have a feeling that we're facing to communicate here. Either you don't understand how a shutter works, or you're making a point about the silent shutter mode that I'm not picking up on.....

I have a feeling that we're facing to communicate here. Either you don't understand how a shutter works, or you're making a point about the silent shutter mode that I'm not picking up on.....

My point about the silent shutter is that it's not that useful for weddings, events and sports if you have to handle it with a 70-200mm lens trying to focus via the LCD screen. The weight alone would make it uncomfortable.
Can you use the silent shutter via the OVF?

Using the silent shutter for faster action type work you'll probably end up with jello images as you'd get rolling shutter effect on anything that isn't more or less static.

Unless I'm missing something, the silent shutter on the D850 is a first for a DSLR, but it doesn't look to be any better than most mirrorless bodies which also exhibit the same traits when using silent shutter.

Let's see what the reviews say, I could be totally wrong :D
Apart from that the D850 looks like a great all round camera with the best bits from other models.

My point about the silent shutter is that it's not that useful for weddings, events and sports if you have to handle it with a 70-200mm lens trying to focus via the LCD screen. The weight alone would make it uncomfortable.
Can you use the silent shutter via the OVF?

Using the silent shutter for faster action type work you'll probably end up with jello images as you'd get rolling shutter effect on anything that isn't more or less static.

Unless I'm missing something, the silent shutter on the D850 is a first for a DSLR, but it doesn't look to be any better than most mirrorless bodies which also exhibit the same traits when using silent shutter.

Let's see what the reviews say, I could be totally wrong :D
Apart from that the D850 looks like a great all round camera with the best bits from other models.

When using the OVF the quiet electronic shutter won't work. The D850 in quiet mode is still very quiet but as long as the (dampened) mirror lifts there will always be noise. This can be further limited by use of the mirror lock up. The silent shutter will only work in Live View mode.

If you are using a 70-200mm at a wedding you are going to be that far away from the subject you are not going to need a silent shutter, you don't even need to be in quiet mode !

The 'silent' shutter in LV mode with the ability to record high resolution/ISO images in a dimly lit church is the real winner. Some of the medieval churches in York are the dimmest in the country. Silent shutter / resolution/ISO will also be useful for classic music concerts. Looking at the D850 specs this puts mirrorless cameras in the shade.

If someone may be regularly using the silent shutter or even video handheld, they could consider getting something like a Zakuto viewfinder for the rear LCD to allow the camera to be used with the eye close to the camera, and in a more comfortable position. It is magnetised and so can be put on and off when needed.

Another blindingly obvious use for the electronic shutter of which there is no mechanical wear is also to preserve the life of the mechanical one.

The 'silent' shutter in LV mode with the ability to record high resolution/ISO images in a dimly lit church is the real winner. Some of the medieval churches in York are the dimmest in the country. Silent shutter / resolution/ISO will also be useful for classic music concerts. Looking at the D850 specs this puts mirrorless cameras in the shade.

It's certainly a good evolution of the D810 and a step in the right direction but mirrorless systems have so many other advantages now that they are also viable/better options, It's great for us consumers as we have greater choice.
For me 24mp was the sweet spot for weddings so ended up going down the Sony A9 route but Nikon is a strong brand, my last Nikon was a D7000 and it was good.

Another blindingly obvious use for the electronic shutter of which there is no mechanical wear is also to preserve the life of the mechanical one.

Correct, less parts to break too I suppose.
Another big advantage is zero viewfinder black out, with all DSLR's the image your actually capturing is the one you never see due to the conventional mirror flap.

Apart from extremely rare banding from certain LED boards Sony have nailed it with the Sony A9.

Eye-AF is incredible, wouldn't buy a camera without it now going forwards.

Correct, less parts to break too I suppose.
Another big advantage is zero viewfinder black out, with all DSLR's the image your actually capturing is the one you never see due to the conventional mirror flap.

Apart from extremely rare banding from certain LED boards Sony have nailed it with the Sony A9.

Eye-AF is incredible, wouldn't buy a camera without it now going forwards.
Mmm, people have been getting great images for decades without seeing the moment the image was taken. A lot of lucky people. ;)

There will always be a delay from seeing the moment to pressing the shutter to capturing the image. Unless Sony have timed the Shutter press to capture the previous few milliseconds of the video that was passing through the camera delayed for the time of the average person takes to react to the scene, which could be possible, just because you see it, doesn't mean you have got that moment, even with 20 fps.;)

My first digital camera in 2003, a Fuji S602Z Pro, in a burst mode would continuously take images until you released the shutter button, and then save the previous number of images. Will the A9 technology improve the capture rate for the 'moment'? Time will tell. ;)

24Mp may be the 'sweet spot', and with the D850 you can have 25Mp in the medium setting, and RAW too for those that want it. :)

From what I have seen of the Eye AF it looks very good, but again, people have been focusing and getting excellent images for decades with primitive AF, and the AF on the D850 is far from primitive. ;) Improvements in AF should always be applauded and welcomed when they work, but if it is not possible in a camera you want then you learn to work with what you have, or will get when you buy. :)

Maybe a follow up to the Sony A7RII will have the improvements of the A9 and the resolution options of the D850. But for some it won't matter, because it will have an EVF. ;)

Mmm, people have been getting great images for decades without seeing the moment the image was taken. A lot of lucky people. ;)

There will always be a delay from seeing the moment to pressing the shutter to capturing the image. Unless Sony have timed the Shutter press to capture the previous few milliseconds of the video that was passing through the camera delayed for the time of the average person takes to react to the scene, which could be possible, just because you see it, doesn't mean you have got that moment, even with 20 fps.;)

My first digital camera in 2003, a Fuji S602Z Pro, in a burst mode would continuously take images until you released the shutter button, and then save the previous number of images. Will the A9 technology improve the capture rate for the 'moment'? Time will tell. ;)

