Nikon d850 "in development"

more choice on the used market, look for minters with sub 10k clicks. there will be some

Yes I was thinking more in line with what you said the used market, their are always those who have to have the latest kit so should be interesting, my last upgrade was a D3,lol.

Shocking how canon are number one when imo both Sony and nikon produce better more innovative models.

Despite this being a beats of a camera that laughs all over my 5d4. The 5d4 will still sell more than this camera.

That should tell you something then.

The D850 will be a great camera. It may well move the game on but it will be out of reach price wise for many. For those people it won't be a great camera coz they can never afford to buy one. Same with the 5D4, D5, A9, 1DX MkII. They are all good camers but meaningless for very many photographers.

Nikon have some great features in their cameras 3D tracking being one of them but they'll be knackered if Sony ever stop selling them sensors which is perhaps why they aren't going into mirrorless. I've read that Sony keep some sensors back for their own use only releasing them to other brands after they have got the advantage out of them.

Nikon dropped the ball a bit with the D5. Ironically the sensor in the D5 follows Canon usual format. Giving DR away at lower ISO and getting it back at higher ISO. Nikon can't afford to do that with the D850.

That should tell you something then.

The D850 will be a great camera. It may well move the game on but it will be out of reach price wise for many. For those people it won't be a great camera coz they can never afford to buy one. Same with the 5D4, D5, A9, 1DX MkII. They are all good camers but meaningless for very many photographers.

Nikon have some great features in their cameras 3D tracking being one of them but they'll be knackered if Sony ever stop selling them sensors which is perhaps why they aren't going into mirrorless. I've read that Sony keep some sensors back for their own use only releasing them to other brands after they have got the advantage out of them.

Nikon dropped the ball a bit with the D5. Ironically the sensor in the D5 follows Canon usual format. Giving DR away at lower ISO and getting it back at higher ISO. Nikon can't afford to do that with the D850.
Yea. This is why people should start taking Sony seriously. They can basically throw in a mirrorless camera that could have more features than this camera and call it a day.

Sony are laughing as there sensors are being used on other cameras and smartphone that people are buying over a 5d4/d8xx

Yea. This is why people should start taking Sony seriously. They can basically throw in a mirrorless camera that could have more features than this camera and call it a day.

Sony are laughing as there sensors are being used on other cameras and smartphone that people are buying over a 5d4/d8xx
Do you work for Sony ;) :p

Yes you're right. Sony have some great ideas and aren't afriaid to push the boundaries. Doesn't always work but full credit to them for trying. However they will need to drop the tech into lower spec bodies to compete properly with Canon and Nikon if they are trying to steal sales from DSLRs.

They don't have anything to compete with the D500/7D2. They need to bring something out at this level in the market. They also seem to have a fairly quick turn over of models. In the short time they have been really trying to establish themselves they seem to have produced several variants of the same model.

I seriously cannot ever see the day that I would buy a Sony A9 no matter how good it is. The cost would simply be prohibitive. If you have a massive investment in long primes then it's always going to make you think twice. Different for a landscape photographer although im sure that you can rack up a fairly hefty investment in wide primes etc.

The bottom line is that variety is always good. No cameras are bad, none are perfect even for their biggest fans.

Yes you're right. Sony have some great ideas and aren't afriaid to push the boundaries. Doesn't always work but full credit to them for trying. However they will need to drop the tech into lower spec bodies to compete properly with Canon and Nikon if they are trying to steal sales from DSLRs.

They don't have anything to compete with the D500/7D2. They need to bring something out at this level in the market. They also seem to have a fairly quick turn over of models. In the short time they have been really trying to establish themselves they seem to have produced several variants of the same model.

I seriously cannot ever see the day that I would buy a Sony A9 no matter how good it is. The cost would simply be prohibitive. If you have a massive investment in long primes then it's always going to make you think twice. Different for a landscape photographer although im sure that you can rack up a fairly hefty investment in wide primes etc.

