Nikon d850 "in development"

Going to keep a close eye to this.. Be interested to hear how people getting on with this camera D750 users and D500 users too hopefully..

Ive also seen harrisons having a few used D750 and a D500 in too of late so wondering if people be selling in for the D850

I thought that the medium RAW file option could be really useful as well. But having researched 12bit v 14bit, it seems as if there's very little difference in practice so the the option would still be a good one.
Depends on the shooting scenario I guess. I still don't understand why they've limited it though, makes no sense to me.

I'm loving everything about this camera so, it's a good upgrade from the D810 which was already a great camera.

It's the little things that just make this even better, the tilt screen is amazing and the display is a lot better. Being touch screen too is so good.

I tried out the focus stacking tonight, it is so easy to use and such a good tool to include in a camera.

Ignore lighting etc, this is just a test, 2 inch models shot with a macro and unedited as such.

850stk1.jpg

D850stk2.jpg

Last edited:
How does it work on the D850?

Simply compose your shot, focus on the point you want to start, go into the menu and choose the number of shots, distance amount to move and press start, that's it. There is an option for interval between shots incase you are using a flash and need to allow time for that to charge between ohh and you choose if you want them to create a new folder each time on the memory card to keep things separate.

Simply compose your shot, focus on the point you want to start, go into the menu and choose the number of shots, distance amount to move and press start, that's it. There is an option for interval between shots incase you are using a flash and need to allow time for that to charge between ohh and you choose if you want them to create a new folder each time on the memory card to keep things separate.

Presumably, you focus on a point in foreground so it will cover everything after that ?

I'm thinking, if you focused on something in the Middle it's not clever enough to focus before that, or is it ?

Interested on hearing peoples opinions on this camera, that shoot sports. Also, evening floodlit games ;)

Loved my D810 but the FPS wasn't enough.

What FPS does this camera have, ungripped out of the box?
7fps in full res FX

Thank you.

That's really good, as I only shoot in bursts of 2-3 anyway :)

And it has the exact same AF system as the D5? Or have they dumbed it down a little bit?
Same system according to all the reviews.

From the article

"The takeaway I got from all this is that worrying about having 14-bit files instead of 12-bit is silly if you expose well or even just don’t mess up too bad. Good post-processing can give results that make it hard if not impossible to distinguish between 12- and 14-bit files."

From the comments -

"I’ve done similar tests and come to a similar conclusion as you, but I have seen differences. They are small but they are there. Shoot a flat sky, preferably flat clouds, in both formats. Then develop them pushing up the local contrast. A Nik plug-in like the Tonal Contrast tool in Color Efex Pro is merciless in revealing when you run out of bit depth. If you push hard enough you should see banding in both formats – but it should be more obvious and appear earlier with the 12 bit file.

The main problem with lack of bit depth is banding, not lack of shadow detail. Go hunting for that and you will find it."

But having read (or skimmed at least) the comments, not everyone agrees witht the author's conclusions.

Personally i've no idea if my 5d3 files are 12- or 14- bit. It's just something I've not worried about yet...........

Last edited:
So..... anyone got a screen protector yet? Lol

Actually yeah, I got one ready a while ago. I got the "GGS Glass Screen Protector For Nikon D500" :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GGS-Glass...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It fits the D850 perfectly and the works great, no problems with the touch screen etc and that one also includes a protector for the top.

I fitted it straight away and you wouldn't know it was on.

Weird not having the big plastic one on there :)

I used to have GGS screen protectors on my Nikon D7000, I can highly recommend them.

I'm pleased, and a little surprised, that no D850 'issues' have been identified.

Yet.

I'm pleased, and a little surprised, that no D850 'issues' have been identified.

Yet.
Neither did the D750 for a couple months IIRC.

I am very happy with Fuji but like those a bit

actually when I saw them I said b dy hell

no disrespect to the shot (cos it's bloody lovely!! :) ) but that shot could easily have been taken on a multitude of cameras ;) I think the main reason to upgrade would be the usability, improved iso and features etc.

Any way, i have a d810 and i'm sorely tempted to upgrade!!!

no disrespect to the shot (cos it's bloody lovely!! :) ) but that shot could easily have been taken on a multitude of cameras ;) I think the main reason to upgrade would be the usability, improved iso and features etc.

Any way, i have a d810 and i'm sorely tempted to upgrade!!!

Smaller sized photos doesn't do it justice, the detail is incredible. What I can also say is the images straight from camera are amazing. I used to think the same about my Fuji X-T2 but these are better.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending an upgrade from the D810. I love my D810 it's still a fantastic camera, but the D850 just offers me everything I wished the D810 had, very happy with it.

I was afraid of loosing some Dynamic Range from the D810 due to the higher MP but from my tests (and not looking at numbers) it easily matches the D810 and I think better, certainly shadow details recover better visually imo. I've not really tested high ISO only low as that's what I do mostly. First clear night I'll be out doing the stars so I'll give it a good test then :)

I am very happy with Fuji but like those a bit

actually when I saw them I said b dy hell

Smaller sized photos doesn't do it justice, the detail is incredible. What I can also say is the images straight from camera are amazing. I used to think the same about my Fuji X-T2 but these are better.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending an upgrade from the D810. I love my D810 it's still a fantastic camera, but the D850 just offers me everything I wished the D810 had, very happy with it.

I was afraid of loosing some Dynamic Range from the D810 due to the higher MP but from my tests (and not looking at numbers) it easily matches the D810 and I think better, certainly shadow details recover better visually imo. I've not really tested high ISO only low as that's what I do mostly. First clear night I'll be out doing the stars so I'll give it a good test then :)

The detail is very impressive (so it should be with 46mp of goodness!), I didn't think it would be that noticeable over the 36mp of the D800/D810 but I'd say it is!
Just need to get a few prime that show it off, as good as the Tamron 24-70 is its more for flexibility than sharpness!

The D850 really does look more impressive the more I look at it, certainly everything I would ever want in a body. The GAS has started, maybe in a few years' time...
I definitely want one, it's just a case of whether I'll ever be able to afford one.

Back