24Mp may be the 'sweet spot', and with the D850 you can have 25Mp in the medium setting, and RAW too for those that want it. :)

From what I have seen of the Eye AF it looks very good, but again, people have been focusing and getting excellent images for decades with primitive AF, and the AF on the D850 is far from primitive. ;) Improvements in AF should always be applauded and welcomed when they work, but if it is not possible in a camera you want then you learn to work with what you have, or will get when you buy. :)

Maybe a follow up to the Sony A7RII will have the improvements of the A9 and the resolution options of the D850. But for some it won't matter, because it will have an EVF. ;)

Very true, 12 exposures on my old Hassleblad, hoping it didn't fall off the electro-mechanical dip n dunk during processing, in complete darkness and praying the exposures were spot on ! No Satnav back in those days, just the good old London A-Z ! - no facebook, Internet or mobile phones. Would I go back there ? - yeah like a shot !!!

Tried out a D850 today in Vauxhall. it's a heavy beast ((heavier than my well worn D810). It's also slightly taller but the body is thinner which allows s better grip than it's predecessor. The high resolution capability with articulated screen, touch screen, face recognition and silent shutter is a game changer for wildlife , wedding and surveillance photography. There is no two ways about it this is an outstanding camera. The issue of recharging batteries for the MD-18 drive is also being addressed. It's not going to be a problem.
How are those game changers? Those features have been out in other cameras for more than 2 years?

Check the Sony or fuji threads. Lots of people have down played the issues with electric shutter. It's a known issue on all cameras except for the A9.

Even I've seen banding on it and Dont use it on the a7r2.

You can always argue about how you can make do and how in the past you could shoot MF and get good results etc
The way I see things, the more features which make taking photos easier/quicker e.g. Sony's Eye-AF, 20fps, silent shutter, zero viewfinder blackout .....the better, time is money when making a living off photography and if the camera (tool) makes it easier that's surely good thing.

The D850 is minor evolution, not a game changer.

I'm really surprised by many here all of a sudden praising electric shutter because I could swear some of them slated many mirrorless cameras for having issues with electric shutter?

How come all of a sudden it's a game changer? Umm

You can always argue about how you can make do and how in the past you could shoot MF and get good results etc
The way I see things, the more features which make taking photos easier/quicker e.g. Sony's Eye-AF, 20fps, silent shutter, zero viewfinder blackout .....the better, time is money when making a living off photography and if the camera (tool) makes it easier that's surely good thing.
Anything that makes things easier is great imho. :D Just don't say that to the film users. ;) :LOL:

Not to take anything away from Nikon but I'd say the reason it feels like a big improvement is because Canon has been doing its best to make its upgrades as small as possible.

Great business approach, not so great for interesting new products.

Perhaps but it's still a going to be good body, I might come across as being harsh but in reality DSLR technology has matured that much that there probably isn't much revolution/innovation left in they current mirror technology.

I just don't see this and many other DSLR models as game changers anymore but that doesn't make them rubbish. :D

Perhaps but it's still a going to be good body, I might come across as being harsh but in reality DSLR technology has matured that much that there probably isn't much revolution/innovation left in they current mirror technology.

I wasn't complaining that the technology is at fault, I was complaining that business decisions have made a lot of the upgrades very predictable. You'll find things omitted not because they couldn't justify it but because it would have harmed their business plan for having clear separation between models. Similar to Profoto not letting the B1 be mains powered to prevent it cannibalising D1 sales despite the fact it would have made the B1 a far nicer product.

I understand perfectly they're probably correct to do this, slow predictable releases at the lowest cost gives them the biggest profit margin but as I said it doesn't feel as obvious with the D850 so appears to be a more noteworthy release.

So... anyone getting a D850 tomorrow?

I pulled back my pre-order for two units last week
because no RAW converter can handle the RAW
files as of yet.

I suppose they're all working on it though.

Last edited:
I pulled back my pre-order for two units last week
because no RAW converter can handle the RAW
files as of yet.

I suppose they're all working on it though.
Doesn't usually take adobe long, although worth waiting for imo.

I would imagine by the time Nikon get all their pre-orders out Adobe will upload an update. Both the D810 / D750 were sorted in about a month if I recall. It wasn't very long.

Doesn't usually take adobe long, although worth waiting for imo.

I am adobe free and wish to remain so!

Capture One will be up with a solution soon I'm sure!

Despite my initial protestations and thinking I wouldn't get one.... its already packed at the WEX Warehouse for delivery tomorrow..... loved using my D800 which I had for ages and love the 42mp of the A7rii but miss the larger body when I'm out landscaping (more weather proof), tied into the cheaper availability of lenses I decided to pull the trigger even though I hadn't really wanted to spend £3,500 on it, this should do me for a long, long while and I suspect its unlikely to drop much any time soon given the ever weakening point. It will also allow me to do some things that the D800 was never really to, mainly motorsport!

Despite my initial protestations and thinking I wouldn't get one.... its already packed at the WEX Warehouse for delivery tomorrow..... loved using my D800 which I had for ages and love the 42mp of the A7rii but miss the larger body when I'm out landscaping (more weather proof), tied into the cheaper availability of lenses I decided to pull the trigger even though I hadn't really wanted to spend £3,500 on it, this should do me for a long, long while and I suspect its unlikely to drop much any time soon given the ever weakening point. It will also allow me to do some things that the D800 was never really to, mainly motorsport!
Congratulations and it seems it will tick off what you want in a body/system. The A7RII is sluggish for motorsport :D

I knew it,didnt I tell you i knew it lol

I knew it,didnt I tell you i knew it lol
look forward to it in the for sale ads sometime in the future lol

Back