The bottom line is that variety is always good. No cameras are bad, none are perfect even for their biggest fans.
Do you work for Sony ;) :p
Yes i do, I can sell you our A7r2 sensors for you to put on your up and coming d850 camera ;)

without IBIS do you think it will suffer the same issues the 5dsr does at at lower shutter speeds?

No, it will be easier to hold because of the grip, and balance better with heavier lenses.

Plus they'll be on tripods, manually focussed in live view giving exceptional detail.

scenario I'm thinking about is a wedding or event tog using a prime in poor light with a lowish shutter speed. where tripods arnt really a viable option.

scenario I'm thinking about is a wedding or event tog using a prime in poor light with a lowish shutter speed. where tripods arnt really a viable option.

Probably not the camera for that tbh. D5 would be better but I can hand hold D810 and get sharp images off it, this should be no different

without IBIS do you think it will suffer the same issues the 5dsr does at at lower shutter speeds?

That's my only slight concern. My mate got rid of his 5DSR as 99% of the shots he took handheld were not sharp unless using an incredibly fast SS. Although I also remember when the D800 came out and people were worried about the same thing.

Either way I'm ordering one and will find out then :)

Press release of the D850 launch leaked, pretty much as expected: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/

August 24, 2017 - Nikon is pleased to present the new Nikon D850 digital SLR, perfect combination of resolution, speed and light sensitivity. From studio photography to sports, to reportage in the most remote places on the planet, the new full-frame DSLR in Nikon FX format not only delivers high performance, but brings photo excellence to a whole new level.

Whether it's naturalistic, sporting, commercial, wedding, fashion photography, whether it's shooting movies, the D850 offers photographers who work in highly competitive fields the creative flexibility needed to excel. The fast, 45.7-megapixel FX high-resolution FX sensor is built with the "gapless on-chip" microlent technology that, together with the benefits of CMOS backlight, delivers exceptional detail sharpness along with an incredible dynamic range. The shooting speed of 7 fps can go up to 9 fps by adopting the optional MB-D18 multi power battery pack. Video-makers can then record full-size movies in 4K without clipping factor crops: this increases the chances when looking for extended field corners to resume with NIKKOR prime lens lenses. Additionally, you can record timelapse of 4K accelerated movies directly on "camera".

The other new features that allow maximum flexibility include capturing RAW format in three different sizes: large, medium or small; The silent Photography mode, which makes it possible to shoot ultra-sharp, high-resolution images without the sound / mechanical shutter noise; The AF Pinpoint mode, available in Live View, allows you to make the auto focus more accurate and selective as required, for example, in the case of macro photography.

In addition, the Nikon D850 is the first digital reflex of all time to offer "on-camera" focus-stacking mode, which allows you to shoot a series of shots sequentially of the same shot but with the focus plane Motorized in displacement. This mode is particularly useful in macro photography, when the close distance of the subject narrows the depth of field to a few millimeters but also for artistic representations of naturalistic scenarios to enhance the extreme depth of field.

Nikon says: "The D850 offers such incredible versatility to give you the impression of working with three cameras in one. Megapixels, file size, speed, ISO ... in every field, you can be assured that the Nikon D850 excels! It's a really smart investment for photographers who want to enhance their skills and express themselves without compromise. "

Summary of main functions:

Resolution: 45.7 megapixels of effective resolution. 45.4 MP files rich in detail. CMOS backlit sensor in full Nikon FX format and without low-pass optical filter.
Speeds: 7 fps or 9 fps when using the optional MB-D18 multi-power battery pack (with the EN-EL18B battery inserted).
ISO Sensitivity in Light: The powerful Nikon EXPEED 5 image processor delivers outstandingly sharp images in the ISO 64-25.600 range, expandable from 32 to 102.400 ISO (equivalent). The full ISO range is also available for 4K video shooting.
Accuracy: The same phenomenal 153-point Autofocus system of the Nikon D5 top range provides sensitivity up to -4EV at the center point (ISO 100, 20 ° C). Exposure measurement up to -3EV allows precise exposure even under conditions where the only source of light is lunar.
4K video with no clipping factor: Record full-size movies at 4K / UHD at 30p, without clipping factor limitations. Snap for over three hours using the MB-D18 multi-power battery pack.
Accelerated time-lapse movies in 4K directly "on the camera" but not only: in addition, the Nikon D850 uses its 45.7 megapixels to create fast and spectacular 8K post-production movies.
RAW format flexibility: Snaps into 45.4 MP RAW format (large size), 25.6 MP (average size), or 11.4 MP (small size).
In every room: thanks to its rugged body and ready to handle all weather conditions, the Nikon D850 is ready to resume in any kind of extreme environment. The same full-blinking light on the Nikon D5 guarantees ease of use even in the middle of the night.
Quick Store: The two-card slot drive allows you to use a SD UHS-II and an XQD for quick file save.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/#ixzz4qWovPvys

Press release of the D850 launch leaked, pretty much as expected: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/

August 24, 2017 - Nikon is pleased to present the new Nikon D850 digital SLR, perfect combination of resolution, speed and light sensitivity. From studio photography to sports, to reportage in the most remote places on the planet, the new full-frame DSLR in Nikon FX format not only delivers high performance, but brings photo excellence to a whole new level.

Whether it's naturalistic, sporting, commercial, wedding, fashion photography, whether it's shooting movies, the D850 offers photographers who work in highly competitive fields the creative flexibility needed to excel. The fast, 45.7-megapixel FX high-resolution FX sensor is built with the "gapless on-chip" microlent technology that, together with the benefits of CMOS backlight, delivers exceptional detail sharpness along with an incredible dynamic range. The shooting speed of 7 fps can go up to 9 fps by adopting the optional MB-D18 multi power battery pack. Video-makers can then record full-size movies in 4K without clipping factor crops: this increases the chances when looking for extended field corners to resume with NIKKOR prime lens lenses. Additionally, you can record timelapse of 4K accelerated movies directly on "camera".

The other new features that allow maximum flexibility include capturing RAW format in three different sizes: large, medium or small; The silent Photography mode, which makes it possible to shoot ultra-sharp, high-resolution images without the sound / mechanical shutter noise; The AF Pinpoint mode, available in Live View, allows you to make the auto focus more accurate and selective as required, for example, in the case of macro photography.

In addition, the Nikon D850 is the first digital reflex of all time to offer "on-camera" focus-stacking mode, which allows you to shoot a series of shots sequentially of the same shot but with the focus plane Motorized in displacement. This mode is particularly useful in macro photography, when the close distance of the subject narrows the depth of field to a few millimeters but also for artistic representations of naturalistic scenarios to enhance the extreme depth of field.

Nikon says: "The D850 offers such incredible versatility to give you the impression of working with three cameras in one. Megapixels, file size, speed, ISO ... in every field, you can be assured that the Nikon D850 excels! It's a really smart investment for photographers who want to enhance their skills and express themselves without compromise. "

Resolution: 45.7 megapixels of effective resolution. 45.4 MP files rich in detail. CMOS backlit sensor in full Nikon FX format and without low-pass optical filter.
Speeds: 7 fps or 9 fps when using the optional MB-D18 multi-power battery pack (with the EN-EL18B battery inserted).
ISO Sensitivity in Light: The powerful Nikon EXPEED 5 image processor delivers outstandingly sharp images in the ISO 64-25.600 range, expandable from 32 to 102.400 ISO (equivalent). The full ISO range is also available for 4K video shooting.
Accuracy: The same phenomenal 153-point Autofocus system of the Nikon D5 top range provides sensitivity up to -4EV at the center point (ISO 100, 20 ° C). Exposure measurement up to -3EV allows precise exposure even under conditions where the only source of light is lunar.
4K video with no clipping factor: Record full-size movies at 4K / UHD at 30p, without clipping factor limitations. Snap for over three hours using the MB-D18 multi-power battery pack.
Accelerated time-lapse movies in 4K directly "on the camera" but not only: in addition, the Nikon D850 uses its 45.7 megapixels to create fast and spectacular 8K post-production movies.
RAW format flexibility: Snaps into 45.4 MP RAW format (large size), 25.6 MP (average size), or 11.4 MP (small size).
In every room: thanks to its rugged body and ready to handle all weather conditions, the Nikon D850 is ready to resume in any kind of extreme environment. The same full-blinking light on the Nikon D5 guarantees ease of use even in the middle of the night.
Quick Store: The two-card slot drive allows you to use a SD UHS-II and an XQD for quick file save.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/#ixzz4qWovPvys
Dammit they've just gone and made my perfect camera with the exact specs I listed as my wish list, especially the ability to shoot at different MPs. Well actually it's not quite perfect, it's not going to weigh 400g and cost £250 :LOL:

Just think, in 10 years time I might be able to afford one :facepalm:

And if the video by the Ken is correct it has BSI Sensor & Gapless Microlens which means there may not be a drop in dynamic range over the D810, infact it may be a stop better.

This is shaping up to be a killer camera, can't wait to get one.

It's aimed at landscapers, and for pretty much always you can. Hand holding these aren't a problem, it wasn't with the D800 and D810 and it won't be with this.

It isn't according to the press release it is aimed at sports and wedding photographers, don't think they even mentioned landscape photographers unless that's what they mean by naturalistic but I took that as being birders etc.

Whether it's naturalistic, sporting, commercial, wedding, fashion photography, whether it's shooting movies, the D850 offers photographers who work in highly competitive fields the creative flexibility needed to excel.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/#ixzz4qZ4KRnrW

Last edited:
It isn't according to the press release it is aimed at sports and wedding photographers, don't think they even mentioned landscape photographers unless that's what they mean by naturalistic but I took that as being birders etc.

Whether it's naturalistic, sporting, commercial, wedding, fashion photography, whether it's shooting movies, the D850 offers photographers who work in highly competitive fields the creative flexibility needed to excel.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/#ixzz4qZ4KRnrW
I think that seeing as the previous models were great landscape cameras, and this will have all they had, plus new features and more resolution, being a great landscape camera is given, now they are trying to appeal to other types of photographers. [emoji6]

Sensor will be better than the A7R2 and the body itself leagues better.

The body will certainly be bigger and heavier and to some that's better. Give me a camera that'll fit in a very small bag or a winter coat pocket any day over something that has to be carried in a ruck sack and tripod mounted.

Rip canon! Doubt they will react to this

The body will certainly be bigger and heavier and to some that's better. Give me a camera that'll fit in a very small bag or a winter coat pocket any day over something that has to be carried in a ruck sack and tripod mounted.

The lenses are quite big for the sony systems. Give me something my fingers can operate easily and feels comfortable in the hand rather than something that feels like a toy.

Sensor will be better than the A7R2 and the body itself leagues better.
Sensor is from Sony so nikon are paying them. The a7r3 will most likely have same sensor or better.

The body will be heavier and bigger than a a7r2. Apples to oranges.

I predict the d900 to be all mirrorless

The lenses are quite big for the sony systems. Give me something my fingers can operate easily and feels comfortable in the hand rather than something that feels like a toy.
No, they're not. I do wish people would stop saying this. Yes, a Sony 70-200mm F2.8 is more or less the same size as a DSLR 70-200mm f2.8 but try pitting a D850 and compact prime in a very small bag or winter coat pocket and you'll soon see that some systems offer you the option of a very small package if that's what you want.

As for handling, I don't have sausages for fingers and I have no problems operating any of my CSC's :D

And a PS.

Every time I read something like this I wonder how people like you coped in the days of film, if you're old enough, as back then cameras were very often the size of... a CSC... and not the size of a modern DSLR and nowhere near the weight. That was certainly the case with every SLR or RF or quality film compact I had. One thing CSC's have done is given people like me the chance to shed the unnecessary bulk of DSLR's and return to a more compact camera system. Hurray :D

Anyway, I'm taking this off topic so I'm off :D

Last edited:
Oh that old chestnut. Sony Imaging (who make cameras) is a separate company to Sony Semiconductors (who make image sensors) and are as much a customer to Sony Semiconductors as Nikon are. At this point, Sony Semiconductors are making more money from Nikon than they are from Sony Imaging.

To be fair, Sony A7's are still big and heavy in a coat pocket. Whilst they may fit, it's not really that comfortable and practical imo. I don't even like carrying my m4/3 in my coat pocket, it's a PITA. Of course, YMMV (y).

But I don't get all the arguing over FF DSLRs vs Sony A7's. They're different beasts aimed at different people. For the people that prefer DSLRs they'll argue all day that DSLR is better, for those that prefer mirrorless they'll argue all day that the A7 is better.

It is fun winding Jonney up about A7's/the A9 though ;) :p

It isn't according to the press release it is aimed at sports and wedding photographers

I don't think they need to as it's a given. The D810 was/is still one of the best Landscape DSLRs so that is going to be covered without a doubt. They probably feel the need to emphasise the rest more as most people would not expect it to be a workable sports camera etc.

No, they're not. I do wish people would stop saying this. Yes, a Sony 70-200mm F2.8 is more or less the same size as a DSLR 70-200mm f2.8 but try pitting a D850 and compact prime in a very small bag or winter coat pocket and you'll soon see that some systems offer you the option of a very small package if that's what you want.

Then you are looking at a completely different market, you are talking casual or travel photography. When you start adding good lenses to your mirrorless then it starts getting bigger. Yes the camera body is always going to be smaller but that soon gets outweighed by the lenses.

lol I thought it meant people who shoot in the nude :)

Oh that old chestnut. Sony Imaging (who make cameras) is a separate company to Sony Semiconductors (who make image sensors) and are as much a customer to Sony Semiconductors as Nikon are. At this point, Sony Semiconductors are making more money from Nikon than they are from Sony Imaging.

Correct, Sony is very clever to have separated certain product lines into separate companies.
Sony do however get their best sensors first with around a 6-9 month head start before it's added to the list where 3rd parties like Nikon can buy them.

At the end of the day Sony are dictating where the sensor market is heading and have the upper hand.
When Canon & Nikon release their mirrorless systems Sony could easily restrict what competitors can and can not use.

I don't think they need to as it's a given. The D810 was/is still one of the best Landscape DSLRs so that is going to be covered without a doubt. They probably feel the need to emphasise the rest more as most people would not expect it to be a workable sports camera etc.

You made a blanket statement saying the camera was aimed at landscape shooters when all of the commercial advertising states that this isn't the case at all. You also said that camera shake wouldn't be an issue because all landscape shooters would be using a tripod. However that will be an issue for all of the sports and wedding photographers Nikon are actually to push the camera at.

Correct, Sony is very clever to have separated certain product lines into separate companies.
Sony do however get their best sensors first with around a 6-9 month head start before it's added to the list where 3rd parties like Nikon can buy them.

At the end of the day Sony are dictating where the sensor market is heading and have the upper hand.
When Canon & Nikon release their mirrorless systems Sony could easily restrict what competitors can and can not use.

Sony's biggest issue is at the service end of things when stuff goes wrong, absolutely horrendous making them not an option for anyone that relies on their equipment for work. The others aren't perfect either but Sony are truly awful.

Sony's biggest issue is at the service end of things when stuff goes wrong, absolutely horrendous making them not an option for anyone that relies on their equipment for work. The others aren't perfect either but Sony are truly awful.

I've not encountered any issues with the Sony FE bodies I've owned so can't really comment on the repairs service, Sony Pro Support is rolling out to offer greater service so they know it needs addressing.

I guess Nikon need to offer a good after sales service given that their QC is poor resulting in recalls etc ;)

I'm sure the Nikon D850 will be a hit but there isn't anything ground breaking that shouts out to me.

Interesting to me... If the silent mode is a true global electronic shutter using even just 1/2 resolution, that could be a game changer IMO. The higher FPS would be beneficial for me as well. And built in focus stacking would be very nice too. The rest of it wouldn't matter to me, and if it has the "broken" dynamic AF modes of the D5/D500 that would be a bit of a negative IMO.

I'll wait on this one, but I could potentially see being able to justify the upgrade.

Back